An APS-C sensor equipped EOS R camera mentioned again [CR1]

ThomsA

Constantly suppressing GAS. Taking photos.
Aug 31, 2018
Germany
If Canon does roll out a crop camera with an RF mount, what RF lenses would they need to make for it?

Good question. Maybe none for the next two years - I could imagine a lot of of people would happily use the EF (and EF-S) lenses they already possess.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I had expected an EOS-R APS-C.
I think its a good model to sell alot of 70-200 and 100-400 RF Lens (When they are available)
High frame rate (>10 FPS) should be achievable with such a camera.
I'd prefer a high frame rate Full Frame with cropping capability so that you could see what you are getting through the eyepiece. I would have thought it was one of the advantages mirrorless would bring.
I would have originally thought the EOS M would disappear into obscurity but it seems very popular and Canon still seem to be developing it.
I wouldn't invest in EOS M at this stage as I have too many mounts already..
I think all future lens investments I make will be in EOS R lens as soon as a EOS R camera that suits me comes out.
I'd love to see Canon Lens sales figures and whether there is a slowdown in sales of L lens and R lens combined due to people like me who are waiting for the new EOS R cameras to see if they move to EOS R or persist with EF.
I'd certainly consider an EOS-R APS-C if its a step improvement on my aging 7DII.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Easy, cost. Not every one can spend $3K+ on a 50MP+ FF camera. It's why we have APS-C.

The 50mp is not the driving cost.
It is the status symbol which is not status anymore as it is becoming the norm than the cutting edge.
Again, if Canon wanted to crank out $800.00 FF 50 mp cameras they could and still make an excellent profit.
How much of features seem to be software related vs hardware anymore?

Upvote 0
Why crop in camera when it is easy to crop in whatever software is used in computer. I would suggest the later cropping is done is better....

The lenses mainly, not the body. Compare size/weight APS-C lenses with corresponding FF lenses. (e.g. EF-S 10-24 versus EF 16-35)
But in principle you are right. One still could use the FF camera body, as long as one has small lightweight lenses, even if they don't cover the FF.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It is the status symbol which is not status anymore as it is becoming the norm than the cutting edge.
Given that APS-C sales vastly outnumber FF sales, I’m not sure how you conclude that FF is ‘becoming the norm’. Likewise for 50+ MP, of which there are just three such ILCs on the market (not counting medium format).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I wish I knew why every time there is a crop vs ff thread both sides get so ridiculously defensive.

I don't need to defend my equipment choices I buy them for what they do for me, nobody else needs to defend their choices either just don't try and pretend the differences aren't there. There are very good reasons to buy either or both, some shooting scenarios are better achieved with crop some with FF, but denying the differences is, by definition, living in denial...
It most def brings up a 'Why can't we all just get along' thing for me. Some folks here act like it's a cyclist vs driver forum.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Again, if Canon wanted to crank out $800.00 FF 50 mp cameras they could and still make an excellent profit.
How much of features seem to be software related vs hardware anymore?
You have got to look beyond your circle for perspective. We need a new acronym for how forumites are a tiny % of camera sales and gear usage.

I read things here like "I went on a walk in a touristy area and saw 7 FF cameras 2 crop and 3 M43, it must mean that most people are now shooting with FF, I am writing Canon for them to end the EF-M production since no one is buying them any longer."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It most def brings up a 'Why can't we all just get along' thing for me. Some folks here act like it's a cyclist vs driver forum.
Its hilarious and such a wide ranging phenomena, I just bought a tractor and was looking for reviews and forums that could offer user insight into something I just don't know anything about, holly cow, don't ask about a Kubota in a John Deere forum, or visa versa.

Tribalism seems to be the new lifestyle and it trumps (small T, not a political comment) functionality or capability of the product or user, now we have more information than ever it seems to have less value as people just can't get over that tribalism...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think the sweet thing with an RF mount crop sensor with no RF-S lenses is that Canon may be incentivized to make more full-frame wide angle lenses to sell to the people with crop sensors. Note that the 15-35mm f/2.8L IS is a 24-56mm f/2.8L IS on a crop sensor, which is a pretty sweet high quality lens with IS and equivalent to almost a 24-70 IS for a crop. I would have definitely preferred that to the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS I had back in my crop sensor days.

I could also see Canon making something like a cheap RF 15-45mm F/5.6-6.3 IS with full frame coverage that could serve as a cheap kit lens for crop cameras as well as a cheap, compact wide angle option for full-frame cameras.

Upvote 0
Its hilarious and such a wide ranging phenomena, I just bought a tractor and was looking for reviews and forums that could offer user insight into something I just don't know anything about, holly cow, don't ask about a Kubota in a John Deere forum, or visa versa.

