Adobe Lightroom Mobile Version Official

Feb 8, 2013
Vivid Color said:
I think it is a marketing mistake not to make Lightroom mobile as a stand alone app. It could've become their gateway product.

Yup. Right now I'm just looking for any way to get a mobile computer to edit photos, whoever comes up with that first wins.

Somehow I expect Canon will get DPP to mobile before anyone else puts out a decent standalone program. Of course with all the X86 tablets coming out now I may well just abandon ARM devices altogether.

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Vivid Color said:
I think it is a marketing mistake not to make Lightroom mobile as a stand alone app. It could've become their gateway product.

Yup. Right now I'm just looking for any way to get a mobile computer to edit photos, whoever comes up with that first wins.

Somehow I expect Canon will get DPP to mobile before anyone else puts out a decent standalone program. Of course with all the X86 tablets coming out now I may well just abandon ARM devices altogether.

You could run LR 5 on a Windows Surface Pro. I've used Premiere Pro and After Affects on a Surface Pro, though memory and RAM are a bit of an issue...and rendering is god awfully long. LR 5 is fine, though it gobbles up RAM pretty quickly. But if you absolutely need it on a tablet it's there.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
David_in_Seattle said:
You could run LR 5 on a Windows Surface Pro. I've used Premiere Pro and After Affects on a Surface Pro, though memory and RAM are a bit of an issue...and rendering is god awfully long. LR 5 is fine, though it gobbles up RAM pretty quickly. But if you absolutely need it on a tablet it's there.
A buddy of mine has run LR and PS on one of the EEE ASUS tablet with the built-in Wacom display for on location use - pretty handy indeed. I am sure the more recent Surface devices are way better than the older ASUS boxes.

Once these tablets are a serious contender as a desktop/laptop replacement I will likely step-up but although they are small they still have poor battery life and are heavy compared to an iPad or Android tablet.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
odoketa said:
Lee Jay said:
bitm2007 said:
and why is that? We have paid for our perpetual LR licenses too,. FU arrogant Adobe!

It's the clearest indication yet that the full version of Lightroom will be subscription only in the future.

No, it isn't. One has nothing to do with the other.

That seems... optimistic.

"Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely."

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
I just simply created a collection called iPad dedicated for my camera roll imports.
Does that Collection sync back up to your PC? If the Collection does not exist on your main LR PC does it create it for you and then transfer the images from the iPad?

I believe I created it in LR on my PC and it then popped up in LR on my iPad. I then imported from my camera roll using LR on my iPad and these then appeared in the collection on my PC.

I've only tested it this way so far. So not sure what would happen if you create a collection on the iPad first. I get the feeling you may still have to create it on your PC LR too because you have to set the collection to be a synced one.

Makes sense. I will try this later today once I am near my home LR PC.
I just synced the iPad to my main LR PC and low and behold LR created a new Collection Set and under that was the new Collection I created today along with the four images I had gathered from the film roll. It placed the actual images here on my PC:
{HDD}\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata\*.*

My third party camera kit card is broken - I guess IOS 7 disabled it, therefore I cannot test out importing a series of .CR2 files to the film roll, creating a collection and importing them. It should work though. That should provide a decent onsite workflow selection process as you can swipe up or down on an image to flag it a Pick/Unpick or Reject.

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
Jamesy said:
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
Jamesy said:
lastcoyote said:
I just simply created a collection called iPad dedicated for my camera roll imports.
Does that Collection sync back up to your PC? If the Collection does not exist on your main LR PC does it create it for you and then transfer the images from the iPad?

I believe I created it in LR on my PC and it then popped up in LR on my iPad. I then imported from my camera roll using LR on my iPad and these then appeared in the collection on my PC.

I've only tested it this way so far. So not sure what would happen if you create a collection on the iPad first. I get the feeling you may still have to create it on your PC LR too because you have to set the collection to be a synced one.

Makes sense. I will try this later today once I am near my home LR PC.
I just synced the iPad to my main LR PC and low and behold LR created a new Collection Set and under that was the new Collection I created today along with the four images I had gathered from the film roll. It placed the actual images here on my PC:
{HDD}\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata\*.*

My third party camera kit card is broken - I guess IOS 7 disabled it, therefore I cannot test out importing a series of .CR2 files to the film roll, creating a collection and importing them. It should work though. That should provide a decent onsite workflow selection process as you can swipe up or down on an image to flag it a Pick/Unpick or Reject.

Oh that's good then. Yeah I noticed the mobile downloads folder too.
Out of interest what name did it create for the collection set?

Upvote 0
I just ran another test. Created a new collection on my iPad in LR mobile and named it LR Mobile Test. I added 6 photos from my iPads camera roll and copied 3 photos from the other collection I synced out of LR this morning. It automatically synced this new collection into LR on my laptop and it showed up as a Collection Set (so top hierarchy) with the photos in it. Now going to see where it actually placed the photos on my laptop's HD.

Next I will try to add some RAW files to the iPad via the camera connection kit and see what happens to them in LR and with syncing.

