Adobe Updates Lightroom to 6.3, Restores Old Import Screen

Nov 4, 2011
mustafa said:
JonAustin said:
I'm not a Lightroom 6 user (still on v5.7), but it's nice to see that Adobe listened to real users about the import function. Lots of bugs squashed, too.

There's not much to celebrate here. If they'd retained a culture of talking openly and regularly to senior users, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place.

+1 - exactly!

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I will not "upgrade" from LR 5.7 since i am denued CC features (like de-haze), if i were to purchase LR 6.3. CC is out of the question, won't ever go subscription/pay as you go route.
At least in the U.S. you can buy LR 6 as a standalone product -- I did.

Adobe's reaction shows, just how powerful users are, if they write on forums ("totally useless" as many say), complain ("stop the whining", as many say), and stir up a massive S___storm ("will not even be noticed by the company", as many say). I say: people have the power.

I assume you're referring to Canon, and the features you want. There's a big difference: Adobe's has, essentially, a monopoly in photo software, and so probably didn't do their market research before this. On the other hand, Canon has plenty of competition, and does market research. Also, the Adobe problem wasn't just loss of the import screen, it was a pile of bugs as well.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I will not "upgrade" from LR 5.7 since i am denued CC features (like de-haze), if i were to purchase LR 6.3. CC is out of the question, won't ever go subscription/pay as you go route.
You can get de-haze in the standalone LR6 via Prolost's free plugin here: http://www.proloststore.com/products/dehaze. I've been using it for a while and it works quite nicely.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
I .....won't ever go subscription/pay as you go route.

I used to think that. And I am sure many, including yourself, will never do it, but for me and my business it makes perfect sense.

As for Adobe taking notice, I am very pleasantly surprised they have not only taken notice, but have rolled back decisions they have made quickly due to customer pressure. A very reassuring trend! We don't want mob rule, but listening to the current user base rather than dumbing down without thought to current users in the hope of attracting new users smelt bad.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
mustafa said:
JonAustin said:
I'm not a Lightroom 6 user (still on v5.7), but it's nice to see that Adobe listened to real users about the import function. Lots of bugs squashed, too.

There's not much to celebrate here. If they'd retained a culture of talking openly and regularly to senior users, they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place.

I wasn't "celebrating," just making a casual observation. (What cause would I have for celebration, since I don't use this version of the program?)

I posted to an earlier thread my thoughts about Adobe's foolishness in making design changes based (solely?) on the confusion caused to some newbies by LR's import function, to the chagrin of more advanced or experienced users, particularly since they provided no option to access the legacy function, instead replacing it entirely with the new one.

When I was in the service, my Army counterparts had a sarcastic saying: "Change without improvement is progress nevertheless."

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
distant.star said:
I'll be holding off on this one, thank you.

I was burned by the last "update," and will hold off several weeks, at least, to make sure the user consensus is positive, or maybe even until 6.3.1 comes out.

I didn't get burned in the last one, but I too am waiting a few more weeks. This is a common problem with a great many software updates, and I always wait until the early adopters iron out the problems before updating, or "upgrading."

I want to thank all the guinea pigs, er I mean early adopters, for spending their time being beta testers so that I can have a smooth, drama-free upgrade experience a short time later.

Upvote 0
Sadly they have not fixed the Soft Proofing bug. I tested LR 6.3/LR CC 2015.3 and LR 5.7.1. The only version that displays the RGB values correctly is LR 5.7.1. This bug was reported back in April 2015 and repeatedly mention in many different forums including Adobe's bug site. Must be a really difficult fix for them. The studio will continue to use LR 5.7.1 as it is essential that we know the actual RGB values. Our clients expected it as do our post-production people.

Upvote 0
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:
The upgrade went smoothly for me, but I didn’t experience any issues with the last one either. I just wish they had reverted the splash screen too, I hate the one in 6.2/6.3

You can make your own splash screen to replace the default one. See the article here:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/03/neat-trick-customize-lightroom-5-splash-screen-image-less-minute/

SWEET! Thanks!

