All of a sudden I'm seeing clickbait here

Mar 25, 2011
I've been sending CR Guy info about each offensive ad. He can usually turn them off as they are identified.

I noticed they only showed up with the Chrome browser, but not with Firefox. I removed them last night from Chrome with ad block plusand have not seen them back. I think he has caught the first batch. I have lots of B&H ads which is fine, I buy from them regularly.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I've been sending CR Guy info about each offensive ad. He can usually turn them off as they are identified.

I noticed they only showed up with the Chrome browser, but not with Firefox. I removed them last night from Chrome with ad block plusand have not seen them back. I think he has caught the first batch. I have lots of B&H ads which is fine, I buy from them regularly.

Well sure, B&H is different, it's not clickbait. Why the Queen is mad about whatsherbiscuits boobs or HRC's newest wrinkles is clickbait.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Click said:
brad-man said:
The clickbait is now back and it seems to greatly slow down the loading of the CR home page. Navigating within the site is the same, but the "forum" page is loading very slowly. I am using Chrome.

+1

I have the same problem.

Don't bait click.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
Click said:
brad-man said:
The clickbait is now back and it seems to greatly slow down the loading of the CR home page. Navigating within the site is the same, but the "forum" page is loading very slowly. I am using Chrome.

+1

I have the same problem.

Don't bait click.

;)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
CR Backup Admin said:
You are probably seeing advertising based on sites you have visited.

As I understand it, a update was made to the forum software that breaks ad blockers. Thats all I know.

I hate to break it to you but unless you have ads running in HTML I won't see any.

This is just using an iPad with Javascript turned off. I have no ad blocking software beyond the Safari default option to disable popups.
99.999% of my browsing is done with javascript disabled.

Only about 1 in 100 sites actually bother to serve ads to people like me.

I should thank Canon Rumors management for keeping the site reasonably clean, I remember one time when advertisement links started showing up in user written text and I complained about it, a few days later those ads were gone.
I am grateful for the respect shown to users here.

Upvote 0
I have all kinds of crap popping up when I browse on my phone using Dolphin. There is something on the bottom of the screen that keeps popping up when I scroll up, clicking on the "X" makes it open- must be a fake "X".

Home page loading can be extremely slow on the phone.

On my regular computer, I just get one banner ad, which isn't a big deal.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
danski0224 said:
I have all kinds of crap popping up when I browse on my phone using Dolphin. There is something on the bottom of the screen that keeps popping up when I scroll up, clicking on the "X" makes it open- must be a fake "X".

Home page loading can be extremely slow on the phone.

On my regular computer, I just get one banner ad, which isn't a big deal.

I just checked the popup you're talking about. you may have an issue with Dolphin. I have tested the "X" in Safari on iPhone and Chrome on Android and it closed the ad.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I just checked the popup you're talking about. you may have an issue with Dolphin. I have tested the "X" in Safari on iPhone and Chrome on Android and it closed the ad.

Certainly possible. I tried with a stylus, and I couldn't close it.

Using Firefox on my phone, the home screen takes a very long time to load. The ad at the bottom of the screen opened up and the rest of the site did not. The "X" closed the ad. Using Firefox, the site looks the same as my PC, while Dolphin reformats the layout, and I typically prefer the reformatted layout on the phone.

Same slow loading when using the included Samsung internet browser. I was able to close the ad with the X. Formatting (mobile default) is nicer than Firefox.

Same loading issues with Chrome. I was able to go to another site long before CR opened in another tab. It's been well over 2 minutes, and I'm giving up with Chrome.

I'm running stock Android 5.0 on a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3.

The home screen also takes longer to load up on my PC at home. Other sites will load up faster.

The ad stuff has definitely impacted site performance in a negative way. My home internet is kinda sucky, but the phone usually works very well.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
pwp said:
I'm used to seeing CR load pretty much instantly. Since these ClickBaits have been intruding, load time has stretched out to as long as 30 seconds.

This is Win 10 Firefox + very fast connection. The sum effect is to visit CR far less often.

-pw

Same here with Win 10/Chrome. I hope this gets sorted out soon. I'll be visiting much less as well...

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
pwp said:
I'm used to seeing CR load pretty much instantly. Since these ClickBaits have been intruding, load time has stretched out to as long as 30 seconds.

This is Win 10 Firefox + very fast connection. The sum effect is to visit CR far less often.

-pw

Yikes! It's not just a Windows thing. The same 30+seconds homepage load is happening on my brand new MBP Sierra +Firefox. Grrr. You need to get onto this CR Guy....

-pw

Upvote 0