Tribalism seems to be the new lifestyle and it trumps (small T, not a political comment) functionality or capability of the product or user, now we have more information than ever it seems to have less value as people just can't get over that tribalism...

John Deere is the extreme example. If there was a picture by "brand loyalty" in the dictionary it would be a JD tractor. It was that way a long time before the internet was invented. Nikon vs Canon is a mild debate compared to tractors.

FYI when buying a tractor you are making a long term investment. Tractors are pretty much equal, JD's advantage is resale in the long term.

Upvote 0

Philrp

Waiting patiently for my APS-C EOS R
Sep 2, 2018
My hope is that the August announcements will be 3 APS-C cameras

- 90D or whatever they call it, the 80d 7d merge
- EOS M6 or M5
- EOS R camera with APS-C

These all can be the same camera in difference boxes with a marketing angle for each.

From there, Canon can judge which way consumers are leaning through the holiday season.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think the sweet thing with an RF mount crop sensor with no RF-S lenses is that Canon may be incentivized to make more full-frame wide angle lenses to sell to the people with crop sensors. Note that the 15-35mm f/2.8L IS is a 24-56mm f/2.8L IS on a crop sensor, which is a pretty sweet high quality lens with IS and equivalent to almost a 24-70 IS for a crop. I would have definitely preferred that to the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS I had back in my crop sensor days.
You'd rather be forced into buying a $3K 15-35 2.8L for a "normal" lens that will take larger filters, be heavier, and large, versus a 900-$1200 normal lens that was designed for the crop factor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My hope is that the August announcements will be 3 APS-C cameras

- 90D or whatever they call it, the 80d 7d merge
- EOS M6 or M5
- EOS R camera with APS-C

These all can be the same camera in difference boxes with a marketing angle for each.

From there, Canon can judge which way consumers are leaning through the holiday season.

These august announcements are a bit odd.

- M6 II instead of an M5 II.
- 90D which could never be a merge of the 7D and 80D without making someone very unhappy, so it will be some Frankensteinian combination of the two cameras.

It's a bit of curiosity to see what Canon has in mind for the 90D especially with the sensor. However, the real fun will be next February.

Also, this CR1 rumor is that Canon is considering it. Not that they are actively developing it. Don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
FYI when buying a camera you are making a long term investment. Cameras are pretty much equal, Canon's advantage is resale in the long term.

That is laughable. Price the John Deere tractors from the 70's. A tractor that old in good shape is still functional and relevant for its use. My 2008 JD I can sell for 80% of what I paid.

Camera bodies are technology items. The 5D II I paid $2500 for 10 years ago I can get around $500 for. Maybe you meant glass is an long term investment but who here is using 45 year old Canon glass.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
John Deere is the extreme example. If there was a picture by "brand loyalty" in the dictionary it would be a JD tractor. It was that way a long time before the internet was invented. Nikon vs Canon is a mild debate compared to tractors.

FYI when buying a tractor you are making a long term investment. Tractors are pretty much equal, JD's advantage is resale in the long term.
I ended up with a 1025R TLB with drive over deck mower, I only have 5 acres but maintain an additional few thousand feet of horse paths as well. I got a very good deal on a 2016 trade in with 300 hours and am very happy with it. The features people point out as class leading really are, the almost hands free implement attach/detach is easy enough that my wife is happy to do it.

I actually got it from a dealer who has John Deere and Kubotas and Massey, Mahindra and Ford's they took as PX's for you to try and actually compare yourself. They don't care which you buy they just want you to be a long term customer, the B&H of tractor dealers!

Ok back to Canon/Sony wars ;)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
You have got to look beyond your circle for perspective. We need a new acronym for how forumites are a tiny % of camera sales and gear usage.

I read things here like "I went on a walk in a touristy area and saw 7 FF cameras 2 crop and 3 M43, it must mean that most people are now shooting with FF, I am writing Canon for them to end the EF-M production since no one is buying them any longer."

That is what the APSC M is for. Small and easy to carry. Performance can be excellent for the M cameras.
The R is NOT small though and will carry huge heavy lenses.
Once M has IBIS I am getting it.
Both R and M need IBIS then I will upgrade to one of each.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
That is laughable. Price the John Deere tractors from the 70's. A tractor that old in good shape is still functional and relevant for its use. My 2008 JD I can sell for 80% of what I paid.

Camera bodies are technology items. The 5D II I paid $2500 for 10 years ago I can get around $500 for. Maybe you meant glass is an long term investment but who here is using 45 year old Canon glass.

I am. I have Canon lenses dating to 1959. And they are still being used.

Upvote 0