Adobe Creative Apps Go Cloud Only

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Re: Adobe Software Goes Cloud Only

Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to lose me as customer.
They have already. There will be no more stand-alone Lightroom.
I agree. I am not signing up to tithe Adobe with my earnings. . It's absurd. There is no "real" innovation in the software any longer. Most of the changes are just changes, and some are for the worse.
If the majority want to be sheep lead down a path to a company's financial benefit, and not theirs, then that is their choice.
There are many other choices than taking that route.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

Fatalv said:
Canon Rumors said:
ExodistPhotography said:
Click said:
If Adobe is doing the same with Lightroom, they are going to loose me as customer.

You don't need an internet connection to run Lightroom CC. As far as I've been told, the subscription model for the latest Lightroom version outsold the standalone by a fair margin.

The subscription model is also less money over the long run if you purchase year subscriptions when they go on sale. It's only $100 a year, which is a steal for what it is. You also get Photoshop included for that price.

Capture One is $300 to buy or $15/mth if you sign up for 12 months, or $25/mth quarterly commitment.

Honestly, I don't understand the aversion to subscription software such as Lightroom/Photoshop if you're going to save money.

I will say I killed my Illustrator CC subscription because it was $20/mth and I might use it twice a month. I found a capable $30 replacement.
I spent a $75 or less on LR4 and LR6, so $150 combine over nearly 3 years (maybe more, I forget when I originally got LR4). I'd have paid double at $300 using the subscription. Not to mention since I own two perpetual licenses I can use lightroom on more than 2 machines (albeit older LR4 on two).

I'm also in the crowd that if it goes subscription only I'll stick with LR6 and convert to DNG with any unsupported camera bodies or I'll move to a different software solution as I see fit.

I agree. I am doing the exact same thing. There is no "needed" innovation in the software...for the most part. That could change, but I have seen nothing to persuade me. Adobe is holding people hostage if they decide to buy a new camera. It's insulting. I could see a small reasonable fee for updates to stand-alone versions..but hey..this is what corporations do..it's about share-holder value...not value to you, the customer.
Yes, converting to DNG is another couple of steps but I have just included that in my workflow, and it is becoming routine. I am not "missing out on anything "so far" and have not had to learn and trust new software.
That's because it's not saving money if you don't buy every release or if you buy using academic discount.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Main reason: ~30% year-over-year growth

I've read a lot of things like Orangutan's statement "Because they want to"... Geee I hope, you guy work for someone, because if you manage your own business, you'll be out of work in no time.

Main reason: ~30% year-over-year growth

Secondary: Dropping support of older versions, concentrating on cleaning bugs of incremental versions. That possibly costs a lot. Not only due to human workforce hours cut, but also as image cleaning, since most rant always goes to older versions issues.

Now they'll require from you to update to the latest version. If there are issues with it. They can concentrate on gathering info on the issue and fixing it (investing more human workforce hours).

Why everyone are complaining about LR?!? With Photography you get Photoshop. The software that used to cost about $3000...

Photographers - need essentially LR - true. I guess Adobe might make a 5$ offer for LR only... if they see decline in Photographer's package... :/

Currently there are at least 2 or 3 other package that are a serious competition. So far the best LR feature still remain the catalog. Performance is better but still quite away.

And I believe ADOBE knows exactly what they are doing...

Upvote 0
Judging from the masses of easily available pirated copies of CC out there that bypass the activation servers completely, I'd say that there is still a high level of interest in non-subscription pricing! ;D

A market will always find it's proper price. When something is priced too high, the market will find alternatives. The sheer volume of CC hacks tells me that it isn't priced correctly. The fact that Adobe is making money on subscription pricing doesn't disprove that. The real story is the lost potential revenue/profit.

All I know is I keep a tight lid on monthly costs, which makes Adobe simply a cost to be controlled. There was a time when I would buy their software, but they haven't received a cent from me in years, nor will they ever again. It isn't about money, it's about having choice removed. I don't support that with dollars.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
DPP, Capture One, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

Done.

The equivalent of less than an year CC - for keeps.

No Adobe tax, no forced network connection in order
to make the software work (and give the NSA access).

And no blackmailing with my life achievements, threatening
me with not being able to rework my imagery after dropping
the subscription.

Upvote 0
cpeak66 said:
What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom.
Not to be able to use the program is only one aspect. The other is, you don't have access to your data any more. All your work is basically lost if one day you stop paying for the software, unless you can convert it to some ohter format. I'm not very comfortable with this idea. Now, if I calculate 50years (I hope to live that long) of subscription for lightroom CC vs. 120 USD for a perpetual licence for LR6... I know this comparison is not fair, but not everyone desperately wants new features, some of us just want to use a good software for years and years.

Fortunately alternatives exist (both free and commercial). If Adobe keeps tightening the screws, I may take a look at them, so far, this has not been necessary...

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
Honestly, I don't understand the aversion to subscription software such as Lightroom/Photoshop if you're going to save money.

