AF review of Eos 1Dx Mk3 by Fro

Jan 29, 2011
Indeed it does look good, and I had mulled the idea he used of a hoodman to use it as an effective MILC in Live View, I know it looks silly etc but I am having real issues converting to EVF's full time for pro work, I still find the lag distracting, the brightness odd, and looking through one for hours gives me motion sickness.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Indeed it does look good, and I had mulled the idea he used of a hoodman to use it as an effective MILC in Live View, I know it looks silly etc but I am having real issues converting to EVF's full time for pro work, I still find the lag distracting, the brightness odd, and looking through one for hours gives me motion sickness.
The problem with a Hoodman is that you lose access to the touchscreen, which is one of the main advantages to live view.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
After seeing this I'm debating how I'm going to keep my composure if the R5 doesn't AF this well! :unsure: And then there is the, will there soon be an R1 that will be the true mirrorless of the 1Dx3, a little bigger and all the bells and whistles. And what if it (the R5) doesn't have a CFe slot?

Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I love how the camera momentarily locks onto the basketball a couple of times. I wonder if it's seeing a face in there or if the deep learning neural net has learned to recognize balls as pertinent objects in their own category.
My guess would be that it recognized the ball as a head with a helmet. Face AF detection should be really reliable, but the Head detection uses a Neural Network and is as good as the training data. Maybe it will see improvements over time once Canon gets more Input, like we saw with the EOS R.

After seeing this I'm debating how I'm going to keep my composure if the R5 doesn't AF this well! :unsure: And then there is the, will there soon be an R1 that will be the true mirrorless of the 1Dx3, a little bigger and all the bells and whistles. And what if it doesn't have a CFe slot?
Why would Canon spend so much time and effort to get the LiveView Performance of a 1D X series body as great as possible? In previous versions, there straight up was no servo AF in LiveView, so clearly they don't think the target demographic craves good LiveView AF.

I believe the 1DX III gave them the budget to lay down the fundament for future mirrorless bodies. The DIGIC X plays a great part in the AF, for instance it handles the head detection and has dedicated circuits for dealing with DPAF. It would be a shame if they didn't tickle that thing down to the upcoming models.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
After seeing this I'm debating how I'm going to keep my composure if the R5 doesn't AF this well! :unsure: And then there is the, will there soon be an R1 that will be the true mirrorless of the 1Dx3, a little bigger and all the bells and whistles. And what if it doesn't have a CFe slot?

Jack
In case of R5, I suspect we will see mix of both SD and CFe slots rather than both CFe slots(if its prices in same range as 5D then certainly it wont 2 CFe). From the video its really interesting to see buffer clearing near instantly and best part of it being a Canon camera no lockouts during clearing process.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
My guess would be that it recognized the ball as a head with a helmet.
As it is a sports camera, it can as well be trained to recognise the ball as a ball, especially near the basket.

Why would Canon spend so much time and effort to get the LiveView Performance of a 1D X series body as great as possible?
It could be mostly reusing the same neural net that makes the OVF AF performance as great as possible.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As it is a sports camera, it can as well be trained to recognise the ball as a ball, especially near the basket.

It could be mostly reusing the same neural net that makes the OVF AF performance as great as possible.
I didn't read anything about recognizing objects like balls in the white paper though. That's why I'm not certain tracking the ball here is really a feature or a bug - but depending on who you ask, they might just be the same ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The problem with a Hoodman is that you lose access to the touchscreen, which is one of the main advantages to live view.
If you are using an EVF the only advantage to the rear screen being touch is if you can drag focus, the 1DX III doesn't need that capability on screen, and it would ba a stretch with a thumb anyway, because it has the new scrollable AF button.

I'm not saying a hoodman is an elegant solution, more a way to wean me into EVF's, or at least better come to terms with when their use can be advantageous.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Jack
The biggest difference I would expect between an R1 and R5 would be resolution.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I love how the camera momentarily locks onto the basketball a couple of times. I wonder if it's seeing a face in there or if the deep learning neural net has learned to recognize balls as pertinent objects in their own category.
No, it will 'mistake' a ball for a 'head' shaped object, don't forget we know it was taught to look for heads with helmets on, I don't see how you could differentiate between a helmeted head sitting in an open cockpit and a basketball.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
No, it will 'mistake' a ball for a 'head' shaped object, don't forget we know it was taught to look for heads with helmets on, I don't see how you could differentiate between a helmeted head sitting in an open cockpit and a basketball.
I know some people who might as well have a basketball for a head (empty space full of air), so maybe the camera is that smart.

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0