Amazing new ML firmware for the 5D3! Clean HDMI [DOESN'T WORK!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Amazing new ML firmware for the 5D3! Clean HDMI, zoom box during recording, etc.

That's a good question. I'd be interested too.

I wonder how many visitors to this site are focused on video. I know there are other video-centric sites for Canon users. I am interested in video but I am far more interested in stills. I'm not sure I've even tried to shoot video on my 6 month old 5D3.

Upvote 0
Re: Amazing new ML firmware for the 5D3! Clean HDMI, zoom box during recording, etc.

I've been progressively shooting video with DSLRs more often these days. This weekend I was asked to shoot video of performances an arts festival/showcase. There were musicians, dancers and a choir all on stage under manageable, but uneven lighting. If the performer stayed put in one spot, it wasn't bad, but any movement was a mess. Trying to pan, zoom and keep focus locked (all manually of course) really requires 3 hands. I also didn't have an external monitor attached, so determining focus was rather hard to do. I went into it expecting it to be a chore to shoot, but it was worse than I expected and this was with a 1DX. As a result, I have lost all desire to shoot video with the DSLR unless it's a static subject. The zoom box during recording is a VERY useful feature because you can confirm focus. The gradual transition of setting changes (aperture/shutter/ISO) is also a great feature. I might try the full version of ML on my 5D2, but it's still going to be rough to pull off decent videos of moving subjects. I think I might give up on the DSLR platform for video and invest in a reasonably priced pro camcorder.

Upvote 0

t.linn said:
That's a good question. I'd be interested too.

I wonder how many visitors to this site are focused on video. I know there are other video-centric sites for Canon users. I am interested in video but I am far more interested in stills. I'm not sure I've even tried to shoot video on my 6 month old 5D3.

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=4931

Ninja 2 sounds promising

Upvote 0

LetTheRightLensIn said:
So what sort of portable recorders are people using? I've heard that some very small, high quality and not too crazy priced ones have been released over the last year but don't know any of the details.

I got one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tascam-DR-40-Handheld-4-Track-Portable-Recorder-New-International-Shipping-/220882989533?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Multi_Track_Recorders&hash=item336da6f1dd

and I got a couple of rode NTG mics

seems pretty decent with lots of features

Upvote 0

wickidwombat said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
So what sort of portable recorders are people using? I've heard that some very small, high quality and not too crazy priced ones have been released over the last year but don't know any of the details.

I got one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tascam-DR-40-Handheld-4-Track-Portable-Recorder-New-International-Shipping-/220882989533?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Multi_Track_Recorders&hash=item336da6f1dd

and I got a couple of rode NTG mics

seems pretty decent with lots of features

I actually mean to record the clean HDMI out video. I wasn't talking audio, but yeah I have seen people use that for audio.

Upvote 0

LetTheRightLensIn said:
I actually mean to record the clean HDMI out video. I wasn't talking audio, but yeah I have seen people use that for audio.

I've been tempted to try the BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841023-REG/Blackmagic_Design_HYPERD_PT2_HyperDeck_Shuttle_2_SSD.html

For about $500, you can get that, plus a 256 GB SSD. My only concern is that the HDMI out of the 5D (and other Canon DSLRs) is 60i. If anyone here can tell me whether the 24p can be recovered fairly easily, I'd appreciate it.

Upvote 0

JasonATL said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

I've been tempted to try the BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841023-REG/Blackmagic_Design_HYPERD_PT2_HyperDeck_Shuttle_2_SSD.html

For about $500, you can get that, plus a 256 GB SSD. My only concern is that the HDMI out of the 5D (and other Canon DSLRs) is 60i. If anyone here can tell me whether the 24p can be recovered fairly easily, I'd appreciate it.

