AF issues with 600 and 400 MK III

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Please tell me what am I doing wrong.
I just upgraded from the MK II versions of these (600F4 and 400 F2.8)
Both the lenses on 1DxMKII will not AF at all when changing focusing from a near to a far point. e.g. If I am focused at 20 ft-trying to focus at 200 ft or at infinity does not work- the camera will simply not focus. Even rotating the barrel manually does not do any good.
OTOH- if I go from, say, 20-50-100-200 ft to infinity - it will focus but that too is inconsistent. sometimes no matter what I do- nothing , I repeat, nothing at any distance will be in focus.
I keep the AF-ON or the shutter half pushed. Makes no difference.
Even on manual focus- rotating the focusing barrel does not change focus promptly- it rotates on and on- reminds me of 85 mm 1.2L

Never had these issues with the old lenses.
Called Canon - could not give me a solution. Tried their recommendations- no result.
I am sure the fault lies with me. What am I doing wrong- what am I expecting wrong?

Please help. Thanks.

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Based on another tech savvy photographer's suggestion- I did reset all functions in both cameras and now- both lenses work like a charm. All issues solved. But that brings up the million dollar question- what setting caused the fault and will it come back when I reload my settings?
I guess I just have to try and see
Any idea anybody ? Please ??

Upvote 0