Adobe Updates Lightroom to 6.3, Restores Old Import Screen

AvTvM

EOS 5D MK IV
Nov 4, 2011
3,165
0
mustafa said:
JonAustin said:
I'm not a Lightroom 6 user (still on v5.7), but it's nice to see that Adobe listened to real users about the import function. Lots of bugs squashed, too.
There's not much to celebrate here. If they'd retained a culture of talking openly and regularly to senior users, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place.
+1 - exactly!
 

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
1,411
11
I did load the update to my stand alone version. I do have the old import screen back. Everything seems to be running fine....but time will tell on that measure.
 

Orangutan

EOR R
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
AvTvM said:
I will not "upgrade" from LR 5.7 since i am denued CC features (like de-haze), if i were to purchase LR 6.3. CC is out of the question, won't ever go subscription/pay as you go route.
At least in the U.S. you can buy LR 6 as a standalone product -- I did.

Adobe's reaction shows, just how powerful users are, if they write on forums ("totally useless" as many say), complain ("stop the whining", as many say), and stir up a massive S___storm ("will not even be noticed by the company", as many say). I say: people have the power.
I assume you're referring to Canon, and the features you want. There's a big difference: Adobe's has, essentially, a monopoly in photo software, and so probably didn't do their market research before this. On the other hand, Canon has plenty of competition, and does market research. Also, the Adobe problem wasn't just loss of the import screen, it was a pile of bugs as well.
 

KBStudio

EOS T7i
Oct 24, 2013
64
0
www.kimbrunstudio.com
Lightroom 6.3 still broken

The bug that RGB value bug is still there. Just are not enough people using the histogram values to evaluate their files I guess. Our studio will stay with LR 5.7.1 as it is essential that we know if the files are going to meet our clients needs.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,089
1,415
119
AvTvM said:
I .....won't ever go subscription/pay as you go route.
I used to think that. And I am sure many, including yourself, will never do it, but for me and my business it makes perfect sense.

As for Adobe taking notice, I am very pleasantly surprised they have not only taken notice, but have rolled back decisions they have made quickly due to customer pressure. A very reassuring trend! We don't want mob rule, but listening to the current user base rather than dumbing down without thought to current users in the hope of attracting new users smelt bad.
 

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
1,148
232
33
Pune
I hope the bug related random crashes when opening develop module has been fixed. I had a terrible time trying to process files from D7200 in lightroom 6.1 .
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,595
808
I had no issues with the new interface, once I took 5 minutes to figure out how to properly use it, it was fast and reasonably easy. However, the old one is more familiar.

The only issue I have with 6.X is the exports, they are very slow and hog all my cpu.
 

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
641
0
Horseshoe Bay, TX
mustafa said:
JonAustin said:
I'm not a Lightroom 6 user (still on v5.7), but it's nice to see that Adobe listened to real users about the import function. Lots of bugs squashed, too.
There's not much to celebrate here. If they'd retained a culture of talking openly and regularly to senior users, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place.
I wasn't "celebrating," just making a casual observation. (What cause would I have for celebration, since I don't use this version of the program?)

I posted to an earlier thread my thoughts about Adobe's foolishness in making design changes based (solely?) on the confusion caused to some newbies by LR's import function, to the chagrin of more advanced or experienced users, particularly since they provided no option to access the legacy function, instead replacing it entirely with the new one.

When I was in the service, my Army counterparts had a sarcastic saying: "Change without improvement is progress nevertheless."
 

Etienne

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 19, 2010
1,361
156
Ottawa Ontario
Orangutan said:
distant.star said:
.
I'll be holding off on this one, thank you.
I was burned by the last "update," and will hold off several weeks, at least, to make sure the user consensus is positive, or maybe even until 6.3.1 comes out.
I didn't get burned in the last one, but I too am waiting a few more weeks. This is a common problem with a great many software updates, and I always wait until the early adopters iron out the problems before updating, or "upgrading."

I want to thank all the guinea pigs, er I mean early adopters, for spending their time being beta testers so that I can have a smooth, drama-free upgrade experience a short time later.
 

KBStudio

EOS T7i
Oct 24, 2013
64
0
www.kimbrunstudio.com
Sadly they have not fixed the Soft Proofing bug. I tested LR 6.3/LR CC 2015.3 and LR 5.7.1. The only version that displays the RGB values correctly is LR 5.7.1. This bug was reported back in April 2015 and repeatedly mention in many different forums including Adobe's bug site. Must be a really difficult fix for them. The studio will continue to use LR 5.7.1 as it is essential that we know the actual RGB values. Our clients expected it as do our post-production people.
 

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
546
147
So far the upgrade has been stable and a definite improvement. Import seems faster too.

What I am not happy with is the HDR function that has a lot of noise spread in areas around the image. Sharpness is also not optimal which is a shame as it is beautifully simple to execute and retains DNG editing.
 
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:
The upgrade went smoothly for me, but I didn’t experience any issues with the last one either. I just wish they had reverted the splash screen too, I hate the one in 6.2/6.3
You can make your own splash screen to replace the default one. See the article here:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/03/neat-trick-customize-lightroom-5-splash-screen-image-less-minute/
SWEET! Thanks!