I saw that, but I'm worried about how to monitor things. They say there is no way to be sure it actually recorded and stuff was working until you check the footage later on and what if the camera LCD goes blank during recording? I fear it might end up more expensive in the end. I think it might also be much larger.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012

LetTheRightLensIn said:
JasonATL said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

I saw that, but I'm worried about how to monitor things. They say there is no way to be sure it actually recorded and stuff was working until you check the footage later on and what if the camera LCD goes blank during recording? I fear it might end up more expensive in the end. I think it might also be much larger.

Camera - HDMI into - Z-finder evf (or similar monitoring device with an HDMI out port) - HDMI out into Hyperdeck?

Or does the z-finder evf downconvert the hdmi signal?

If so maybe just go with the Ninja 2

Upvote 0

syder said:
Camera - HDMI into - Z-finder evf (or similar monitoring device with an HDMI out port) - HDMI out into Hyperdeck?

The HyperDeck Shuttle has an HDMI loop-through. So you could go:
Camera - HDMI into HyperDeck - HDMI out of Hyperdeck to Monitor (Z-finder evf)

A suitably speedy SSD should avoid a dropped-frame problem. The Hyperdeck has green and red lights to indicate power, recording, and battery. It would be nice if it had a warning light if frames are dropped (the BMCC has this feature).

Upvote 0

JasonATL said:
syder said:

The HyperDeck Shuttle has an HDMI loop-through. So you could go:
Camera - HDMI into HyperDeck - HDMI out of Hyperdeck to Monitor (Z-finder evf)

A suitably speedy SSD should avoid a dropped-frame problem. The Hyperdeck has green and red lights to indicate power, recording, and battery. It would be nice if it had a warning light if frames are dropped (the BMCC has this feature).

That seems kind of bulky, hyperdeck is larger to begin with and then you also need the z-finder, if you want to bring it on hikes into the woods and stuff it gets to be a pain I'd fear compard to a tiny little ninja and you are done?

Upvote 0

do you record uncompressed hdmi output video signal (which bring HUGE gb/hr video file) from the event/wedding??
how long do it take to encode it into DVD? i cant dare to imagine cuz it's already taking me too much time to encode it. and i only recorded it at high-compression 1080p 30fps from 5d3? I believe that's 25mbps.

Upvote 0

vuilang said:
do you record uncompressed hdmi output video signal (which bring HUGE gb/hr video file) from the event/wedding??
how long do it take to encode it into DVD? i cant dare to imagine cuz it's already taking me too much time to encode it. and i only recorded it at high-compression 1080p 30fps from 5d3? I believe that's 25mbps.

With the Hyperdeck you can record full uncompressed but it is like a 1.5TB drive for just two hours of footage or something ;D.

They also have compressed modes (rates up to 220mbps).

Upvote 0

LetTheRightLensIn said:
vuilang said:

With the Hyperdeck you can record full uncompressed but it is like a 1.5TB drive for just two hours of footage or something ;D.

~1.5tb for 2hrs??? so, What is the "real usage" of uncompressed HDMI?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012

vuilang said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
vuilang said:

Uncompressed imo isn't very useful. You don't need that much data for 99.9% of jobs.

On the other hand being able to go from recording h264 encoded QTs which are 8 bit 4:2:0 at 90mb/s (all-i) to DNxHD/ProRes (ie the native codecs used by Avid/FCP) 10 bit 4:2:2 at 220mb/s means you're retaining far more colour information within your image, definitely meaning that you have a lot more leeway to perform deep grades on your footage. It'll be interesting to see what a 10 bit HDMI out image from the 5dmiii looks like given the various criticisms the h264 footage has seen - we'll find out if some of the apparent lack of resolution is a codec issue.

Working directly in DNxHD/ProRes is also a big workflow improvement, and means you can have more RT video tracks and RT effects on fast computers, and means no more having to transcode your footage before editing on slower machines.

Upvote 0

vuilang said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
vuilang said:

For most people to record it in ProRes or something and to not use the uncompressed recording option ;D.
I suppose a very few might have the capacity to deal with full uncompressed and to maintain the max signal and have the final edit be the first time compression is applied.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.