Adobe to Show Next Creative Cloud on June 18

m said:
So much for the cloud allowing Adobe to integrate new features continuously without being bound to certain release dates of updates.

haha looks like you and everyone else already beat me to my comment!

what a sham!

remember when they scared everyone into upgrading to CS6 otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to upgrade to CS7 (even though they knew they were renaming CS7 the CC and turning it rental only)? sham sham sham

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
Maui5150 said:
GMCPhotographics said:
I must be the only photographer who relly doesn't care much for Adobe's newest releases. Their recent products have fallen foul of bloat ware and I really don't expect any new headline features to grab me.
I'm a use of Lightroom, but their latest release doesn't work on Windows Vista....which is still supported by Microsoft. So why should I have to upgrade my OS just for an Adobe product?
I have various machines, Vista 64x, Win 7 64x and Win 8 64x...but the newest Adobe LR installer won't run on my Vista box....sigh....I'm bored of this....

Vista??? You are not missing much. Vista was just a step ahead of WindowsME... On the turd meter, Vista was a double flush... Seriously... Compared to Vista, Windows 7 is a dream... There is a reason Windows 98 lasted a decade and Vista was flushed as soon as they could. Granted Vista was slightly better than Windows ME, but that is not saying much

Actually Win 7 and Win 8 / 8.1 are built on a Vista engine....neither are new products.
Vista was Win NT 6.0, Win 7 is Win NT 6.1 and Win 8 is Win NT 6.2
There hasn't been a new OS since Vista, all the new ones are shell cometics and a few functional updates. Plus marketing and branding. If microsoft wanted to, they could easily have released a service pack to update Vista to either or the new Operating Systems. There is more commonality between them then there are differences.

They did change the driver model for 7+ though and DirectX models (although in the latter case it was a bit of a sham to be honest, since they more locked it out of the older systems than actually truly made it different).

Too bad stuff like AmigaOS and BeOS are not what we have today instead of Windows and Apple (and linux).

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
captainkanji said:
I like to own the software I purchase. I think I'll pass on CC. If lightroom ever goes CC, I'll just use something else.

+1

Well...in legal terms you own a perpetual license to use the software. Not the software itself. But I agree with the sentiment expressed.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
LarryC said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I've been using Adobe cc for photographers for a while now. Its $10 a month and is great.

+1. As long as it stays at ~$10/mo, I'll remain very glad I made the move to CC.

Nothing quite like Adobe to bring out the angst in People, but I agree with the above sentiment.

I'm one of those that was reluctant to go to the CC system from CS6 & LR4, but I was eventually swayed by the offer of CC for Photographers, you get Photoshop & LR, for around $10/month, $120/year for updates & future upgrades doesn't seem too bad a deal in my view, but it's subjective, of course.

I've been using the CC system since inception, receive all new updates, seems to have been at least one update/month, system works fine, no complaints & to date, painless.

Any new Upgrades (as against updates) will be an automatic upgrade if your already on CC & paying your monthly payment, again, seems reasonable, while it's at $10/month, but I expect at some point the subscription will increase, inevitable really.

I would prefer the old system as with CS6 & LR4, but times change, most software systems eventually will go to the subscription system, a lot already have done so, if at some Point Adobe begin to price increase regards the monthly subscription, that will be the catalyse to review the cost of the system & decide on continuing or shutting it off, you in fact loose nothing, your files will still open in other software, just not in Layers as in Photoshop, I save in TIFF so although at first I felt it would be a big deal going to CC, it's proved not so big after all.

The Software is what it is, you either like to use it, or find something that does what you need at the price point you prefer, the only thing out there that comes close from what I've experienced, is On One's Perfect Photo Suite 8, excellent piece of software that's getting better & better, and no subscription, next iteration it may be a Photoshop alternative in full, but it's not quite there yet.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Wait what???? I thought the whole thing about their 'magical' 'cloud' is that it was supposed to have constant and continuous updates and also that is why they couldn't continue with the old version and now they make it sound like well CC1 was CS7 and now we have a new major update CS8 ooppps I mean the magical CC2.

The whole thing is a rip and a sham. It's nothing to do with distributed computing, it's just an obnoxious rental model that does less than nothing (literally so) for their customers.

Because the applications are integrated. Smaller changes that affect only one program can be made at any time (and are - there have been plenty of updates, it is only in the last few months they have fallen off, obviously because the platform update is coming), while platform updates that affect many programs will be done at the same time. You can't introduce changes to one program that call on or share features in another program that don't exist yet for example.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Sheesh! I know Adobe bashing is fashionable, but the vitriol here is kind of strong.

Just about every photographer on the planet has built their experience with Adobe software there as a central tool and constant creative companion. I love what CC and its predecessors have enabled me to do and have no trouble at all with the current business model. Businesses including my own have the right and even a responsibility to keep looking at their business model and not simply adjust with the times, but to show leadership and innovation. Especially if it's a public company.

