AFMA'ed the 24-70 mk.ii ... not sure I am loving this copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFMA'ed the 24-70 mk.ii ... not sure I am loving it.

Viggo said:
Were there such issues with the first of the 70-200 mk2's also? And with 16-35 mk2 ? And if so, did they get better or did people just accept them?

The reason why I'm asking is if this is a 24-70 mk2 issue, it's pretty useless... this is a very expensive lens and not that fast and should be almost no sample variation... I'd be pretty upset I think...

I haven't heard that issue on 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2; not sure about 16-35mm MK2. However, I usually try to avoid buying new stuff in the first months when they are released.

Dylan777 said:
Ok guys...I need your thoughts on this. I setup the camera and lens on tripod. Shot it at f2.8 Ave mode - LiveView

Return it or keep it?

For me the left side vignetting is heavier. Was this under natural light?

Upvote 0

K-amps said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
K-amps said:
I think I am fine with center sharpness... however the corners are a bit worrisome... especially at 24 mm... this is supposedly the best 24mm canon has at corners... should I be concerned? I know I shot the "wall" but it is straight and plane ;D

I am attaching resized (to fit CR) non cropped frames of both 70mm and 24mm... let me know your thoughts.

(I know there is vignetting and noise in the corners... but it is lack of resolution that concerns me)

What aperture? Perfect corners other than stopped down are hard to get at 24mm from any lens.
How far to the wall?

I shot wide open, f2.8 about 18inches from the wall.

Neuro... I seldom use lens hoods... (another topic ;) )

24mm, f/2.8, more or less MFD is kind of a harsh test!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

cliffwang said:
Viggo said:
Were there such issues with the first of the 70-200 mk2's also? And with 16-35 mk2 ? And if so, did they get better or did people just accept them?

The reason why I'm asking is if this is a 24-70 mk2 issue, it's pretty useless... this is a very expensive lens and not that fast and should be almost no sample variation... I'd be pretty upset I think...

I haven't heard that issue on 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2; not sure about 16-35mm MK2. However, I usually try to avoid buying new stuff in the first months when they are released.

Dylan777 said:
Ok guys...I need your thoughts on this. I setup the camera and lens on tripod. Shot it at f2.8 Ave mode - LiveView

Return it or keep it?

For me the left side vignetting is heavier. Was this under natural light?

Yes...outdoor. In a sunny day in california

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
K-amps said:
Dylan:

I think your vignetting looks same for both sides... the earlier shot was indoors and lighting can affect those results. This looks fine to me.

K-AMP, I just spoke to CrutchField Customer Service. They are out of stock, but will replace me with another lens. While waiting for the new lens, I get to keep my current. I'm very HAPPY with Crutchfield Service.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:
Dylan:

I think your vignetting looks same for both sides... the earlier shot was indoors and lighting can affect those results. This looks fine to me.

K-AMP, I just spoke to CrutchField Customer Service. They are out of stock, but will replace me with another lens. While waiting for the new lens, I get to keep my current. I'm very HAPPY with Crutchfield Service.

Glad you got good service form them. The local store I got mine form is kind of the only large store here... my sales person sort of gets edgy when I tell him I didnt like the lens for one reason or the other... he gets defensive and his smile goes upside-down... make me uncomfortable... How should I tell him that I am returning this after I returned the Tamron 24-70 due to bad AF... ::)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
K-amps said:
Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:
Dylan:

Glad you got good service form them. The local store I got mine form is kind of the only large store here... my sales person sort of gets edgy when I tell him I didnt like the lens for one reason or the other... he gets defensive and his smile goes upside-down... make me uncomfortable... How should I tell him that I am returning this after I returned the Tamron 24-70 due to bad AF... ::)

I'm not sure where you got your lens. Here in the US, if the lens doesn't work right, I simply ask for refund or exchange --- within store return policy of course.

For the sale person - I don't really care how he/she feels about me my return. Bottom line is, you are the CUSTOMER(BUYER) and this is NOT a couple hundred dollars lens. Show him the picture that you took.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
I'm not sure where you got your lens. Here in the US, if the lens doesn't work right, I simply ask for refund or exchange --- within store return policy of course.

For the sale person - I don't really care how he/she feels about me my return. Bottom line is, you are the CUSTOMER(BUYER) and this is NOT a couple hundred dollars lens. Show him the picture that you took.

They'll probably take it back... just that the look they give yousometimes makes you feel like you are the bad guy....

Upvote 0
K-amps said:

Have you tried Amazon? I have Amazon Prime, so Amazon provides free shipping for return without any question. If you don't like an item, just return. So far, I have returned couple lenses on Amazon. No question, no argument, and fast process(in one minute to get return label). The bad thing is Amazon charge tax in CA now.

Upvote 0
cliffwang said:
K-amps said:

Have you tried Amazon? I have Amazon Prime, so Amazon provides free shipping for return without any question. If you don't like an item, just return. So far, I have returned couple lenses on Amazon. No question, no argument, and fast process(in one minute to get return label). The bad thing is Amazon charge tax in CA now.

