Amazon Accidentally Sold $13,000+ Camera Gear for $100 on Prime Day

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Did anyone here get in on the Amazon Prime cay camera equipment "glitch'?
Amazon Accidentally Sold $13,000+ Camera Gear for $100 on Prime Day

Man...the best one looked to be the Canon EF 800 5.6 lens for $94.....and some of the 'R' cameras going dirty cheap.

It was either last year to the year before I scored on a prime day glitch, for a DJI drone bundle for a VERY low price. So, I know it happens.

So, I guess it pays to just search for things YOU want, that aren't necessarily on the Prime ad page...and you might catch a glitch.

I'll be looking more carefully next year.

Cayenne

JP Davis

EOS R5, EOS R
Jul 19, 2019
I got in on it. Didn't even realize it was prime day at first. I was just up late, a few minutes after 3am I happened to check Amazon for the price of an RF 35mm f1.8, saw the Prime day discount and instantly grabbed one. I went back a few minutes later and grabbed two more. I think if it wasn't for the late hour I'd have had the presence of mind to look at some other items too, but by the time I came in from my office to tell my wife about it, maybe 30 minutes later it was gone already.

I've got a nice new RF 35mm for my EOS R, and the other two went up on ebay as soon as they arrived.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I got in on it. Didn't even realize it was prime day at first. I was just up late, a few minutes after 3am I happened to check Amazon for the price of an RF 35mm f1.8, saw the Prime day discount and instantly grabbed one. I went back a few minutes later and grabbed two more. I think if it wasn't for the late hour I'd have had the presence of mind to look at some other items too, but by the time I came in from my office to tell my wife about it, maybe 30 minutes later it was gone already.

I've got a nice new RF 35mm for my EOS R, and the other two went up on ebay as soon as they arrived.

Would you mind if I asked the price you got on them? Was the the $94 glitch price?

From what I've heard around, Amazon is shipping and honoring all the glitch purchases....

C

Upvote 0

JP Davis

EOS R5, EOS R
Jul 19, 2019
Would you mind if I asked the price you got on them? Was the the $94 glitch price?

From what I've heard around, Amazon is shipping and honoring all the glitch purchases....

C

Price in checkout was $499.00 with a $404.52 discount applied, so yeah $94.48

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I'm a Prime member. I'm an idiot for not checking. I am usually up at those hours.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I wouldn’t want someone to take the same advantage of my mistakes.
Was it a mistake? Or a “mistake”?

All I know is I’ve seen several write ups on the whole thing and it is tough to buy that kind of press. I suspect many photographers, including myself, are going to pay more attention to the next prime day sale.

Had Amazon not honored the “mistake”. That would not be the case. As Mt Spokane pointed out, they could have canceled the order.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Perhaps they were conducting a social experiment to study the ethics of their customers. Match up the data of those who bought the lenses to see how they can refine their marketing/pricing in the future. :) Or maybe just sell their data to troll farms.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Was it a mistake? Or a “mistake”?

All I know is I’ve seen several write ups on the whole thing and it is tough to buy that kind of press. I suspect many photographers, including myself, are going to pay more attention to the next prime day sale.

Had Amazon not honored the “mistake”. That would not be the case. As Mt Spokane pointed out, they could have canceled the order.
I find it highly unlikely they marked down high value items by 99% as a hidden promotion, but maybe.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's funny, when there was a fire sale on the EOS-M B&H actually ran out of M+22 kits and sent out M+22+90EX kits instead, when I got mine I emailed them and said they had sent me the wrong item and how should I return it, they explained they ran out but were happy to eat the difference and they hoped I'd enjoy the flash.

I rarely look anywhere else but B&H now for my camera and computer purchasing.

P.S. I still have the 90EX and use it with the M5 now...

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I find it highly unlikely they marked down high value items by 99% as a hidden promotion, but maybe.
I find it odd they so consistently marked down goods across different brands. At least by the examples I’ve heard, it wasn’t by a percent but rather to that $94.48 value.

Like you say, maybe it happened.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I find it odd they so consistently marked down goods across different brands. At least by the examples I’ve heard, it wasn’t by a percent but rather to that $94.48 value.

Like you say, maybe it happened.
Ah maybe so, I just rough order estimated the math for this lens, wasn’t aware of others.

However it happened and whether or not they honor it, I can’t believe it was not erroneous.

Upvote 0