Another update: So yes as noted below LR makes a top level collection set called "From LR Mobile" within that set is the collection I created called "LR mobile test".

Now I loaded some images from my camera into the iPad photo app from the camera connection kit. I loaded some jpegs and some raw files. The iPad can read the raw files as it usually can but when you open the LR app it doesn't see the raw files only the jpegs. I then had to edit that file in the iPad photo app and then move it to its own new folder and then it showed up as available to import into LR mobile. So not a good solution for RAW file management.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
lastcoyote said:
Oh that's good then. Yeah I noticed the mobile downloads folder too.
Out of interest what name did it create for the collection set?
It created the same named Collection Set as Arbitrage - it is called 'From Lr mobile' and the files are placed on the HDD here:
Collection set #1: {HDD}\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata\{random_dir_name1}\*.*
Collection set #2: {HDD}\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata\{random_dir_name2}\*.*

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
David_in_Seattle said:
A buddy of mine has run LR and PS on one of the EEE ASUS tablet with the built-in Wacom display for on location use - pretty handy indeed. I am sure the more recent Surface devices are way better than the older ASUS boxes.

Once these tablets are a serious contender as a desktop/laptop replacement I will likely step-up but although they are small they still have poor battery life and are heavy compared to an iPad or Android tablet.

Check out the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. i7 CPU, 8G RAM, 256 SSD, ultra-high res display (3200×1800 at 13.3" (276 ppi), higher than retina) and great battery life. Reviews are mostly great except the ultra high resolution is actually almost a negative it's so high. Great for photos though! It's about $1000 or $1200 from Best Buy depending on whether you want the i5/4G/128 version or the i7/8G/256 version.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-review-you-say-you-want-resolution/

Upvote 0
Don't forget about Capture One if you're looking to get out from under Adobe's thumb. They have a pretty sweet Capture One Pilot app for iOS that is actually useful for producing images, something that Lightroom Mobile seems to be lacking.

I moved to LR 3 when it came out to 4, then when this whole creative cloud business started - back to Capture One. It's not perfect, I still prefer LR for a DAM application, but as a raw converter that has longer-term camera support (more than ACR anyway) and updates it's second to none.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
RustyTheGeek said:
Check out the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. i7 CPU, 8G RAM, 256 SSD, ultra-high res display (3200×1800 at 13.3" (276 ppi), higher than retina) and great battery life. Reviews are mostly great except the ultra high resolution is actually almost a negative it's so high. Great for photos though! It's about $1000 or $1200 from Best Buy depending on whether you want the i5/4G/128 version or the i7/8G/256 version.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-review-you-say-you-want-resolution/
That looks pretty sweet hardware wise

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
AvTvM said:
DFM said:
No, sorry. Lr Mobile is only available for customers with an active subscription (CC or the PS/Lr Photography Program). Perpetual licenses of Lightroom cannot sync with it.

and why is that? We have paid for our perpetual LR licenses too,. FU arrogant Adobe!

And do take note: I will not rent your software or join an annual pay subscription model ... ever, no matter what you do. And if you push me and if no better software alternative becomes available, I will revert back to Canon DPP to process RAWs.

+1

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
RustyTheGeek said:
...while I sound like an Apple hater

Just so you know, I was rather careful not to call you a 'hater'. 8)

RustyTheGeek said:
and they don't sue what seems like the entire world at the same time they fleece the consumers within their ecosystem.

This is one way in which Apple is not perfect. I think they would be better off focusing their time, money and energy on product innovation instead of lawsuits. Whether Samsung is right or wrong, when you're at the top the competition is going to go after your market share. They are not going to sit still. Apple needs to focus on moving forward, not worrying about the competition copying what they did in the past, particularly in a field that changes so fast and the past is rapidly irrelevant.

And yes, they are expensive, really too expensive. It disturbs me that they charge $100 for each bump in storage when storage is so cheap. It disturbs me that the iPad 2 lived so long for so much money. I think Macs are incredibly expensive, though I am thinking about one at some point. But I do think they make a good product (not perfect) and it's really a personal choice if the cost is worth it for all the pros and cons.

That said, Samsung isn't shy about what they charge for their top tier products and even Amazon cranked up the price of the Fire HDX from the HD to a level I don't think they are worth.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
RLPhoto said:
AvTvM said:
DFM said:
No, sorry. Lr Mobile is only available for customers with an active subscription (CC or the PS/Lr Photography Program). Perpetual licenses of Lightroom cannot sync with it.

And do take note: I will not rent your software or join an annual pay subscription model ... ever, no matter what you do. And if you push me and if no better software alternative becomes available, I will revert back to Canon DPP to process RAWs.

+1

Why are they arrogant? And how does that justify FU?

It is their software, they can choose to license it how they like, if you don't like the terms then just don't buy it but there is no point to talking like that to an actual Adobe representative. He isn't going to take you seriously if you talk like that, thanks for blowing any chance we have of reasonable dialog with Adobe here now.

Upvote 0