How do you like your Tamrom 24-70?

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
Dylan777 said:

They'll probably take it back... just that the look they give yousometimes makes you feel like you are the bad guy....

What do pics taken outdoors at more normal distances look like? Like my samples above? Sharper? Less sharp?
Despite the copy variation, my early tentative feeling is that all the copies I've seen are nonetheless the best overall standard zoom I've seen.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
cliffwang said:
K-amps said:

Compare to my old Canon 24-70mm MK1, I love this lens a lot. It's sharper, and the VC is super impressed. I have couple photos taking in high ISO and about 1/8 seconds for parties. They looks still good.
However, the AF speed is not as good as Canon 24-70mm MK1. Since AF is not so critical, Tamron 24-70mm is good for me. I still don't get why Canon has no IS for it MK2. Otherwise, I am willing pay 2.3K for it.

Upvote 0
cliffwang said:
K-amps said:
cliffwang said:
K-amps said:

Compare to my old Canon 24-70mm MK1, I love this lens a lot. It's sharper, and the VC is super impressed. I have couple photos taking in high ISO and about 1/8 seconds for parties. They looks still good.
However, the AF speed is not as good as Canon 24-70mm MK1. Since AF is not so critical, Tamron 24-70mm is good for me. I still don't get why Canon has no IS for it MK2. Otherwise, I am willing pay 2.3K for it.

I tried a copy of the Tammy.... the AF was spotty, even though the optics (i.e. MF) were sharp. After all the hype on the 24-70 mk.ii, I am a bit disappointed.... this is NO 70-200 mk.ii class zoom.

Upvote 0
Thanks for link, very helpful.

I just returned it over lunch... a bit relieved. I will wait a bit till I bite again on it. For now the 17-40 works for WA, albeit F8ish and the 70-200 mk.ii is a God send... I will play with those... but I am missing a Big aperture prime. 50mm perhaps. I want something sharp and dreamy... would Ziggy f1.4 fit the bill?

Upvote 0
K-amps said:

I just returned it over lunch... a bit relieved. I will wait a bit till I bite again on it. For now the 17-40 works for WA, albeit F8ish and the 70-200 mk.ii is a God send... I will play with those... but I am missing a Big aperture prime. 50mm perhaps. I want something sharp and dreamy... would Ziggy f1.4 fit the bill?

honestly if you dont have the shorty forty then try that, its sharper across the frame than the 24-70 mk1 wide open, bokeh is very very similar to that from the 70-200 mk2 I have the siggy 50mm (the new one) its also good
probably not as good as the siggy 85 though (but better than the canon 50s) i'm waiting for the siggy 35 to come out and see how that goes, i'm hoping its up the standard of the 85. but for the money if you want sharp and nice bokeh at f2.8 the 40mm pancake is pretty hard to beat at the moment

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
honestly if you dont have the shorty forty then try that, its sharper across the frame than the 24-70 mk1 wide open, bokeh is very very similar to that from the 70-200 mk2 I have the siggy 50mm (the new one) its also good
probably not as good as the siggy 85 though (but better than the canon 50s) i'm waiting for the siggy 35 to come out and see how that goes, i'm hoping its up the standard of the 85. but for the money if you want sharp and nice bokeh at f2.8 the 40mm pancake is pretty hard to beat at the moment

I am also looking forward the Sigma 35mm. If the IQ good and price, it will be my another collection from Sigma.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
K-amps said:

K-AMP, I did more test shots(indoor & outdoor at 24mm), my lens seems to be ok. All shots @ 24mm have little vignetting, other then that, the lens looks very sharp. I will compare my current lens to new lens that Crutchfield going to send me. I'll keep the better copy at the end.

I might pull a trigger on 50L this coming x-mas through Crutchfield, since I have little more than 10,000 reward points with them($500ish cash value). Hoping Canon will have SUPER rebate on all lenses through holidays.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:

K-Amps
I just got an 85LII, i paid 1G more than the sigma 85 because the results in my test shots were showing the Sigma going crazy on Purple Fringing around black text. I do know from my previous 85LI that chroma, purple are the nature of the beast so i realize when shooting chrome i don't want to shoot to the right as much as i might. I also might not use it when i have heavily backlit subjects or with brightly lit trees in the background but i have yet to put that to the test as i just got it. I just know the 70-200LII will handle those situations with ease. Basically I will prob shoot a little diff when using the 85 to bring out the dreamy goods! I wish we could shoot 1/16,000 sec. Also when shooting a static person at F1.4 the face had some in some out of focus yet @ F1.2 the canon 85 rendered the whole face sharply. This was a 3/4 length shot as you think about distance from subject. Also when around the store i shot various subjects and repeating patterns and the 1.2 was consistently focused on the same spot @ F1.2. This may be that the siggy was out of calibration but it was close if it was. I preferred the color balance of the 1.2 over the 1.4 Sig. I cannot comment on the sigma 50, i have no experience with that one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.