An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

I use polarizers to minimize reflections on stone counter tops and in swimming pools and the images are part of a composite/blend of images to get the best looking aspect of each element in the frame, I am not looking to polarize large areas of sky or landscape.

Like this.
Gotcha. I figured there must be something I was missing.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
This has got to be the most dumb rumor that I have seen in a long time.

Make camera fatter, more expensive and with more moving parts just because some asshats can't be bothered to fit an adaptor? I know a sensor with IBIS needs to be able to move, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Oh, and where the fudge do you put the control ring?

Any serious pro using EF glass on an RF body will be using EF->RF adaptors fitted semi-permanently onto each of their EF lenses meaning you can switch out an adapted lens with a native RF lens instantly and with the same ease as switching to RF.

While this nonsensical plan would have you wait until the lens has moved and been recalibrated for the new sensor position.

This will never happen.

This should never happen.

Someone, somewhere, is having a huge laugh at CR's expense.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Upvote 0
A moving sensor solves the flange distance problem but not the EF-RF mount incompatibility.

When I 'predicted' it, it was way befor the R release and we didn't know anything about the mount compatibility. Btw I also predicted the moving sensor could also be tilting:

But tbh I'm not sure if I believe this current rumour. If Canon releases such a camera, they end up with a zoo of strange chimeras. But at the same time I'd probably buy it, providing the camera delivers desired specs.

Upvote 0
If this rumor is true, which I hope it isn't, why is Canon wasting their time on a hybrid mount. Get a pro mirrorless body for sports to market already! I've been a Canon user since January 2004, and since then I've owned a 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D MII, and 1DX, but I'm about to jump ship to Sony. If my Quantum Trio flashes worked in TTL/Auto on a Sony I'd already would have made the switch. I like my 7D MII, love my 1DX, but it's a tank. The Trio's are exceptional in the field, even when using bare bulb, and I use at least 1 Trio on 90% of my shoots. IMO, Canon has totally missed the field in the mirrorless game.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I like the 'sensor on rails' innovation, but there is still the physical mount diameter difference between EF & RF. Maybe a new 'pro' mirrorless would be bundled with a new RF to EF adaptor that includes the EF200-400L f4 style switch in & out 1.4x Extender. This would make a move to mirrorless more attractive to EF 'white ' lens users.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
This has got to be the most dumb rumor that I have seen in a long time.

Make camera fatter, more expensive and with more moving parts just because some asshats can't be bothered to fit an adaptor? I know a sensor with IBIS needs to be able to move, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Oh, and where the fudge do you put the control ring?

Any serious pro using EF glass on an RF body will be using EF->RF adaptors fitted semi-permanently onto each of their EF lenses meaning you can switch out an adapted lens with a native RF lens instantly and with the same ease as switching to RF.

While this nonsensical plan would have you wait until the lens has moved and been recalibrated for the new sensor position.

This will never happen.

This should never happen.

Someone, somewhere, is having a huge laugh at CR's expense.
After looking at the EF and RF mount carefully, I have a difficult time envisioning modification to the mount that would retain adequate strength and line up the contacts. It might be possible to modify the mount to accept both, but I don't see it as practical, perhaps some sort of design that rotated mounting slots, but a Rube Goldberg mount is not for a 1 series camera.

As far as diameters, both EF and RF are the same. The best way might be to mount a RF lens upside down so it matched with a 2nd set of contacts. The question is having adequate mounting strength with a dual mounting setup.

If a mount can be designed, then a collapsible mount or moving sensor would work.

There may be such a beast out there as a prototype, but as to actually producing it??

In any event, the physical design of the camera is locked down by now, and production of the pieces and parts well underway.

Yeah, the obvious solution from an engineering perspective that everyone seems to be missing so far is this:
Interchangeable digital back: a shallow one for RF and a second, a deeper one, for EF flange distance.
This coupled with a universal bayonet Mount combining both EF and RF. No moving parts no floating sensor. Weather protection isn’t an issue.
Solved...,

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
As someone who is interested in actual releases of new FF camera models (since none of the current offerings fit the bill) am I the only one who would rather have silence as opposed to CR1's and 2's?
Tough call for a rumours site:)
To be fair, the CR Guy said it was from a credible source, and more than one source.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
*Something* has to gap the 26mm difference.

Assuming this rumor is true, an adapter is detachable, the only option I can think off is a collapsible mount - a tube that can be pushed in & pulled out as needed. Somehow, I doubt we're going to see this in a pro camera.
Yep, they wont even put flip out screens on those cameras, cant imagine them throwing a collapsible mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

what do you think is happening with ibis every time its used on systems that have it? It has to recalibrate itself back to center every movement. each adapter joint can introduce micro adjustment issues. However mirrorless corrects for most of these issues automatically using focus. The same techniques for focus should be applicable to a rail movement. It only needs to get within 1/4 of a millimeter and the ibis can compensate for the rest. Getting it perfect without ibis would be hard, but for ibis to work well it needs to self adjust, which can correct for small differences in linear stepping motors that would most likely be used to move a sensor along rails. to be honest moving a sensor in this way is not much different than moving a lens element, with the difference of a ribbon cable thats attached to it.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I predicted the moving sensor more than a year ago to explain the 'sexy' mount solution in pre-R rumours.
Such a system can't be done without a sensor on rails.

On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?

Because it would be a pro feature that they could charge extra for. Especially if they do something really cool like allow macro with EF lenses by shifting the sensor position.

Upvote 0