OK...I have to ammend this post....Actually I could not change my splash screen. I followed the tree of folders that was laid out for a Mac...and then did a search. There is no "Splash Screen" folder on my computer. I am running the new version 6.3 off of my machine. i.e. not the cloud version. (if that matters?).
Oh well.
Found it! /Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/lr_splash.png
(and also the same but /lr_splash@2x.png)

(If you're not familiar with this, note that you can right click on "Adobe Lightroom.app" and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. That's how you get into Contents.)
 
Nov 18, 2015
1
0
None of the features make any difference to me since the performance of V6 is still atrocious. It can take 5-10 seconds to move from one photo to the next in develop mode. The productivity impact makes everything else mute.

And yes, I have everything on my SSD drive, have 8GB of memory, I have increased the cache sizes, etc.

V5.7 remains quite responsive with the same set of files and library. I just don't get it.

Doug
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,089
1,415
119
dfairbairn said:
None of the features make any difference to me since the performance of V6 is still atrocious. It can take 5-10 seconds to move from one photo to the next in develop mode. The productivity impact makes everything else mute.

And yes, I have everything on my SSD drive, have 8GB of memory, I have increased the cache sizes, etc.

V5.7 remains quite responsive with the same set of files and library. I just don't get it.

Doug
I have a catalog with 70,000 images, a cache of 40GB that is on the same drive as the catalog not the boot volume, the catalog is optimised regularly and I run it on a modest i5 Mac Mini. If you have not prebuilt 1:1 previews Develop Module will suck, if you have prebuilt 1:1 previews, as I do, the Develop Module is under two seconds for any random image selection from anywhere in the Library.
 

rexbot

EOS M50
Nov 3, 2012
25
0
bseitz234 said:
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:
The upgrade went smoothly for me, but I didn’t experience any issues with the last one either. I just wish they had reverted the splash screen too, I hate the one in 6.2/6.3
You can make your own splash screen to replace the default one. See the article here:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/03/neat-trick-customize-lightroom-5-splash-screen-image-less-minute/
SWEET! Thanks!

OK...I have to ammend this post....Actually I could not change my splash screen. I followed the tree of folders that was laid out for a Mac...and then did a search. There is no "Splash Screen" folder on my computer. I am running the new version 6.3 off of my machine. i.e. not the cloud version. (if that matters?).
Oh well.
Found it! /Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/lr_splash.png
(and also the same but /lr_splash@2x.png)

(If you're not familiar with this, note that you can right click on "Adobe Lightroom.app" and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. That's how you get into Contents.)
Works for me with V6 on Mac - note that the article mentions "if you don't have a Splash Screen folder, just create an empty one and put your image there" or something like that. I just created the new folder in the specified location and it works fine.

Doing it this way overrides the default splash screen without having to change the resource file in the application bundle every time they do a patch. Hope it works out for you one way or the other.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
8,089
1,415
119
KBStudio said:
Sadly they have not fixed the Soft Proofing bug. I tested LR 6.3/LR CC 2015.3 and LR 5.7.1. The only version that displays the RGB values correctly is LR 5.7.1. This bug was reported back in April 2015 and repeatedly mention in many different forums including Adobe's bug site. Must be a really difficult fix for them. The studio will continue to use LR 5.7.1 as it is essential that we know the actual RGB values. Our clients expected it as do our post-production people.
I just mimicked that, and it is strange behaviour. Whilst I don't doubt that it is a cause of concern for you, and it needs to be fixed, could you explain why you need accurate soft proof RGB figures bearing in mind the pre proof figures stay constant, that is, if you set up a file with X% and need to replicate that, just set the next file up with the same figures before proofing. Just interested in your work really.

As an aside, I don't do any printing or proofing in Lightroom, I do it all in PS, call me old fashioned but I never made a print without specific output sharpening and LR sharpening is utter garbage compared to PS sharpening.
 

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
153
1
56
Temple, NH
Visit site
rexbot said:
bseitz234 said:
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:
The upgrade went smoothly for me, but I didn’t experience any issues with the last one either. I just wish they had reverted the splash screen too, I hate the one in 6.2/6.3
You can make your own splash screen to replace the default one. See the article here:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/03/neat-trick-customize-lightroom-5-splash-screen-image-less-minute/
SWEET! Thanks!

OK...I have to ammend this post....Actually I could not change my splash screen. I followed the tree of folders that was laid out for a Mac...and then did a search. There is no "Splash Screen" folder on my computer. I am running the new version 6.3 off of my machine. i.e. not the cloud version. (if that matters?).
Oh well.
Found it! /Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/lr_splash.png
(and also the same but /lr_splash@2x.png)

(If you're not familiar with this, note that you can right click on "Adobe Lightroom.app" and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. That's how you get into Contents.)
Works for me with V6 on Mac - note that the article mentions "if you don't have a Splash Screen folder, just create an empty one and put your image there" or something like that. I just created the new folder in the specified location and it works fine.

Doing it this way overrides the default splash screen without having to change the resource file in the application bundle every time they do a patch. Hope it works out for you one way or the other.
Worked for me on a PC, thanks!
 

martti

EOS 7D MK II
May 11, 2014
692
11
21.1144° S, 55.5325° E
Adobe is doing a lot of command-z these days. Now if they'd make a version of Photoshop available here in the Indian Ocean area, I might get it. I know of an another guy who might as well. If not, Serif gets our money.