Adobe Creative Apps Go Cloud Only

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We missed this news from a few weeks ago, but Adobe has quietly ended the sale of the Creative Suite software. You can now only get their applications through the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription model.</p>
<p>This makes a lot of sense, as Adobe’s <a href="http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/18/adobe-raises-revenue-profit-forecasts-above-estimates-on-cloud-momentum.html">profits continue to rise</a> on the back of the subscription services.</p>
<p><strong>From Adobe:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Looking for Creative Suite 6? The latest versions of all your favorite apps like Photoshop and Illustrator are only available with a Creative Cloud membership. You’ll also get hundreds of step-by-step tutorials, built-in design templates, your own portfolio website, and more.</p>
<p>As of January 9, 2017 Creative Suite is no longer available for purchase.</p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Re: Adobe Software Goes Cloud Only

Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to loose me as customer.

Currently they are keeping Lr as a stand alone option. They know not everyone can be tied to a network connection and in not giving photographers a stand alone option. They would in fact alienate a huge portion of their customer base. There is already to many options on the market at comparable prices that offer more or less the same features in Lightroom (often times more features). So currently there is no word that they will be moving to CC only with Lr. However that could always changes in a few years. Who knows.

Honestly I been temped a few times to move to Capture One.. I really wished Adobe would add a structure adjustment to Lr and layers FFS...

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

ExodistPhotography said:
Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to loose me as customer.

Currently they are keeping Lr as a stand alone option. They know not everyone can be tied to a network connection and in not giving photographers a stand alone option. They would in fact alienate a huge portion of their customer base. There is already to many options on the market at comparable prices that offer more or less the same features in Lightroom (often times more features). So currently there is no word that they will be moving to CC only with Lr. However that could always changes in a few years. Who knows.

Honestly I been temped a few times to move to Capture One.. I really wished Adobe would add a structure adjustment to Lr and layers FFS...

You don't need an internet connection to run Lightroom CC. As far as I've been told, the subscription model for the latest Lightroom version outsold the standalone by a fair margin.

The subscription model is also less money over the long run if you purchase year subscriptions when they go on sale. It's only $100 a year, which is a steal for what it is. You also get Photoshop included for that price.

Capture One is $300 to buy or $15/mth if you sign up for 12 months, or $25/mth quarterly commitment.

Honestly, I don't understand the aversion to subscription software such as Lightroom/Photoshop if you're going to save money.

I will say I killed my Illustrator CC subscription because it was $20/mth and I might use it twice a month. I found a capable $30 replacement.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
ExodistPhotography said:
Click said:

You don't need an internet connection to run Lightroom CC. As far as I've been told, the subscription model for the latest Lightroom version outsold the standalone by a fair margin.

The subscription model is also less money over the long run if you purchase year subscriptions when they go on sale. It's only $100 a year, which is a steal for what it is. You also get Photoshop included for that price.

Capture One is $300 to buy or $15/mth if you sign up for 12 months, or $25/mth quarterly commitment.

Honestly, I don't understand the aversion to subscription software such as Lightroom/Photoshop if you're going to save money.

I will say I killed my Illustrator CC subscription because it was $20/mth and I might use it twice a month. I found a capable $30 replacement.

That's because it's not saving money if you don't buy every release or if you buy using academic discount.

I spent a $75 or less on LR4 and LR6, so $150 combine over nearly 3 years (maybe more, I forget when I originally got LR4). I'd have paid double at $300 using the subscription. Not to mention since I own two perpetual licenses I can use lightroom on more than 2 machines (albeit older LR4 on two).

I'm also in the crowd that if it goes subscription only I'll stick with LR6 and convert to DNG with any unsupported camera bodies or I'll move to a different software solution as I see fit.

Upvote 0
The aversion to subscription model pricing is that for those of us in the long haul, we AREN'T saving money.

Lightroom CC is 9.99 a month, which yes, is not bad. Lightroom 6 to purchase outright is about $150 give or take.

After 12 months of paying $9.99 for CC I will have shelled out 119.88. Cheaper than standalone.
After 24 months of paying $9.99 for CC I will have shelled out 239.76.
After 36 months its over $350 I've spent.

What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom. Nada. That doesn't sit well with me. If I've paid over 350 dollars I sure want something to show for it.

Are there upsides to CC? Yes, new features, but I'm still happily running Lightroom 5 with no issues. Thats 4 years for about $3 a month.

Upvote 0
cpeak66 said:
The aversion to subscription model pricing is that for those of us in the long haul, we AREN'T saving money.

Lightroom CC is 9.99 a month, which yes, is not bad. Lightroom 6 to purchase outright is about $150 give or take.

After 12 months of paying $9.99 for CC I will have shelled out 119.88. Cheaper than standalone.
After 24 months of paying $9.99 for CC I will have shelled out 239.76.
After 36 months its over $350 I've spent.

What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom. Nada. That doesn't sit well with me. If I've paid over 350 dollars I sure want something to show for it.

Are there upsides to CC? Yes, new features, but I'm still happily running Lightroom 5 with no issues. Thats 4 years for about $3 a month.
Well you do get Photoshop too :)

Upvote 0

Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to lose me as customer.

+1, used lightroom 4, skipped 5 (offered no interesting new features for me) and purchased 6 again.

Absolutely dislike monthly cost - especially for Photoshop which I occasionally would have liked to use ( and so far used MS-paint and gimp - but these are far from great). Last year learned about Affinity Photo for a ~40 euro once-off cost. Brilliant, purchased it the instant I learned about it - and if lightroom goes cloud, then I go affinity :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to lose me as customer.

Same here, both at home and at work...

I have 2 work computers.... one for email, corporate stuff, and surfing..... and a second one for the real work. For security reasons, it is not net accessible, and that means NO CLOUD! Goodbye Adobe.....

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
As far as I've been told, the subscription model for the latest Lightroom version outsold the standalone by a fair margin.
Likely because it's been very difficult to find how to buy it standalone.

What if I don't want to buy every new version? What if I want to buy every second or third version because there's not enough improvement?

I'd much rather pay $140 one time to purchase a perpetual license than pay $100/year.

For people who make a living doing photography the subscription make sense. For amateurs or people of limited means it's in insult. It also negates the option to give your old version away after an upgrade.

Sorry, you haven't come close to convincing me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
cpeak66 said:

That is simply not true.

If you stop paying for CC you still keep Lightroom, in perpetuity. It stays on your drive and opens just fine. You can use the Library, Slideshow, Web, Book and Print modules, you can export any of your images either with their LR development settings (made prior to deactivation) or without. You lose the Develop and Map modules.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015

kalmiya said:
Click said:

+1, used lightroom 4, skipped 5 (offered no interesting new features for me) and purchased 6 again.

Absolutely dislike monthly cost - especially for Photoshop which I occasionally would have liked to use ( and so far used MS-paint and gimp - but these are far from great). Last year learned about Affinity Photo for a ~40 euro once-off cost. Brilliant, purchased it the instant I learned about it - and if lightroom goes cloud, then I go affinity :)

I never used LR, but switched to AP as soon as PS went CC. The sooner you rip of the Adobe bandaid, the quicker the pain is over. No regrets here.

Upvote 0