Adobe Releases Lightroom 6.2 & CC 2015.2

Re: Adobe Releases Lightroom 6.2 & CC 2015.2

Did they ever fix the serious bug that makes the render not show quite the correct colors if you have all the GPU rendering stuff set to default settings or higher?

It was broken in PS CS6 and in the first few versions of PS CC that I trialed.

It's a pretty serious bug in that it puts fake color casts into the images and can lead you to slightly tone things incorrectly. Not sure why they don't fix a mega-bug of that importance (or perhaps they finally have in one of the last versions or two?).

To be safe it's best to tune down the GPU rendering and set drawing mode GPU assistance to Basic. If you set it to anything higher you'll get serious problems with the color engine during rendering to screen. I think it's under Settings->Performance->Advanced GPU->Drawing Mode.

In some cases if you actively drag something around the colors go back to the tone they should but then as soon as you stop movement it adds a weird little tone, especially to darker tones, especially when using wider gamuts.

Upvote 0

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.

Mac Duderson said:
:mad: HOKEY MOTHER the program keeps closing over and over again and I can't get any work done!! I have never had any problems with LR1 LR2 LR3 LR4 LR5 and LR6 up until now. There are major problems with this new update!! I hope I can somehow figure out how to get back to the last version. :-[

Try resetting preferences before you revert to an earlier version, make sure you've documented your settings beforehand. On Mac Osx hold down the shift and Alt/Opt keys as you start Lightroom. Then quit and restart your computer.

To revert to an earlier version; It takes several steps and can be a royal PIA, it will take you several steps –
1. uninstall Lightroom
2. download and install 6.0
3. then download and install the 6.1.1 patch. If you are a subscriber, sign out of the CC desktop app and sign in again. You will obviously want to ignore requests in Lightroom to update to 6.2.

Not a smooth upgrade for many of us ..... unfortunately. I also hate the new import module and immediately disabled it once I got the crashes under control. One of the issues seems to be incompatibility with certain Graphics cards.

Upvote 0

3kramd5 said:
Canon Rumors said:
Select a Source: There is a new “Add Photos” screen which scans to identify the potential locations for photos on your hard drive.

Ugh. I find software that goes out and searches your entire drive(s) structure(s) for compatible file types quite annoying. There's nothing explicit or clear about it. Deliberately choosing what to import is explicit and clear.

+1

Also not into the rental model (cloud ::) it's a freaking rental model not some 'magical cloud' ::) ).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

LetTheRightLensIn said:
3kramd5 said:
Canon Rumors said:
Select a Source: There is a new “Add Photos” screen which scans to identify the potential locations for photos on your hard drive.

Ugh. I find software that goes out and searches your entire drive(s) structure(s) for compatible file types quite annoying. There's nothing explicit or clear about it. Deliberately choosing what to import is explicit and clear.

+1

Also not into the rental model (cloud ::) it's a freaking rental model not some 'magical cloud' ::) ).

So stick with the standalone perpetual license LR6, and you can even get 99% of the photography functionality of Photoshop with the standalone perpetual license of Elements.

LR6 perpetual, $149.
Elements 14, $79.99.

Or get Affinity Photo for $49.99.

All you anti Adobe drones are as boring and repetitive as the "Canon are uncompetitive/doomed if they don't do X" crowd. Adobe don't care, move on, find your alternative and be happy. If Adobe got it wrong they will change, but they expected this push back from their amateur users, you are not their core business and you don't pay their bills, and never have.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

infared said:
Adobe has become FAT & LAZY. The HDR software included in LR 6 is pathetic. It does not compete with freeware from 5 years ago. LR 5 has a better import interface than LR 6. Why was it changed to make it look "new"? The company was once an innovator....what happened? :eek:k

I disagree.

I find LR HDR to be far and away the best implementation of de-ghosting I have ever used and the most natural output short of the time and trouble of PS 32bit blending or layered exposures and luminosity masks. I have used multiple exposure blending since it began, I don't buy Plugins but did buy both LR Enfuse and Photomatix Pro before that to try to achieve the extreme DR I often encounter shooting indoor/outside view real estate.

