All is Quiet, but the Good Stuff is Coming

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Now that NAB is over (did anyone notice it was on?), we can get back to what’s coming next. Unfortunately we don’t really have too much new to report at this time. We know that’s going to be changing soon as this summer (northern hemisphere) should be a good one for a lot of Canon shooters.</p>
<p>We expect the EOS 6D Mark II, EF 85mm f/1.4L IS and EOS Rebel SL2 to be announced before September hits.</p>
<p>On the cinema side, we expect the Cinema EOS C200 body, a 4K little brother to the EOS C300 Mark II. We haven’t confirmed the name “EOS C200” yet, but all signs are pointing that way. We hope to confirm this soon.</p>
<p>We don’t know for certain what other EF lenses are coming in 2017 at this time, but we expect there will be at least one more after the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS.</p>
<p>We haven’t heard anything about new G series PowerShot cameras, but suspect there will be at least one coming before the end of the year.</p>
<p>We’re just reminding you of what’s coming as we continue to get questions from some very eager EOS 6D Mark II potential buyers.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

This year is going to be a welcome upgrade year for me. My current setup for international travel is 2 5D Mark IVs with 2 6Ds. I'm looking forward to selling off the two high milage 6Ds to replace with 2 6D Mark IIs.

If the build quality, focusing speed and sharpness of the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is anything like the 35 f/1.4L II, then I'll be getting one to replace the 85 f/1.2L II. For the type of work I do with traveling around the globe, I'm more interested in a lens that'll fire accurately when I need it to, take a beating, yet still allow me to produce beautiful imagery. I'm not going to get hung up on some barely discernible abstract psychological peculiarity that tethers me to f/1.2.

Bring it.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2016
This is hilarious! I wonder If Canon hears what competitors are doing. I just realize that form the video perspective, Magic Lantern did the marketing for 5D Mark II, 7D and so on. So Canon's performance is not about Canon was listening it's users... is just about hackers that where listening Canon's clients. :( Sony launched α7, α7R, α7S, α7II, α7RII, α7SII from 16 October 2013 to 11 September 2015. I mean, in two years they had so much improvement that makes Canon fade away. Canon launched a video camera XC10 (April 2015), one year later (September 2016) they released XC15... both had CFast cards for 4K recording. One month later I read an article that CFast cards are dumped: http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...

CANON, WE CAN... BUT WE WON'T!

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
olix said:
This is hilarious! I wonder If Canon hears what competitors are doing. I just realize that form the video perspective, Magic Lantern did the marketing for 5D Mark II, 7D and so on. So Canon's performance is not about Canon was listening it's users... is just about hackers that where listening Canon's clients. :( Sony launched α7, α7R, α7S, α7II, α7RII, α7SII from 16 October 2013 to 11 September 2015. I mean, in two years they had so much improvement that makes Canon fade away. Canon launched a video camera XC10 (April 2015), one year later (September 2016) they released XC15... both had CFast cards for 4K recording. One month later I read an article that CFast cards are dumped: http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...

What are you waiting for? Go and get a Sony. Buying a Sony is easy, living with it is hard...

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Chaitanya said:
If that C200 is just a 5D mk 4 with better codecs, 4k oriented sensor, and faster memory cards then it might sell well. I am looking forward to 6D mk2 and Sl2. Might choose between those two bodies depending much I can recover from selling my used cameras.

I sure hope that's what this C200 is. All they need to do is come out with a 5DC with those specs and charge $5k for it. Oh, and please add peaking because...it's 2017.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
vscd said:
olix said:

What are you waiting for? Go and get a Sony. Buying a Sony is easy, living with it is hard...

Amen to that!

Upvote 0
olix said:

Based on this article, the best-selling high-speed card is already doomed, just as Canon has been doomed for many years ... But a new card format that does not yet exist in any camera, would already have won the war.

After all, Sony is a world leader in cameras and lenses, just as Betamax won the market just for him, right? ???

Upvote 0
I think the delay of the 6DII was forseeable. If it will be an at least little upgrade compared to the original 6d it will be feature wise compareable to the 5dIII. As the 6d was to 5dII.

For the stills only crowed the only main benefits of the expensive 5d4 are
-better weathersealing
-ergonomics
-higher Framerate.

The 5d4 is currently 3500€ in Germany incl. taxes. If they want to release the 6dII at, I say, 2300€, there will be huge canibalising effects.

Right now, I can see Canon geting as much out of the 5d4 as possible. And I predict substancial Cashback-Programs once the 6d is out. I think the delay of the 6d2 indicates a camera which is very competable with the 5dIV.

Upvote 0
jebrady03 said:
I literally have a stack of cash waiting for the 85mm f/1.4L IS. Seriously Canon, take my money...

Same here.

I had two lenses in the "purchase" column for 2017: the TS-E 17mm and this new 85mm. The tilt-shift came in last week, and the 85mm will hopefully be there some time this summer.

Of course I'm still anxiously waiting to know if it will have the BR magic goo ... ???

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
olix said:
I read an article that CFast cards are dumped: http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/ Oh, Canon...

The CF cards standards mirror the main disk technology available on computers (CF - IDE, CFast - SATA, CFExpress - NVMe), which greatly simplify interoperability, you don't need specific drivers to support a different protocol (which also makes car reader simpler, less expensive, and well supported).

Remember that CF cards, like SD, are not used only in (video)cameras, there are a lot of devices that use them, and especially boot from them (something camera don't), thereby a standard, broadly supported protocol by any OS is welcome.

XQD looks to be more a "camera only format" - let's see if it will survive or not, and if a niche market, what the prices will be.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
XQD looks to be more a "camera only format" - let's see if it will survive or not, and if a niche market, what the prices will be.

Sony embraced it, which is pretty much the kiss of death for any storage medium. It is based on a real standard and not Sony propitiatory though, so who knows.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
LDS said:

Sony embraced it, which is pretty much the kiss of death for any storage medium. It is based on a real standard and not Sony propitiatory though, so who knows.

Scratch that...

It's been out since 2012, only Sony and Lexar make cards, and the format has been superseded by CFExpress? It's dead Jim.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
bvukich said:
LDS said:

Scratch that...

It's been out since 2012, only Sony and Lexar make cards, and the format has been superseded by CFExpress? It's dead Jim.
XQD Version 2 is based on PCI Express 3.0 and CFExpress is based on PCI Express 3.0? Convergence, I suspect XQD will die or get a card converter.

Or exist in only very compact cameras in CFExpress does not fit. Personally I think that we could perhaps move away from cards all together and put a tray with a slot for a M.2 drive in the camera.

Upvote 0