OK...I have to ammend this post....Actually I could not change my splash screen. I followed the tree of folders that was laid out for a Mac...and then did a search. There is no "Splash Screen" folder on my computer. I am running the new version 6.3 off of my machine. i.e. not the cloud version. (if that matters?).
Oh well.

Found it! /Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/lr_splash.png
(and also the same but /[email protected])

(If you're not familiar with this, note that you can right click on "Adobe Lightroom.app" and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. That's how you get into Contents.)

Upvote 0

dfairbairn

CR Pro
Nov 18, 2015
None of the features make any difference to me since the performance of V6 is still atrocious. It can take 5-10 seconds to move from one photo to the next in develop mode. The productivity impact makes everything else mute.

And yes, I have everything on my SSD drive, have 8GB of memory, I have increased the cache sizes, etc.

V5.7 remains quite responsive with the same set of files and library. I just don't get it.

Doug

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
dfairbairn said:
None of the features make any difference to me since the performance of V6 is still atrocious. It can take 5-10 seconds to move from one photo to the next in develop mode. The productivity impact makes everything else mute.

And yes, I have everything on my SSD drive, have 8GB of memory, I have increased the cache sizes, etc.

V5.7 remains quite responsive with the same set of files and library. I just don't get it.

Doug

I have a catalog with 70,000 images, a cache of 40GB that is on the same drive as the catalog not the boot volume, the catalog is optimised regularly and I run it on a modest i5 Mac Mini. If you have not prebuilt 1:1 previews Develop Module will suck, if you have prebuilt 1:1 previews, as I do, the Develop Module is under two seconds for any random image selection from anywhere in the Library.

Upvote 0
bseitz234 said:
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:
The upgrade went smoothly for me, but I didn’t experience any issues with the last one either. I just wish they had reverted the splash screen too, I hate the one in 6.2/6.3

You can make your own splash screen to replace the default one. See the article here:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/03/neat-trick-customize-lightroom-5-splash-screen-image-less-minute/

SWEET! Thanks!

OK...I have to ammend this post....Actually I could not change my splash screen. I followed the tree of folders that was laid out for a Mac...and then did a search. There is no "Splash Screen" folder on my computer. I am running the new version 6.3 off of my machine. i.e. not the cloud version. (if that matters?).
Oh well.

Found it! /Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/lr_splash.png

(If you're not familiar with this, note that you can right click on "Adobe Lightroom.app" and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. That's how you get into Contents.)

Works for me with V6 on Mac - note that the article mentions "if you don't have a Splash Screen folder, just create an empty one and put your image there" or something like that. I just created the new folder in the specified location and it works fine.

Doing it this way overrides the default splash screen without having to change the resource file in the application bundle every time they do a patch. Hope it works out for you one way or the other.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
KBStudio said:
Sadly they have not fixed the Soft Proofing bug. I tested LR 6.3/LR CC 2015.3 and LR 5.7.1. The only version that displays the RGB values correctly is LR 5.7.1. This bug was reported back in April 2015 and repeatedly mention in many different forums including Adobe's bug site. Must be a really difficult fix for them. The studio will continue to use LR 5.7.1 as it is essential that we know the actual RGB values. Our clients expected it as do our post-production people.

I just mimicked that, and it is strange behaviour. Whilst I don't doubt that it is a cause of concern for you, and it needs to be fixed, could you explain why you need accurate soft proof RGB figures bearing in mind the pre proof figures stay constant, that is, if you set up a file with X% and need to replicate that, just set the next file up with the same figures before proofing. Just interested in your work really.

As an aside, I don't do any printing or proofing in Lightroom, I do it all in PS, call me old fashioned but I never made a print without specific output sharpening and LR sharpening is utter garbage compared to PS sharpening.

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
rexbot said:
bseitz234 said:
infared said:
rexbot said:
kaswindell said:

SWEET! Thanks!

Oh well.

Works for me with V6 on Mac - note that the article mentions "if you don't have a Splash Screen folder, just create an empty one and put your image there" or something like that. I just created the new folder in the specified location and it works fine.

Doing it this way overrides the default splash screen without having to change the resource file in the application bundle every time they do a patch. Hope it works out for you one way or the other.

Worked for me on a PC, thanks!

Upvote 0