Adobe's ID servers crash and take the entire creative community down with them.

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Right now On1 RAW is like $50....
On1 Prices

These are covid half prices I think....but upgrades if you CHOOSE to do them, are usually this half price or near it.
And you do get free updates on it throughout the year...

I found I bought the Affinity Suite (photo, designer and soon to get publisher)....they keep giving free updates so far in perpetuity.....they are also selling half price.

Right nw Affinity Photo is $25.....
Affinity PHoto Pricing

And there are free trials...so, if while you have time during the whole lockdown thing, you might give them a try.

Been doing the ON1 upgrades for a few cycles now...the last few have been $70. I had done so many of them because they haven't been able to get me a version that will do their oft-touted Lightroom migration. Working numerous times with their support team, the end result is it inevitably runs in to another product cycle and they talk me into upgrading. It has potential, the most "Lightroom like" alternative out there I think, but it's too rough around the edges.

Another issue I still have is if I use "cataloged folders" - I'll be working on photos in a completely different folder, and suddenly the whole computer bogs down and the thing is indexing again - and there is no way to tell it to stop. Because of this, and because it's SLOW, I'm done with ON1.

Others have had better experiences with it, but I'm back to using Lightroom. Since I recently picked up an M6 MkII and plan on getting the R5, my old v6 perpetual license won't work with the new files so I did try out the subscription version. Pleasantly surprised that it's faster than the old v6, and will do fine as the hub of whatever tools I settle on. I've tried DXO & Topaz DeNoise and like both to do the things they do, and I've just downloaded the Capture 1 Pro trial since it's on sale crazy cheap right now. Even that likely won't replace LR, I don't expect it to match the DAM features, but if I can figure out the raw conversion tools I'm happy to use both. If after the 1 yr subscription I choose to cancel the Adobe part, I can still use the LR DAM and edit in C1.

Affinity Photo is more than enough for those types of edits - and frankly that's rare the past few years. Love the app, have had it since v1 and no complaints at this point. It's grown nicely and I think it's going to continue.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Been doing the ON1 upgrades for a few cycles now...the last few have been $70. I had done so many of them because they haven't been able to get me a version that will do their oft-touted Lightroom migration. Working numerous times with their support team, the end result is it inevitably runs in to another product cycle and they talk me into upgrading. It has potential, the most "Lightroom like" alternative out there I think, but it's too rough around the edges.

Another issue I still have is if I use "cataloged folders" - I'll be working on photos in a completely different folder, and suddenly the whole computer bogs down and the thing is indexing again - and there is no way to tell it to stop. Because of this, and because it's SLOW, I'm done with ON1.

Others have had better experiences with it, but I'm back to using Lightroom. Since I recently picked up an M6 MkII and plan on getting the R5, my old v6 perpetual license won't work with the new files so I did try out the subscription version. Pleasantly surprised that it's faster than the old v6, and will do fine as the hub of whatever tools I settle on. I've tried DXO & Topaz DeNoise and like both to do the things they do, and I've just downloaded the Capture 1 Pro trial since it's on sale crazy cheap right now. Even that likely won't replace LR, I don't expect it to match the DAM features, but if I can figure out the raw conversion tools I'm happy to use both. If after the 1 yr subscription I choose to cancel the Adobe part, I can still use the LR DAM and edit in C1.

Affinity Photo is more than enough for those types of edits - and frankly that's rare the past few years. Love the app, have had it since v1 and no complaints at this point. It's grown nicely and I think it's going to continue.

Interesting info!!

And again, it is GREAT to have viable choices out there....before Adobe went rental...there really weren't any viable contenders IMHO.

May I ask, what do yo mean but the "DAM" features? Not familiar with that acronym.

I didn't know Capture One Pro was on sale...I'll have to check that out.

I've not had any problems with On1 RAW being slow..at least not in the past edition or so, before that I would get some BOG times.

I've bot a Mac Pro now....if anything started bogging it down, I"d be concerned for sure....but, so far, so good.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Capture One Pro...and again, what does DAM stand for please?

Thanks in advance,

C

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Interesting info!!

And again, it is GREAT to have viable choices out there....before Adobe went rental...there really weren't any viable contenders IMHO.

May I ask, what do yo mean but the "DAM" features? Not familiar with that acronym.

I didn't know Capture One Pro was on sale...I'll have to check that out.

I've not had any problems with On1 RAW being slow..at least not in the past edition or so, before that I would get some BOG times.

I've bot a Mac Pro now....if anything started bogging it down, I"d be concerned for sure....but, so far, so good.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Capture One Pro...and again, what does DAM stand for please?

Thanks in advance,

C
I agree, choice has been good for us. DAM = Digital Asset Management - how we store/manage/work with our images. For me, that might be Lightroom's greatest strength and why I've never been happy enough with any alternatives to actually make the switch. Maybe I've set an unrealistically high bar on that point? Sounds like you're getting on well with ON1, in the end that's all that matters.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I agree, choice has been good for us. DAM = Digital Asset Management - how we store/manage/work with our images. For me, that might be Lightroom's greatest strength and why I've never been happy enough with any alternatives to actually make the switch. Maybe I've set an unrealistically high bar on that point? Sounds like you're getting on well with ON1, in the end that's all that matters.

Ok thank you, I got it.

SO far, I"ve been happy with the ON1's "DAM"....works for me.

I was a bit disappointed that when I got it and was going to try to import all my LR stuff, I found out that it would only work if you had the latest and greatest version of LR and I only had up to LR5.

But not that big a deal...I don't do much with old photos...I still have LR5 to deal with those...and if worse comes to worst...well, they are all RAW images and I could easily bring them into ON1 RAW, or whatever tool I wish to use and I could quickly redo them as needed....likely with a more educated eye/mind than I had when I originally did them when just learning all the tools of the trade so to speak.
:)

OH well...it's all fun.

I'm really enjoying all the creative content that is coming out on YouTube by all the companies here lately....I'm trying to learn a lot when I can....

C

Upvote 0