My aversion is due to this:

A major problem with CC is that Adobe is not making it available worldwide. It is only available in select countries. In the last 10 years I have spent lots and lots of money on Adobe software, only to find myself being abandoned by Adobe: I have been waiting for years to buy a CC subscription, but Adobe is stubbornly not making CC available in my region/country (even though the CC trial is and has always been). My raw files are no longer supported by my version of CS.

I know of many other photographers who are in the same situation as I am. I can only surmise that Adobe has abandoned thousands and thousands of photographers worldwide (not to mention graphic designers and other artists).

I hope that you can now understand my aversion to CC and everything Adobe.

What makes any of you think that Adobe will not abandon or otherwise hold you hostage in the future? Don't ever forget that they have done it to me and to so many other loyal customers worldwide.

I have since been forced to move to On1 Photo Raw and to Affinity Photo. They are not yet up to the level of Adobe, but hopefully they will be soon.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that Adobe had ceased selling CS6 products over a year ago - they certain hid the option well.

I have CS5 suite, and am currently running LR6. The Lightroom is an upgrade from LR5 - the option was not well documented, and to top it off the upgrade was as expensive as the previous full version of LR5 IIRC. I will not be entering into a lease for life arrangement.

IMO Photoshop, InDesign and several other products are mature - most features (aside from being able to convert raw files from newer cameras) are already there. I mostly features like Levels and Clone in Photoshop.

Side note: it has been my experience that older programs are more easily run on the Windows OS than on OS X/MAC OS. I just checked an X86 program in Windows 10 - there are comparability options for as far back as Windows 95! Not that you are guaranteed to be able to run something that old. It has been my experience that OS X is much pickier.

I know shareholders are very happy with Adobe these days - not sure why. There is an opportunity for other companies to get their act together and aggressively compete against Adobe.

Upvote 0
I guess I'll be keeping my version of LR for a while now.. Glad I got it when I did so I have one of the more recent versions. :( however, if I end up getting a 6D ii, I might need to get something new to support the files. (or use DPP to convert to DNG, but that's clumsy.)
I admit I'm gradually accepting the subscription model idea, however, I won't be getting it as it's too expensive. I might just go to something free like Darktable I guess...
As CR posted on their original post, Adobe's profits are going up on the back of the subscription model. That means someone is paying more, not less - probably a lot of people.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
cpeak66 said:
What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom. Nada.

That is simply not true.

If you stop paying for CC you still keep Lightroom, in perpetuity. It stays on your drive and opens just fine. You can use the Library, Slideshow, Web, Book and Print modules, you can export any of your images either with their LR development settings (made prior to deactivation) or without. You lose the Develop and Map modules.
OK, didn't know this, this is a bit comforting. Only a bit, however, as this policy may also change at any time. Still don't like the subscription idea too much.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:

Because people - naturally and correctly - are worried that if the licensing software breaks down or encounters another problem you're left with having paid for something you simply cannot use.

I spent months with Adobe in utter, complete denial never doing anything at all to help me after I bought Adobe CC. Just to make clear: I had paid Adobe. Adobe agreed I had paid. Adobe could not get their system to allow me to activate their software - for months - with zero help in spite of call after call, mail after mail. This was not an issue with my PC or anything.

Adobe's system simply did not allow me to activate month after month after month after month after month... while they had my money on their account all the time...

In the end Adobe gave up fixing their broken system and just gave me the full Adobe package for 2 years. It activated and installed. Still wondering what will happen when i eventually go back to Adobe CC.

What was particularly galling was all the times Adobe support lied to me (we are talking dozens of broken promises).

That's why people prefer software you can manage yourself.

Below an excerpt from one of my countless mails to Adobe support:

On May 20, 2016
Sirai said to me that
1) My case was escalated
2) Your team would come back to me within 24-48 hours
This was a lie. Nothing happened. I was never contacted.

On May 24, 2016
Sandeep said to me that
1) My case was escalated
2) Your team would come back to me "soon"

On June 1, 2016
Chidananda said to me that
1) My case was escalated
2) Your team would come back to me with 2 to 3 business days

On Jun 8, 2016
Venkatesh said to me
1) My case was escalated again this time "to the next level"
2) Your team would come back to me within 24-48 hours

On Jun 10, 2016
Sumola said to me
1) My case was escalated again this time "to the senior level"
2) Your team would come back to me within 24 hours

On Jun 15, 2016
Deepak said to me
1) I would have to wait more
2) Your team would come back to me "at the earliest"

On Jun 30, 2016
Manoharprasead said to me
1) The case was now with the "most" senior team
2) The case was now made a "priority"
3) Your team would come back to me "at the earliest"

On Jul 12, 2016
Mayur said to me:
1) My new codes have been generated and I would recieve them with 24-48 hours

On Jul 17, 2016
Chandan Kumar said to me
1) Your relevant team was working on this
2) Your team would give me the codes within 24 hours
3) The case would be escalated again

