Alternative to YN-622C for AF Assist

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
At evening events my 1D MkIV is pretty hopeless when it comes to low light AF. The AF assist performance on the 600EX-RT is modest to say the least when used with the 70-200 f/2.8isII. It needed some help...

So my two Yongnuo YN-622C have been my go-to accessory for AF Assist for the past few years (2012). With time they have become a bit knocked around and recently erratic. Batteries are charged, all terminals are clean and factory reset performed OFTEN. Anyone with YN-622C's will know the pattern thrown by the AF Assist is pretty weird, but it's been the best we've got.

Is there an updated alternative to the YN-622C? All I use it for is for AF Assist, when I need triggers I use the amazing Phottix Odins. The YN-622C pass-through design is what makes it so useful to me as I sit the 600 EX-RT on top of it. Yongnuo does make a standalone hotshoe-mount AF Assist http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn12af-af-assistant/ but it's not a pass-through design.

A web search has not come up with a newer alternative to the YN-622C, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll just get a couple more YN-622C's.

-pw