If people don't want to pay for CC there are low-cost alternatives that are OK but possibly inferior, or perhaps simply unfamiliar, or there's the murky illegal pathway. This may be good for the wallet, but not good for the creative soul that is more likely to thrive in honest, clear air.

I'm looking forward to CC 2.

-pw

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Tugela said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Wait what???? I thought the whole thing about their 'magical' 'cloud' is that it was supposed to have constant and continuous updates and also that is why they couldn't continue with the old version and now they make it sound like well CC1 was CS7 and now we have a new major update CS8 ooppps I mean the magical CC2...

Because the applications are integrated. Smaller changes that affect only one program can be made at any time (and are - there have been plenty of updates, it is only in the last few months they have fallen off, obviously because the platform update is coming), while platform updates that affect many programs will be done at the same time. You can't introduce changes to one program that call on or share features in another program that don't exist yet for example.

Not true. Yes, there have been updates over the past year, but mostly of the bug fix and tweak variety. I can't think of a single major feature that's been added since I started subscribing. And, yes, that pretty much violates the contract they had with their customers that major improvements would be made immediately available to their subscribers just as soon as they developed them without having to wait for version releases.

The programs are no more integrated than they ever were. Each is a standalone program and in fact one of the features of CC is that you can just download the programs you want. You don't have to download the whole suite and tie up your resources with programs you don't want or need (Flash for example).

I'm not an Adobe hater and I'm not a cloud paranoid. I subscribe to CC because it's a good deal and the price I pay is small in comparison to other photographic equipment. Heck I just ordered a filter and a memory card that cost almost as much as a year's subscription.

Still, let's be honest about this. Adobe made certain commitments when they launched CC and now they've decided that their marketing strategy should trump that agreement. I'm not particularly upset, but I see no reason to defend them.

Upvote 0
Unfocused said:
Not true. Yes, there have been updates over the past year, but mostly of the bug fix and tweak variety. I can't think of a single major feature that's been added since I started subscribing. And, yes, that pretty much violates the contract they had with their customers that major improvements would be made immediately available to their subscribers just as soon as they developed them without having to wait for version releases.

Perspective Warp is a pretty major feature, as is linked Smart Objects and 3D Printing support. All in a Jan 2014 release.
Go back through the rev. history, and you will see that Adobe has done what they said they would. All additions aren't expected to be essential for all photographers, but they do show a continous flow of new features

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
wtlloyd said:
Unfocused said:

Perspective Warp is a pretty major feature, as is linked Smart Objects and 3D Printing support. All in a Jan 2014 release.
Go back through the rev. history, and you will see that Adobe has done what they said they would. All additions aren't expected to be essential for all photographers, but they do show a continuous flow of new features

Okay, I'll concede that. I'll admit that I haven't much interest in any of these features so I didn't really focus on them. I use Smart Objects, but mostly to go in and out of RAW to tweak adjustments on different layers.

Still though, the main point is that we were supposed to dispense with version upgrades. Understand, I'm not worked up about it. Just kind of amused. The real kicker for me will be to see what sort of price they offer to subscribers to lure renewals.

Upvote 0
I'm a CC user (PS and Lightroom) and I'm very happy with the arrangement. Not everyone is a hater...

But will you still be happy if/when the price increased after your initial 12 months of subscription ?. Given that the regular price for just Photoshop CC is still $19.99 per month, it's unlikely that Adobe will be content at maintaining the Photoshop Photography Progam at $9.99 per month for long.

Upvote 0
I've got zero complaints about the Cloud.

If this was three years back and a retailer offered CS6 for $9.99 monthly payments, most would've jumped for it.

So no, you don't get the packaging or discs but the latest version of PS is never more than an update away. Also, for those who are early adopters of lenses or bodies...

Upvote 0
If this was three years back and a retailer offered CS6 for $9.99 monthly payments, most would've jumped for it.

$9.99 is a great price, but what if the same retailer offered CS6 at $9.99 per month for the first 12 months then $19.99 a month or higher indefinitely to have the most recent version of Photoshop or $25 a month (after the initial 12 months) for what's now known as the Photoshop Photography Program ?.

Upvote 0
bitm2007 said:

$9.99 is a great price, but what if the same retailer offered CS6 at $9.99 per month for the first 12 months then $19.99 a month or higher indefinitely to have the most recent version of Photoshop or $25 a month (after the initial 12 months) for what's now known as the Photoshop Photography Program ?.

Fair question but the $19.99 price point is based more on skepticism than anything Adobe has advised of.
Further, for my $9.99, Adobe has also thrown in LightRoom, Bridge and various other programs for that price.

The only reason why I'm somewhat aware and concerned of a price increase is because the amount of commentary from user/non subscriber who firmly insist that this is Adobe's way of duping the public.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if there is somebody here with an economics background that could play devil's advocate and go bat for Adobe?

Just how is their profit margin affected by the Cloud subscription? What kind of money is saved by not producing packaging and use of a disc?

How is this different from the way publishers charge a dollar for iPhone games or content for Facebook games?

Will the review point be all about the number of subscribers?

Just interested.

Upvote 0