On Jul 19, 2016
Bharath S said to me
1) Codes had been sent
2) The case would be escalated again
3) Your team would come back to me "at the earliest"

On Jul 22, 2016
Jagadeshan said to me
1) He would "personally follow up the case"
2) That the case would be resolved "as soon as possible" and he was sure it would be solved within 24-48 hours

On Jul 24, 2016
Prahudev said to me
1) My case was escalated
2) I would get a new email
3) My case was given a new number 0219204099

On 5 August, 2016
Naveen GK said to me
1) He had checked and 2 redemption codes had been made for me
2) It would take a maximum of 2 business days to reach me
3) He would "personally follow up the case" with the team and definitely get it sorted

On August 9, 2016
Shreeja said to me
1) The case was escalated
2) I would be contacted within 2 business days with the redemption codes
This was a lie. Nothing happened. I instead got a mail asking me - again - to provide you the code numbers that you already have together with copies of my purchase.

On August 11, 2016
Ravi said to me:
1) I would have my two new redemption codes within 24 hours

On August 13, 2016
The case file was updated:
1) The case was - again - updated to your senior support team
2) I would get a response within 2 business days

I hate Adobe subscription software and Adobe support must be the worst in the software industry (and that's saying something for sure).

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Personally, I'm not a fan of the subscription model, am still using LR 5.7 (and PSe 13), and have no need to upgrade for the foreseeable future. Those of you who like the subscription model (because it works better in your circumstances), more power to you, as well; but relax, you'll never convince those of us who don't. It's OK.

I think Adobe had the right idea when they offered both perpetual and subscription options. Should they elect to send future versions of Lightroom to CC only, that's their prerogative, and more power to them. Their profits will rise or fall based on how the market reacts to their decision, and how they react to that.

I really like the Lightroom interface, with the ability to import using keywords, structure my catalog as I see fit, browse from image to image within a library with a keystroke / mouse click, use my favorite plug-ins and apply global effects. I'm sure there are alternatives out there that will work just as well for me, should the time ever come when I need to move on. I have OnOne Perfect Photo 9; haven't made the plunge for 10/Raw yet, but it looks interesting, as does Affinity Photo. In the meantime, I'm not going to lose any sleep over Adobe's business model.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
privatebydesign said:
cpeak66 said:
What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom. Nada. That doesn't sit well with me. If I've paid over 350 dollars I sure want something to show for it.

That is simply not true.

If you stop paying for CC you still keep Lightroom, in perpetuity. It stays on your drive and opens just fine. You can use the Library, Slideshow, Web, Book and Print modules, you can export any of your images either with their LR development settings (made prior to deactivation) or without. You lose the Develop and Map modules.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Its a ransom..keep paying or no more editing your photos.

Who in their right mind would want a half functional piece of software when you decide to stop paying the monthly?

It is the most nonsensical argument, and I truly don't understand how it makes any sense to you.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
cpeak66 said:
What happens after 3 years and I don't want to pay anymore? What do I have? Nothing. No access. No more Lightroom. Nada. That doesn't sit well with me. If I've paid over 350 dollars I sure want something to show for it.

That is simply not true.

Correct you have access to your images... for now. Is there any guarantee Adobe doesn't change the EULA at a moments notice? change the structure of the Lightroom catalog?

If you have any photos you deem valuable you likely cannot trust a deactivated copy of LR. I know I wouldn't. For me that would mean exporting to TIFF/DNG & .xmp/etc. Luckily I have a perpetual license of LR6.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised how many people are against the subscription model here. I'm also a little surprised how little this announcement bothers me. I suppose for my purposes, Affinity is becoming an increasingly competent editing option, and there's nothing I'm all that bothered about them adding to Lr in a future version that would make me upgrade anyway. I'll keep running Lr 6 until it no longer works by which time I'll assess what's best (to me) for replacing it.

I personally prefer to buy, rather than rent software (though I've done both), but the writing's been on the wall with regard to Adobe for some time. They have every right to choose the most profitable path, and consumers have the right to be annoyed and move to other products. Interesting that Affinity is quite the opposite - I paid a very small sum (something like £30?) for the original download, and updates are free, including the addition of substantial new features. Who knows how long that will last, however.

As for those talking on 50 year timescales, I don't think you can expect any technology option to last that long, especially proprietory services. I certainly wouldn't expect Lightroom to exist by then! Eventually I think we have to convert files to a widely-supported format and hope for the best.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Maiaibing, you've got to be pulling our legs.

I don't want to rent something that costs a fair amount and then find I don't use it enough due to time constraints. If that were not the case I'd be more positive about it even though I don't like the concept particularly.

On the other hand software that is updated constantly with some new feature can end up costing a lot if you keep purchasing the upgrades with the carrot of an upgrade being cheaper than the whole package. It seems like they never want to get everything right because they can do it bit by bit in future versions. Sucker me has upgraded when I have yet to use an older version. It's always tomorrow I'm going to have time. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0