Affected with GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
tron said:
sagittariansrock said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Congratulations on the 2 new lenses ... may they serve you well ... now, let me help your GAS a little, mind you, I am not helping you, I am only adding fuel to your GAS ;D ... the 16-35 f/2.8 L IS is a very nice lens, its one of my most used lenses (more than the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II).

Why, I would like to have a 16-35 2.8 L IS too! GAS or no gas! :p
it is a very cheap lens for now. It does not exist ;D. I do not think stabilizer that much important at such a wide angle lens, so a very sharp across the frame 16-35 2.8L III lens with no coma would satisfy me :)
Oops ... my bad, I meant "II" ... but the second "I" became an "S" ... now that sounds like "I became an ass" :-[

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Roo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
growler said:
GAS has subsided now, and hopefully it won't return until at least December...
Until December? :eek: ... you have a very robust healing mechanism ;D ... coz I suffer from GAS almost every day ... wife says visiting CR is the cause, her educational background is Masters in Pharmacy, so I think I should believe her, even though I do not necessarily take her advise for GAS cure i.e. do not read CR ;D

LOL Rein :) My understanding is that pharmacists can advise but not prescribe;) If symptoms continue consult your doctor :D

To cure G.A.S, just ask Neuro for prescription. I did and I ended up with 400mm f2.8 IS II ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Roo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
growler said:
Until December? :eek: ... you have a very robust healing mechanism ;D ... coz I suffer from GAS almost every day ... wife says visiting CR is the cause, her educational background is Masters in Pharmacy, so I think I should believe her, even though I do not necessarily take her advise for GAS cure i.e. do not read CR ;D

LOL Rein :) My understanding is that pharmacists can advise but not prescribe;) If symptoms continue consult your doctor :D

To cure G.A.S, just ask Neuro for prescription. I did and I ended up with 400mm f2.8 IS II ;D
This is Neuro's prescription:
http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging
May God give peace to all those who have visited his gear list page ;D

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
Roo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
growler said:

This is Neuro's prescription:
http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging
May God give peace to all those who have visited his gear list page ;D

Good thing Neuro is a non-prescribing type of doctor.

Rienzphotoz said:
Oops ... my bad, I meant "II" ... but the second "I" became an "S" ... now that sounds like "I became an ass" :-[

This reminds me of something:
I saw these ads for a reality TV featuring Todd Chrisley, and it seemed he kept saying "I.S." It took me a while to understand what he was actually saying ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Oh do I have GAS. I am trying my hand at B & W analog after some 35 years - 4" x 5". So: I bought a cheap starter studio monorail camera and one lens from a local LF shooter. Now I am looking at 1. a used spot light meter 2. a lens wrench 3. a magnifying loupe for fine focus on the ground glass 4. a few additional film backs 5. one or two additional lenses with shutters and lens boards (you can get a good used lens with working shutter for 150 to 500 bucks) 6. film changing bag 7. darkroom trays, brown bottle, piece of glass for contact print making

Am I nuts, or what? Granted, the whole gemisch is less than a Sigma lens bought new. Still....

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
NancyP said:
Oh do I have GAS. I am trying my hand at B & W analog after some 35 years - 4" x 5". So: I bought a cheap starter studio monorail camera and one lens from a local LF shooter. Now I am looking at 1. a used spot light meter 2. a lens wrench 3. a magnifying loupe for fine focus on the ground glass 4. a few additional film backs 5. one or two additional lenses with shutters and lens boards (you can get a good used lens with working shutter for 150 to 500 bucks) 6. film changing bag 7. darkroom trays, brown bottle, piece of glass for contact print making

Am I nuts, or what? Granted, the whole gemisch is less than a Sigma lens bought new. Still....
Of course, you are nuts! ... but welcome and say hello to all the nuts who participated in this thread ;D ... you are among like minded nuts citizens here, so you should feel very comfortable sharing your GAS addiction ;D
Having said that, and going by the list of all the analog stuff you want, I think you should be classified as the most unique nut in this thread. :D
Cheers

Upvote 0
NancyP said:

Are you sure you don't need a Hasselblad or Bronica so you can do medium format film?! :D

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Nah. I want MOVEMENTS! Shift, shimmy, and tilt! I want to shoot landscapes with "infinite" depth of field (tilt), cliff faces (rise), local architecture (all sorts of movements). This is a bucket list thing. I might hate it after a year of putzing with it. I might be seriously hooked - a 30 x 40" print from a first-rate 4 x 5 color transparency is an awesome thing, and I have always liked analog B and W DIY.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
NancyP said:
Nah. I want MOVEMENTS! Shift, shimmy, and tilt! I want to shoot landscapes with "infinite" depth of field (tilt), cliff faces (rise), local architecture (all sorts of movements). This is a bucket list thing. I might hate it after a year of putzing with it. I might be seriously hooked - a 30 x 40" print from a first-rate 4 x 5 color transparency is an awesome thing, and I have always liked analog B and W DIY.

I say go for it!!

And share your results/experiences of course :D

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
I am having it now with an upcoming trip. Purchase the 70-300L to have a lighter zoom for trips. Started getting backdrops and working on making a room dedicated to studio work. Now looking at bags, memory cards and possibly the g1x mark ii. Maybe a lens if the sigma 50 art comes out.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
NancyP said:

That's how it starts, I've now got two 4x5 monorails (with 6x7, 6x9, 6x17, and 70mm roll-backs), an 8x10, two 4x5 Travelwides on their way, plus a whole bucketload of lenses, 65/90/135/180/270/465/600, and my latest (and oldest) addition, a 12"/21"/28" Turner Reich Triple Convertible uncoated Anastigmat. Hey, if it was good enough for Ansell Adams it's good enough for me (and this entire setup still costs less than a 5D3+lens kit).

But after a year or two of scanning film (epson v750), all I can say is, get an enlarger. But an 8x10 enlarger is huge, so all of my 4x5s, 6x17s and 8x10 are contact-printed with my 6x7 colour-head.
BTW, www.apug.org is where all of us film weirdos hang out, if you start there you'll really learn what GAS can be...

Upvote 0