Affected with GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome

davet4 said:
I need help! Spring is in the air and I am coming down with GAS, I am spending to much time looking at lens reviews....how can I rid myself of this affliction?..? ;) ;)

You can't. Read the reviews, try out the gear in the store, and create a wishlist. Then wait until the holiday season when prices are the lowest, and then get most gear you want for the your money. ;D

Upvote 0
davet4 said:
I need help! Spring is in the air and I am coming down with GAS, I am spending to much time looking at lens reviews....how can I rid myself of this affliction?..? ;) ;)

Looking at the gear in your signature I think there's plenty of room for some indulgence. Enjoy!

BL said:
don't fight it, it only gets easier

pretty soon you'll accumulate enough red rings and white lenses to mask purchases from the wife as you continue to struggle with GAS.

LOL ;D

It gets worse when you decide you need a second camera system. For me that's the NEX but I've managed to keep GAS in that system down to some very affordable vintage lenses - and I limit myself to FD mount lenses too. As for the Canon system: a 5DMkIII, a 100 f/2.8 L IS USM and a 70-300L within two months, now that's big GAS :eek: :eek: :-\

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
davet4 said:

In all seriousness, do your best to avoid GASsy websites, particularly if you are concerned with unexpected GAS outbreaks.

If you are concerned with how others might perceive GAS, make no mention of it, as it likely will pass unnoticed.

If a member of the opposite sex (e.g. spouse or partner) takes notice and finds offense, admit fault and seek forgiveness. In time, a gradual increase in GAS may be overlooked, and can serve as a cover for the eventual, undisciplined, and often reckless manifestation of GAS.

Upvote 0
davet4 said:

Good. The first step is admitting to yourself that you have GAS.

The next step is to give in to it and let it take over your life. Resistance is futile!

;D

Enjoy your rapidly depleting bank account balance!!

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
davet4 said:

It sounds banal, but the best therapy for me is actually going to take pictures. Spend the money on a holiday, for example.

My worst GAS episodes are often related to very stressful periods at work.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
davet4 said:
Dude, are you nuts? ... it's like, you just came to a bar, full of the world's best drunkards, and asking for help on how to be sober ;D ... there is no cure for GAS ... just go spend the money and when the money is over, you will get temporary relief from GAS. ;D

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
davet4 said:

Stop visiting CR ... you may just end up believing that to get a half decent shot of a doorknob, you need a 5D3 and a 70-200 II ;D

Jokes aside, there is usually no way to resist. Once you've admitted GAS, I recommend getting only the "best" available gear. I've run through several lenses (24-105, 70-200 f/4, 100mm macro, etc.) and flashes (320 EX-II and 430EX-II) before getting better equipment which is considered future proof (for now).

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
davet4 said:
Dude, are you nuts? ... it's like, you just came to a bar, full of the world's best drunkards, and asking for help on how to be sober ;D ... there is no cure for GAS ... just go spend the money and when the money is over, you will get temporary relief from GAS. ;D

Hahahaha

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
Same boat here. ;D ;D I have severe GAS. Once I started into FF and L lenses it was over for me. You can see in my signature how much I have purchased since the launch of the 5d. That does not include the following I have bought and sold
70-200 F4IS
70-300L
24-105 F4
24-70 F4 IS
135mm F2
16-35 2.8 II
50mm 1.4

now I am looking to go on vacation and want to repurchase the 24-70 F4 and 70-300L for a lightweight kit. So I am spending $2500ish just for a trip. Again GAS. Yes I could rent but I like owning and using it whenever you want.

Also I agree about collecting enough lenses to mask the purchases. My wife would not know at this point which lens I added except maybe the 300-600mm super tele's. I want one of those but not going to be able to get away with a $6k lens.

Also looking toward Sigma's new 50mm and Canon's hopefully released 100-400mm.

Upvote 0