As for the Import change, I'll give it a while before I decide, if you think about it in a rational way the new feature is more intuitive just not yet to us long term users and should reveal any misplaced files (which I know I have!), but for any old dogs refusing to learn new tricks you can resort to legacy mode anyway, so what's the harm?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Batman6794 said:
privatebydesign said:
AvTvM said:
De-haze ...
* Please note that this feature is not available in the standalone version of Lightroom 6

yes, Adobe ... just keep rubbing it in. I will still never RENT your software. And if you guys withhold features, I will also not BUY anything from you - like LR 6. All my current cameras are supported by LR 5.7 and my next camera upgrade is likely 2+ years out ... unless Canon brings a FF mirrorless system before then. :p ;D

That suits Adobe just fine, you are not the kind of customer they want. Bye.

LOL. Yes. Most successful businesses try to limit the "kinds" of customers that purchase their products. If EVERYONE bought their stuff, they might run out of places to put all their money.

If you were in sales and you had two customers, one spent thousands of dollars every year and was happy with your new business model because it saved them money, the other spend a few hundred dollars every few years whilst bitching and moaning and starting up petitions about everything you did, whilst not taking the time to even consider what you are actually offering at the same time taking up far more customer service hours and developer time than the big spending customer. Which would you spend your time and trouble and money trying to make happy?

I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe cut the amateur market out of their business model completely after the scaled 3/5 year transition to the subscription model, anybody that isn't prepared to spend $10 a month on their hobby really isn't worth bothering with even if there are thousands of them, save the developer time and money and concentrate on your core money making customer base.

Oh, and to make people realise what utter crap they are talking, who knows what you can still do with LR CC after you stop paying? Practically none of you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 3.19.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 3.19.09 AM.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

LOALTD said:
As others have stated, if you are running OSX 10.11 El Capitan:

DO NOT UPGRADE!

This thing CRASHES NON-STOP!

Luckily, I was able to revert to 6.1.1 with Time Machine.

Insane that that'd release something this buggy.

I never update my OS, I find all Apple releases in recent years are as bad as Windows ever were. I am running 10.9.5 and today's Adobe releases are running 100% fine.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar

AvTvM said:
De-haze ...
* Please note that this feature is not available in the standalone version of Lightroom 6

yes, Adobe ... just keep rubbing it in. I will still never RENT your software. And if you guys withhold features, I will also not BUY anything from you - like LR 6. All my current cameras are supported by LR 5.7 and my next camera upgrade is likely 2+ years out ... unless Canon brings a FF mirrorless system before then. :p ;D
+1, I fully agree.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010

infared said:
The HDR software included in LR 6 is pathetic. It does not compete with freeware from 5 years ago.

You could say the same about most Lightroom features. But that's missing the point. Lightroom isn't about being the best at everything. Its about being the best overall. Its the ideal one piece software solution for the majority of photographers. No other program even comes close. Even with all of the anti Adobe angst, the fact that nobody has been able to develop a reasonable alternative just reinforces to me how good the program is.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

privatebydesign said:
infared said:
Adobe has become FAT & LAZY. The HDR software included in LR 6 is pathetic. It does not compete with freeware from 5 years ago. LR 5 has a better import interface than LR 6. Why was it changed to make it look "new"? The company was once an innovator....what happened? :eek:k

I disagree.

I find LR HDR to be far and away the best implementation of de-ghosting I have ever used and the most natural output short of the time and trouble of PS 32bit blending or layered exposures and luminosity masks. I have used multiple exposure blending since it began, I don't buy Plugins but did buy both LR Enfuse and Photomatix Pro before that to try to achieve the extreme DR I often encounter shooting indoor/outside view real estate.

As for the Import change, I'll give it a while before I decide, if you think about it in a rational way the new feature is more intuitive just not yet to us long term users and should reveal any misplaced files (which I know I have!), but for any old dogs refusing to learn new tricks you can resort to legacy mode anyway, so what's the harm?

LOL! Thanks for the pointer...I will switch back to legacy mode out of the mess that some 21yr old thought was cool. Of course, I would not have to do that if Adobe had written code that preserved all of my preferences when I paid to upgrade,(like every other software I have upgraded). The HDR is junk...I will just continue my work flow the way it was. The thing is..Adobe has wasted a lot of my time with a bunch of nonsense, and taken my money. That's annoying.

