Adobe Reports Record Q2 Revenue

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
For the record:

I used Lightroom.

Then I signed up to the Photography package.

Then I stopped, because other software does a better job for me.

At no point was I awoken in the dead of night and hauled away by Adobe hitmen; my children did not report strangers turning up at school asking probing and strangely threatening questions; and the "horse's head in my bed" count has stayed resolutely at or around zero.

I - just like everyone else - am about as much "in adobe's clutches" as I am at risk from Joffrey Baratheon from Game Of Thrones...

In short - it is histrionic bollocks to ascribe such emotive, sinister motives to a company, just because they changed their business model.

Don't like it, by all means: but stop taking it so bliddy personally...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What "huge profits"?

Adobe's profits are roughly the same as a year ago, and their profit margins have actually decreased.
  • Adobe gross profit for the quarter ending May 31, 2019 was $2.337B, a 22.09% increase year-over-year.
  • Adobe gross profit for the twelve months ending May 31, 2019 was $8.641B, a 22.61% increase year-over-year.
  • Adobe annual gross profit for 2018 was $7.835B, a 24.54% increase from 2017.
  • Adobe annual gross profit for 2017 was $6.291B, a 24.96% increase from 2016.
  • Adobe annual gross profit for 2016 was $5.035B, a 24.27% increase from 2015.

Upvote 0
How exactly "in its clutches"? If I were to cancel my subscription right now, with no plans of starting again later, I would still have all the completed work in large format jpg files in a worst case scenario. Furthermore, I could plan ahead, and spend the last month of my subscription preparing the best work from the past five years for further printing in the future...But how much of your past body of work are you planning to rework with PS at this point?

As for work being done right now and in the future, just go with a competitor. You are fretting about convenience, which Adobe leverages, to be sure, not an existential crisis!

Regarding the catalog, my current Windows directory structure exactly mirrors my LR catalog. Yes, I'd lose keywords, but I can still easily find images by date. Perhaps keywording would be the most tedious rebuilding exercise, but, to be honest, I don't much keep up with key-wording except for shots that are to be used only as backgrounds or textures. (Does anybody know a way to export the keywords??? That would be sweet for somebody leaving LR.)

And if you argue that no other program works as well as Adobe, then your choice would be to pay up or compromise.
Let's say for arguments sake I had taken out a subscription in 2016, and I had been receiving updates ever since. Then, due to my own financial circumstance I decide that I must now cut back and I can no longer afford the subscription, even though it is only £10 per month. I use Lightroom a lot so that is 3 years worth of work I would lose. Yes I have the original RAW and JPEG files but all the updates would be lost. Isn't that why Lightroom backs up its catalogue every week?
However, the more powerful argument is that, since 2016 I have not been paying the £10 per month subscription. So that is now nearly £400 I have available for the wife to spend on something else.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Let's say for arguments sake I had taken out a subscription in 2016, and I had been receiving updates ever since. Then, due to my own financial circumstance I decide that I must now cut back and I can no longer afford the subscription, even though it is only £10 per month. I use Lightroom a lot so that is 3 years worth of work I would lose. Yes I have the original RAW and JPEG files but all the updates would be lost.
Not in my actual experience. When you cancel your Photography plan, you can still use Lightroom as a local catalogue software, you just lose the functionality of ACR.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I use Lightroom a lot so that is 3 years worth of work I would lose. Yes I have the original RAW and JPEG files but all the updates would be lost.

How's that an "Adobe" issue? It's true of migrating from any solution to any other solution.

Besides, most of the competitors to Lightroom have conversion/migration tools. So "in Adobe's clutches" remains complete nonsense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0