Adobe Lightroom 6 Coming This Week?

Looking forward to upgrading (standalone), especially for the pano and HDR features. Crossing fingers on improved performance overall.

---

At the risk of perpetuating the pricing debate, comparing CC to leasing a car kinda falls flat for me. I can't imagine having a car payment every month...for a car I don't even get to keep. I'm the kind of person that buys a reliable used car that's a few years old for a fraction of the cost of new. I pay up-front, owning the car free-and-clear from day one. I keep the car for many years (choosing not to upgrade in the interim).

Is my used car as new and exciting as what people are leveraging themselves to buy new (or leasing to never own)? No. But it suits my needs as well as it did when I bought it. If I encounter financial difficulty, I don't have the fear of my car being repossessed -- it's mine. I get that most people don't mind a car payment and consider it a normal part of life -- they'd rather have shiny and new because they can afford it (for now?).

Will I ever lease a car? Nope. Do I complain about dealerships leasing cars? Nope. Do I have a problem if other people like to lease cars? Nope. To each their own. If I couldn't buy a used car and the only option was to lease one forever, would I complain? Absolutely!!!

As long as a standalone license is available, I don't really care who likes or dislikes the CC model. If standalone goes away, I'd probably look for an alternative to Lightroom. That would suck, but business will do what the market will bear, and I'm not an island a market unto myself. :p

If CC proves to be more profitable, then it would be silly for Adobe not to do it. That's when I buy some stock in Adobe...and go find a different RAW processing software with a standalone license. ;)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Lee Jay said:
keithfullermusic said:
LR IS STILL A STAND ALONE PRODUCT!!! Why do people keep talking about it?
Because gillions of people claimed that LR6 would be CC only. And they were wrong.

No. Because gillions of people were and had to be worried any LR update may be the last and final one available as a perpetual license.

As a software buyer I have little issue with software renters except those renters constantly telling me, how great renting is. Especially renting LR plus PS, even though I only want to buy and use LR. :p

PS: I am going to upgrade from LR5 and buy LR 6. GPU support + HDR + pano stitching are features I am looking forward to. Face reco I am rather hesitant. No need to make NSA and assorted secret services' work any easier. :eek:

According to Kelby Sites' FAQ, LR 6 is the last stand-alone version. All new features only in CC though one presumes bug fixes and camera support will stay in LR6. I cant get back to the livecast - keeps dying.

For anyone interested, B&H have a special offer on a year's cloud subscription....

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
m said:
DeBo32 said:
Any news on different upgrade pricing or student/teacher pricing?

I would also like to know the upgrade price.

$79 for any previous version.

Add it to your cart like you are buying the full non-upgrade version. There is a link in the cart to modify and under that is the upgrade option.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Zv said:
You're forgeting LR Mobile is also part of the package. Something you don't get with the perpetual licence.

I'm still searching for something to do with LRMobile that would help me in any way.

OK it's not for everyone but I did find a use. When you sync a collection to LR mobile you can then rate the images on an iPad or other device. Particularly good for proofs.

I hand it to my girlfriend and she quickly picks which ones I should print (without her having to get off the couch!).

Could work with a client too. Instead of lugging your laptop to the client you just take your iPad or whatever and they could pick their faves. Then you could even do a quick edit there and then to give them an idea of what you could do. You can even export and share the image if they need it.

Basically use it as a mobile version of library module and quick edit.

I wish they'd add a upload via wifi option so I can go from 6D straight to Lightroom Mobile while I'm on holiday and get started on rating images.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Zv said:
Lee Jay said:
Zv said:
You're forgeting LR Mobile is also part of the package. Something you don't get with the perpetual licence.

I'm still searching for something to do with LRMobile that would help me in any way.

OK it's not for everyone but I did find a use. When you sync a collection to LR mobile you can then rate the images on an iPad or other device. Particularly good for proofs.

The reason this doesn't work for me, is that I check for focus and motion blur during the rating process. Since the mobile app uses reduced resolution images, this is not possible.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Lee Jay said:
People should read this:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-cc-6-0/

THIS!!!! Finally! Thanks! Loving these new features! ;D

+1 Thanks, Lee Jay.

Here's a particularly exciting part (what I was hoping for on one of the previous LR6 rumor threads):

"This is better than using Photoshop or other software, because the resulting DNG file still has the editing flexibility of the original files, even if they were raw files."

Most excellent.

Upvote 0

m

Nov 24, 2012
Famateur said:
Here's a particularly exciting part (what I was hoping for on one of the previous LR6 rumor threads):

"This is better than using Photoshop or other software, because the resulting DNG file still has the editing flexibility of the original files, even if they were raw files."

Most excellent.

But it only does 16bit HDR, the article claims this is enough:
The resulting files are 16-bit floating point DNG files, which can easily hold the full HDR contrast range.
I'm not sure.

It got asked in the kelby thing and they said it's 32bit.

Upvote 0
m said:
Famateur said:

Most excellent.

But it only does 16bit HDR, the article claims this is enough:
The resulting files are 16-bit floating point DNG files, which can easily hold the full HDR contrast range.
I'm not sure.

I noticed that and wonder why Adobe didn't do 32-bit. If I recall correctly, Photoshop merges to 32-bit TIFF. I'm guessing it's either a limitation with DNG or product differentiation from Photoshop.

I'm still happy the feature is there and hope 16-bit will be sufficient...

Upvote 0
DeBo32 said:
Any news on different upgrade pricing or student/teacher pricing?

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html?sdid=KKQRV&kw=semgeneric&skwcid=AL!3085!3!48137515462!p!!g!!lightroom%2520student&ef_id=VR1m4wAABRS3Z8hN:20150421180631:s

All you have to do is type Adobe Lightroom Student in the Googles. ;D

Upvote 0