Adorama wants your used Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I could be mistaken, but I think Canon Rumors Guy tried it and dropped it. I suspect it was more hassle than it was worth. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not really sure how it would be any hassle? Other than setting up the forum, which would literally be about 10 minutes (I used to own another forum), there is no policing, or monitoring that would need to be done.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm not really sure how it would be any hassle? Other than setting up the forum, which would literally be about 10 minutes (I used to own another forum), there is no policing, or monitoring that would need to be done.
The XenForo software does allow a marketplace however it's his decision to run it as he sees fit, no matter our ideas. Sure, you could email Craig and he is very quick to respond and a great guy, I'm sure he'll share his reasons.

Me? I'd (as of recently, had no need for one prior) love a 'Block' instead of 'Ignore' function.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
The XenForo software does allow a marketplace however it's his decision to run it as he sees fit, no matter our ideas. Sure, you could email Craig and he is very quick to respond and a great guy, I'm sure he'll share his reasons.

Me? I'd (as of recently, had no need for one prior) love a 'Block' instead of 'Ignore' function.

I completely agree that he can use the forum however he wishes. I'm just saying that I think it would add a TON of value with minimal effort.

Also, just a guess here, but I think that people who spend much time here probably take pretty good care of their gear. Logically, if you're so into cameras that you spend your free time reading about rumors of what's coming next, you're probably not trashing the gear you have. No evidence of that, just seems to follow logic. And those are exactly the type of people who I'd like to buy/sell/trade with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I completely agree that he can use the forum however he wishes. I'm just saying that I think it would add a TON of value with minimal effort.

Also, just a guess here, but I think that people who spend much time here probably take pretty good care of their gear. Logically, if you're so into cameras that you spend your free time reading about rumors of what's coming next, you're probably not trashing the gear you have. No evidence of that, just seems to follow logic. And those are exactly the type of people who I'd like to buy/sell/trade with.

Not a very good assumption, in my opinion. I believe the range of "gear care" here is little different than among any random selection of enthusiast photographers.

The group I'd least want to buy from would be photojournalists. They don't baby their gear at all, from what I've seen. They actually USE it until it falls apart.

You really can't tell by how somebody posts, or whether they are obsessing over specs. These little peeks into the personalities of the members reveal nothing about "gear hygiene." (Or personal hygiene!)

You sound like you do care about yours, though. But how would we know unless we knew you personally or bought several things directly from you?

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
Not a very good assumption, in my opinion. I believe the range of "gear care" here is little different than among any random selection of enthusiast photographers.

The group I'd least want to buy from would be photojournalists. They don't baby their gear at all, from what I've seen. They actually USE it until it falls apart.

You really can't tell by how somebody posts, or whether they are obsessing over specs. These little peeks into the personalities of the members reveal nothing about "gear hygiene." (Or personal hygiene!)

You sound like you do care about yours, though. But how would we know unless we knew you personally or bought several things directly from you?

Ok, quick note first...I haven't posted here much, but I've been reading/lurking for a WHILE.

I don't get the impression that most people here are photojournalists. It seems like the majority (again, just an assumption) are hobbyists/enthusiasts. Maybe I'm wrong though?

"How would people know about my gear?" That's why I'd like there to be a buy/sell/trade forum. I could easily show photos/videos of my gear *in like new condition*, all the boxes, etc. If I was selling something high end I could even show a CPS service report. (although I take fantastic care of my gear and almost never need to have anything serviced) After a few transactions I'd start to build a reputation, just like any eBay seller.

I just have to imagine that there are more people like me on this board than there are on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ok, quick note first...I haven't posted here much, but I've been reading/lurking for a WHILE.

I don't get the impression that most people here are photojournalists. It seems like the majority (again, just an assumption) are hobbyists/enthusiasts. Maybe I'm wrong though?

