Alien Skin special.

I got the free 2-week sample of the Alien Skin and after two hours of fooling around I decided to buy it with Sue Bryce's special code that takes 30 per cent off the price. It is one cool software if your goal is to flash your less informed friends with your PP skills.

At less than a hundred bucks, a bargain.
Great fun!

This is my friend Morgane after I put her in a Time Machine. In fact I should have climbed in there myself with my arthritis and my wrinkles...

11001798_441293286026535_3075465136341921603_n.jpg

Thank you fo the link. That would be another way, yes, but with the Alien Skin I had finished my masterpiece even before the YouTube guy (why do they all have to scream) had even said hello. In Alien Skin , you are not stuck with the result the 'skin' of your choice gives out of the box. You can tweak it as you could with Lightroom, except you do not have the 'local' tools like the brush or the gradual tools.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
martti said:
Thank you fo the link. That would be another way, yes, but with the Alien Skin I had finished my masterpiece even before the YouTube guy (why do they all have to scream) had even said hello. In Alien Skin , you are not stuck with the result the 'skin' of your choice gives out of the box. You can tweak it as you could with Lightroom, except you do not have the 'local' tools like the brush or the gradual tools.

Ah there in lies our different ideas, I would say your version was Alien Skins 'masterpiece', you paid your money and pushed the button and if you are feeling really 'creative' you might push a slider or two as well. Whereas to me there is no cleverness, skill, understanding or intent in that, but whatever floats your boat, just don't ask questions like "but how else would I get this kind of picture of her?" on a photography forum unless you want an actual answer!

Upvote 0
Why such a negative answer?
I asked a question "how would I..." and you answered by posting a detailed answer on a Youtube video.
I thanked you and explained why I preferred the Alien Skin method. If 'masterpiece' did not ring any bells on your irony detector, I promise to add a smiley next time.

Most certainly I did not want to provoke your ire. I am sorry if something I said offended you.
One point more: I do not think that the amount of sweat gone into a work of art (or a pair of shoes) reflects in any way in the actual quality of the end product.

:) here's the smiley I forgot.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
So, what is Alien Skin good for? I have the Nik plugins and Photomatix, but it's been years since I really invested in plugins. Photoshop and Lightroom have improved so much over the years that the time saved with plugins has decreased a lot.

Is Alien Skin similar to Nik?

I don't really have any interest in simulating an aged photo, but it looks like it does more than just that.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Again, our differences are highlighted, I didn't consider my comment as negative. Factual, straightforwards, to the point, blunt, unemotional etc etc, but not negative. I didn't cast judgement on you or your image, I did say that it isn't something I see as particularly clever.

I am not angry and you have not offended me, I hope I haven't upset or offended you either.

I agree with your final point to a degree, I would counter that by pointing out buying a plugin and pushing a button and a slider or two doesn't make anything art, or a pair of shoes, either. It isn't about the sweat, it is about the end result being what you envisioned, if your vision stretches as far as a plugin then all is well and good. My link was meant as a gentle push to creativity, if that is not for you then fine, I am sorry my point was missed on you.

Upvote 0
The aged photo was supposed to be funny.

There is a two week free trial that would tell you more than I verbally can.
What you get is very much like Lightroom. You manipulate the pictures without affecting the original.
Like in Lightroom, you get Presets, hundreds of them. You get Cinema looks, print and slide film looks in color and in BW. I am now testing the Polaroid looks and the air they have makes me nostalgic.

You can tune in as much of the preset as you like, after which you have the complete control of the color balance, curves, contrast, grain, different surface and frame choices etc. It is pretty much like Lightroom except it does not have the local tools. I do not think it sends you pictures to Facebook or Flickr either. You can export the format you like.

It couples with Lightroom and with Photoshop so that you can do your library in LR, spot the pimples, do the skin or whatever with they eyes etc. in Photoshop after which you create the air in Alien Skin.

The picture of the serious little girl I used the Polachrome High contrast skin at 50% and took down the grain.
The original was shot with the 85mm L at 2.8, skin, eyes and hair a quick tour in Photoshop, then to Alien Skin, then final crop, lightness and contrast in Lightroom to please my Facebook friends.

The joy with the Alien Skin is how fast, easy and versatile it is. It might not be for you. In two weeks you'll know.

Upvote 0