Advice for checking a used 5Dmk2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
I doubt if you could adequately test one, there can be intermittent issues and issues that are hard to find. I think $1600 is too much myself. Its a risk. Lots of bodies have hot pixels, but determining how hot is going to require some testing. I'd try to get a refurb or new body that you can return if its not right, and has a warranty so they will repair it if you discover a issue after a few weeks. This is something you will want to use for years, and not buy into someones misery.

Upvote 0
Apart from obvious wear & tear, if you can get an accurate shutter count, you'll have some idea how much it's been used and how much life the shutter probably has. I don't know the expected shutter life on the 5D2. Maybe someone who knows can tell us.

The utility I've always found in Google searches is this:

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Not sure if you could use it on the spot or just have the seller look it up for you.

Upvote 0
JerryKnight said:
Apart from obvious wear & tear, if you can get an accurate shutter count, you'll have some idea how much it's been used and how much life the shutter probably has. I don't know the expected shutter life on the 5D2. Maybe someone who knows can tell us.

The utility I've always found in Google searches is this:

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Not sure if you could use it on the spot or just have the seller look it up for you.

150k is the expected life.

Upvote 0
After watching some interesting bits in a local camera store - sales guy with an xacto knife near the exposed sensor - taking my sensor loop is a good start. Also taking a few shots of a blue sky at f22 to see if anything else is impacting things. Burst mode shots, AI Servo shots.

Any publicly available 'stolen gear' list I can check? A box is a sure sign of a proper sale - but last thing I want to do is pick up a stolen one.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Halfrack said:
After watching some interesting bits in a local camera store - sales guy with an xacto knife near the exposed sensor - taking my sensor loop is a good start. Also taking a few shots of a blue sky at f22 to see if anything else is impacting things. Burst mode shots, AI Servo shots.

Any publicly available 'stolen gear' list I can check? A box is a sure sign of a proper sale - but last thing I want to do is pick up a stolen one.

You can usually tell a stolen camera, they do not give you a address and do not have the original box, manuals, receipts etc, just what they grabbed out of someone's car or residence.

I'd recommend buying a refurb with warranty, or a new one while the Canon discount is going. $1400 for refurbs using the Canon CLP when they have them.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Halfrack said:

You can usually tell a stolen camera, they do not give you a address and do not have the original box, manuals, receipts etc, just what they grabbed out of someone's car or residence.

I'd recommend buying a refurb with warranty, or a new one while the Canon discount is going. $1400 for refurbs using the Canon CLP when they have them.

I was robbed at gun point in my home a year ago jan, and they took everything. They tried to sell my gear to another photographer. That other photographer found my biz card in the bag along with a client contract contract so he called me up and I told him what had happened. He suspected it was stolen because the camera was dirty. If someone is selling a high end camera, they are going to clean it up really nice. If it looks dirty, that should be a red flag. Also, of course, if you see a biz card in something someone is trying to sell you, MAJOR red flag!!

FYI thanks to this honest, awesome photographer, who is now my friend, the a-holes who did this to me are rotting in jail. Hopefully for a long, long time.

And yes, I got (almost) all my stuff back. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.