AI Servo for BIF - Best Performing Canon Cameras?

Oct 16, 2010
In regards to AI Servo mode for birds in flight, is there a generally agreed consensus on the ranking of Canon cameras. How would you list the top 5 of all time? Am I right in thinking: -

1. 1DX2
2. 1DX
3. 5D3
4. 7D2
5. 80D

I'm just curious about which cameras are going to acquire accurate focus the fastest and continue to keep tracking accurately. Are the newer cameras a class above the older cameras such as the 7D, 1D3?

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
You'd be putting the 7DII ahead of the 5DIII. I have both cameras so have a solid idea of the better AI servo AF performer. Also, I've just retired a 1D MkIV. If I had to rank it, it would place in-between the 7DII and the 5DIII. The percentage of keepers shooting fast moving action with AI Servo is a clear win to the 7DII over the 1D MkIV. The 1DMkIV is no slouch...just that the 7DII outperforms it in AI Servo AF.

If you're talking IQ and high iso performance, the 1D MkIV ranks ahead of the 7DII, unsurprising given its larger APS-H sensor.

The AF performance and accuracy of the 1D MkIII was a public relations disaster for Canon...it's a camera most action shooters would prefer to forget. A friend bought a pair of them and they came close to ruining his business.
Mid-life firmware upgrades made for a big improvement, but the damage was well and truly done from a reputation viewpoint.

It was a close thing but I fortunately skipped the 1D MkIII, continuing with the previous 1D MkIIn which I ran close to a million clicks on the original shutter. Amazing camera. There's a woman up the coast who still shoots surf with it. It had fabulous tracking AF in it's day. It's too long ago now to recall how it would rank on OP's list.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I think you have it about right. There is discussion about 7D2 vs 5D3 - I own the 7D2 and my take on the discussion is that the 7D2 wins out in good light especially with iTR helping track the subject. The 5D3 wins out regards the accuracy and consistency of focus but by how much is another thing open to question. And the 5D3 has better image quality in lower light levels.

One often overlooked aspect is that the subject is larger in the viewfinder on the 7D2 and this can make it easier to keep the focus point on the subject.

I don't think there is any real world difference on speed of focus.

Even after owning the 7D2 for a year and following many such discussions I still, hand on heart, cannot say whether I should have gone for the 5D3.

Upvote 0