Adorama is selling 5d3 for $2745 on eBay now

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Musouka

KT said:
Honestly, I thought it was a joke or a scam when I first saw it, I kept on reading it and re-reading it again to find the catch, when I didn't I couldn't help but buy it. That's insane, $750 price drop in 6 months. All I can say is the D800 must be killing them, feel sorry for those who paid the full price just a few weeks ago. At this price, they can move a few thousands in a week.

Or maybe Adorama is clearing their stock before the Rosh Hashanah holiday (September 16).

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
simonxu11 said:
drjlo said:
That's crazy. Wonder if there is a catch, i.e. grey market, etc?
Almost thought about picking up a second 5D III at that price..
It's from Adorama mate, if you heard of B&H, they both are very large Canon USA Authorised Dealers. So not grey!

Nope. They both sell Grey Market cameras. However, when you look at the item, it says "Grey Market" so at least you know.

I live hear in NYC where both Adorama and B&H are both located. they post USA and GREY market items for you to see up front. I have dropped plenty bread at these two stores and have never had a problem with shipped or store bought items.

Upvote 0
KT said:
Honestly, I thought it was a joke or a scam when I first saw it, I kept on reading it and re-reading it again to find the catch, when I didn't I couldn't help but buy it. That's insane, $750 price drop in 6 months. All I can say is the D800 must be killing them, feel sorry for those who paid the full price just a few weeks ago. At this price, they can move a few thousands in a week.

Do you really think that price drop is because of what you may think is the volume of d800 sales?

Upvote 0
M

Musouka

bigmag13 said:
KT said:

Do you really think that price drop is because of what you may think is the volume of d800 sales?

It's possible.

On Amazon, the D800 Body is currently the 4th best-selling DSLR while 5D3 is sitting on the 8th (BO) and 13th (Kit) positions. The 5D2 BO & Kit are currently on the 9th and 26th positions, respectively (source).

On Amazon Japan, the D800 Body is currently the 54th best-selling DSLR. The D600 is number 9 already. Canon 5D offerings hold these positions:

5D Mark II BO: 44
5D Mark II Kit: 59
5D Mark III BO: 62

(source)

Who knows what's the situation is like elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Ew

Mar 21, 2012
Cost of inventory. That's the key here - Adorama is a respected business, and I suspect they see run for the D600s coming and need to clear space. Might as well make a bit over cost in the short and take make up on the new hot ticket than play it very long - 2000 vs 3400 is a big difference for a consumer coming in off the street.

Good for all that are able to benefit. Please post back that it turns out well. And congrats to Adorama for being so aggressive !!

@OP - thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
E

e_honda

I just took the plunge, as this is from an authorized dealer and I believe it is roughly the same price as the initial MSRP of the 5D2.

That being said, this is an authorized dealer listing it for $750 under the initial MSRP 6 months after being released, and it doesn't appear to be in small quantities. That pretty much tells you the initial price tag was just way, way overpriced for what should be considered a refinement of what was already a very good product.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I pulled the trigger on one myself. BTW, the counter now says 489 sold. It's going to be like McDonalds pretty soon at this rate!

I felt that $3500 USD was overpriced and so did a lot of other people.

I was waiting to make my purchase expecting the price to come down a few hundred in the Black Friday to End-Of-Year period, but this is astonishing. It would be fun to know why Adorama broke ranks and lowered the price so much, so soon. I would also like to know if they had to get some kind of approval from Canon to do so. No point speculating without data.

I'm upgrading from a 5D classic. Can't wait to start working with the new autofocus system. I want to see how it works with my collection of lenses.

Upvote 0
I have a hunch they kept the 5D3 price so high initially because they wanted to keep selling the 5D2. Remember the D700 was discontinued upon D800 arrival. This kept the 5D2 selling well due to the huge price gap.

So I'm going to assume the 5D2 will be discontinued very shortly and a new lower price model will be introduced. Canon was the first to sell a digital DSLR below 1k, now the can have the first FF below 2k!

Note: None of these statements have been researched or fact checked, so I reserve the right to be wildly off base on all claims.

I got my 5D2 for less than 1500- good prices come to those who don't pre-order! Stay a generation behind and you'll never have buyer's remorse :)

Upvote 0
KT said:
All I can say is the D800 must be killing them, feel sorry for those who paid the full price just a few weeks ago.

I appreciate your pity, but I've shot dozens of gigs since picking up my MK3, so its more than paid for itself at this point. Not having to deal with the miserable ergonomics, AF, burst rate, and handling of my old 5DC for the last six months has been well worth the $750 I paid. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. That said, this is a smokin' deal, and I just forwarded it to a bunch to some fellow photogs. Gotta love competition!

Upvote 0
I've been packing away money for the 6D FF or whatever its going to be called. When I saw this deal today, I couldn't say no. Two and half years using, learning with and loving my T2i, I'm taking the FF plunge (for good reasons, not to just say I have the gear) and I'm excited and nervous. Can't wait to get it!

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
My biggest fear out of this deal is that the 6D sensor will wind up being of a stellar quality, something similar to the 18 MP of the 1D X and that Canon is dumping all the 5D III stock they know will stagnate once word gets out about the 6D sensor, but even then you are getting a top quality AF with an OK sensor. The last count at the Adorama X-mas in September fire-sale stands at 560, all these people couldn't be totally wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.