Advice needed on set up to shoot cats and dogs at shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the great recommendations on lighting set ups/optoions (I know very little about this except about flash which I hope to avoid) and reminders on the grey card ( I have one in my kit and it does save a great deal of time) and all advice on approaching the animals (and choice of lens) to routinely get great pictures quickly. It will be an experiment and if it works I will update you guys.

DBCdp said:
Looks like you're on the right track, but you might also consider using live view. The shutter sound is quieter and you can see the end result...framing, dof, lighting...much easier. Also, be sure to use a long enough lens that you're not too close to them, they'll be much more comfortable and so will you in some cases. A zoom will allow you to make framing choices without moving around too much and distracting/scaring the skittish ones.

Anybody think to mention treats? If you've got several different kinds you'll be sure to appeal to almost every animal, and this get's that head up, eye's alert, ears forward like nothing else! Makes your shoot go a lot quicker and gives the best look of the animal up for adoption.

Good luck!

Please post info on those treats. I have great cat treats but I'm curious on what you are using for the doggies.

Here are my two rescues from the shelter sitting happily at home:

6793156444_cd580d62fa_b.jpg

6939268561_cd73b09e13_b.jpg

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
BobSanderson said:
Please post info on those treats. I have great cat treats but I'm curious on what you are using for the doggies.
Most dogs are garbage cans, so almost anything works- bits of hotdog weiner, Snausages, those "bacon" things, but my dogs go mental over a kind of "peanut" treat sold only at Walmart. The only treat I've never had success with are those milkbones- for some reason they're hit-and-miss. But, like people- dogs all have different preferences, so 2 or 3 different types would guarantee that you had something for everyone.

Good luck, please post some of your shots!

Upvote 0
D

DeadPixel

Bob,

My cats don't mind flash at all, but of course the "laser" eyes effect is rather unattractive. I've found if I can get my cat to look away the effect is minimized to the point where the flash works and doesnt seem to affect the animal. Anything shiny works with my cats, I included a sample from recently below while playing around with perspective. A tin foil ball has been equally as distracting as the hershey kiss illustrated (no I did not let them eat it!) I've also found laser pointers work well for getting the attention of both cats and dogs, but if I shine my laser up where the cat can't get to it (ceiling or such) they will stay in that pose locked up on the point and I can photo to my hearts content.

I haven't done much with dogs, but the trick that worked well with the picture below was having a second person hold a ball like they were going to throw it right behind me. Their dog would sit and wait for the throw to go after it, that period worked good for getting some "happy" shots of the dog. Of cousre this may not work with you're enviornment.

Good luck!

DeadPixel

Attachments

• Cat1.JPG
    Cat1.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 645
  • dog1.JPG
    dog1.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 646
Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

StevenBrianSamuels said:
Shoot the dogs outside of their cages (I'm sure the people walk the dogs) and maybe use your flash for fill only (but try first without). In cages is just a reminder of them being in a shelter. Outside and happy will sell it to the people better.

Whatever you do remember to capture happy animals...That may take sometime for some but even a running dog is better then a dog with it's tail between its legs.
+1
If at all posible, try to capture the animals in a happy and joyful state. Playing with an employee/volunteer is a great idea. You want to showcase the animal's personality, not remind people that they're in a cage.

Also, kudos to you for this. Our dog is a shelter pup, and all future dogs will be as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.