Upvote 0

Northbird said:
Mac Duderson said:
:mad: HOKEY MOTHER the program keeps closing over and over again and I can't get any work done!! I have never had any problems with LR1 LR2 LR3 LR4 LR5 and LR6 up until now. There are major problems with this new update!! I hope I can somehow figure out how to get back to the last version. :-[

Try resetting preferences before you revert to an earlier version, make sure you've documented your settings beforehand. On Mac Osx hold down the shift and Alt/Opt keys as you start Lightroom. Then quit and restart your computer.

To revert to an earlier version; It takes several steps and can be a royal PIA, it will take you several steps –
1. uninstall Lightroom
2. download and install 6.0
3. then download and install the 6.1.1 patch. If you are a subscriber, sign out of the CC desktop app and sign in again. You will obviously want to ignore requests in Lightroom to update to 6.2.

Not a smooth upgrade for many of us ..... unfortunately. I also hate the new import module and immediately disabled it once I got the crashes under control. One of the issues seems to be incompatibility with certain Graphics cards.

Northbird thank you SO much! After hours of fighting with it trying to finish a wedding it continually crashed about 50-75 times. Also whenever it crashed all my edits were lost. I would have to close LR properly every 10 min or so to make sure my work was not lost. I finally finished the wedding but couldn't export it.
I did all the things you suggested but it continually crashed even when I tried to do those steps.
I finally resorted to uninstalling it and redownloading LR6.0. I find that it actually is running faster then 6.1.1 so I may just keep 6.0 and skip 6.1.1. I don't remember if 1.1 had anything worth updating for.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

privatebydesign said:

As long as it doesn't remind me all the time, I don't care. If it's like the "Do you want to back this up online Yes/No" splash screen which pops up every time I create a new catalog, I'll get annoyed.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

infared said:
privatebydesign said:
infared said:

I disagree.

LOL! Thanks for the pointer...I will switch back to legacy mode out of the mess that some 21yr old thought was cool. Of course, I would not have to do that if Adobe had written code that preserved all of my preferences when I paid to upgrade,(like every other software I have upgraded). The HDR is junk...I will just continue my work flow the way it was. The thing is..Adobe has wasted a lot of my time with a bunch of nonsense, and taken my money. That's annoying.

I am always looking to learn new and improved HDR, can you show me examples of LR created junk and what your workflow is that makes your HDR so much better?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX

Although aware of Lightroom since its v1 launch, I didn't join the party until v4. I found the upgrade to v5 quite worthwhile, but nothing about v6 "rang my bell." Reading over some of these posts makes me glad I decided to sit out this round.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

3kramd5 said:
privatebydesign said:

As long as it doesn't remind me all the time, I don't care. If it's like the "Do you want to back this up online Yes/No" splash screen which pops up every time I create a new catalog, I'll get annoyed.

Mine doesn't do that, you must have a preference option ticked that I don't (or the other way around!). I even just made a test catalog to make sure.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com

Mac Duderson said:
No Canon 50mm 1.8 STM support still. Lens correction profile defaults to 50mm 1.2L and you have to manually change it to 50mm 1.8 II, which I finally saved as a preset. ???
Also I can not find the FD and Ai, Ai-s profiles for my MF lenses... maybe this is just for the CC version again?

still no 50mm stm lens profile that what i had too do on 5.7 just make it use the 50mm 1.8 mark 2

Upvote 0

I try not to be paranoid, but this morning my LR 6.2 would not open. It requested that I sign into my Adobe account and re-enter my serial number. Of course, I did not have my serial number saved anywhere. So after re-setting my password, 15 minutes, I got into my account wrote down the serial number and re-entered it. LR 6.2 opened. Get to the studio and find that my main computer could not shut down last night because LR CC 2015 updated would not close. Hummmm. I guess I should never criticize Adobe!

Think I will follow others and uninstall LR 6.2 and reinstall to LR 6.1.1 or just go back to LR 5.7.1. Or CaptureOne Pro????

Upvote 0