"How would people know about my gear?" That's why I'd like there to be a buy/sell/trade forum. I could easily show photos/videos of my gear *in like new condition*, all the boxes, etc. If I was selling something high end I could even show a CPS service report. (although I take fantastic care of my gear and almost never need to have anything serviced) After a few transactions I'd start to build a reputation, just like any eBay seller.

I just have to imagine that there are more people like me on this board than there are on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.
I think your comments are warranted and reasonable. Maybe it will come true, perhaps Craig would put up a poll, who knows.

Upvote 0
Why would I send one to Adorama? But I'd sell you one for 1¢, and include 2 CFast cards and readers, 3 CF cards, a WFT-E8, box paperwork and everything that came with the camera, cards, readers, and WFT, oh, and if RRS come out with an updated design for the L-Plate (I have emailed them and pointed out the shutter release notch is in the wrong place for the MkIII) I'll throw in one of those too. Actuations you can choose one has <120,000 and is good condition, the other has <10,000 and is basically mint, the price is the same for either. Shipping and handling would be $3,999.99...
no need to ship. I'll pick it up.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I believe in selling my gear when I have stopped using it in order to recycle and let others have the benefit. MPB and others actually pay fair prices because they have to receive, check, store and despatch, pay staff, rents and advertising and then have to deal with returns and defective equipment as well as gamble on being able to resell. I've sold and bought happily to and from them and on eBay. I just sold an expensive white lens on eBay as they were doing a £1 maximum fees promotion. I insisted on collection only as the buyer would need to test it. It has gone to a local birder who is over the moon with his purchase as he has dreamed of owning this lens for years. And I am really happy that it has gone directly to someone who will cherish as it compensates for the price hit. Who knows what is going to happen to prices. Times are changing rapidly and new gear is appearing too fast to keep up with.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My (and others) experience has been they provide unrealistic prices and when one sends flawless items to them Adorama downgrades the condition and sends back a quote which is some 30% less than the original one.

I tried twice with them. Initial quote was low but reasonable. After I sent the item, they came back with much lower offer.

The first time the said condition was less than they’d thought. The last time, I couldn’t get them to indicate why the difference. I had them send me back the items both times.

mid I lived in NYC, it might be worth visiting and asking, but otherwise it seems a waste of time.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If someone is interested in a purchase they can start by spending significant time on CR (that might be years) and unless you don't interact much and unless you're not a very good judge of folk, you will be able to assess fairly well whether certain long term CR folk are going to deliver conscientiously. I wouldn't blink buying a 1DX2 off of Scott, PBD. Unfortunately I have one. I bought a 1D4 off EML (Edward Lang) and he shipped it and I paid later - now that's one trusting good guy. Of course one never knows 100%.

Jack

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I tried twice with them. Initial quote was low but reasonable. After I sent the item, they came back with much lower offer.

The first time the said condition was less than they’d thought. The last time, I couldn’t get them to indicate why the difference. I had them send me back the items both times.

mid I lived in NYC, it might be worth visiting and asking, but otherwise it seems a waste of time.
Oh yeah I had a very similar issue, it was not very compelling and I chose to not continue the process.I also reached out to others with similar experiences and it validated my feelings.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I believe in selling my gear when I have stopped using it in order to recycle and let others have the benefit. MPB and others actually pay fair prices because they have to receive, check, store and despatch, pay staff, rents and advertising and then have to deal with returns and defective equipment as well as gamble on being able to resell. I've sold and bought happily to and from them and on eBay. I just sold an expensive white lens on eBay as they were doing a £1 maximum fees promotion. I insisted on collection only as the buyer would need to test it. It has gone to a local birder who is over the moon with his purchase as he has dreamed of owning this lens for years. And I am really happy that it has gone directly to someone who will cherish as it compensates for the price hit. Who knows what is going to happen to prices. Times are changing rapidly and new gear is appearing too fast to keep up with.
Same positive selling experience with MPB.
But, quite often, their used prices are as high as brand-new items outside GB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0