An EOS 3D Mention [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds pretty realistic to me. If new sensor technology is going into this 50MP set-up, it's going to be a pro camera and go into a 1-series body. The 5DMK4 will get the tech but not until 2014 and at a twenty-something MP range. Really, who needs 50MP except for the commercial pros or hardcore/wealthy enthusiast.

I do hope they are really taking their time to get it right. I love the 1DX but it doesn't have the MP I want. With this camera, give me a minimum of 6fps in RAW, a crop-mode, the new tech and I'd be very happy. Oh yes... Canon, will you PLEASE build-in WiFi and GPS? Seriously. :-D

$9k - $10k. Sure if it's done right. End of 2013 or early 2014. I'd be cool. I know I'll be upgrading around that time.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Quasimodo said:
I love the fact that they have placed a non-existing lens on the picture :)

Chosenbydestiny said:
Can the design get any rounder? =P

zim said:
40mm f1.2L ? ???

This is an old photoshopped 'mock up' that someone did years ago. It gets pulled out of mothballs whenever the 'mythical 3D' gets re-rumored.

Upvote 0

EdB

Oct 4, 2012
dendowling said:
I agree with above post, naming the camera '3D' sounds like a really bad idea if it does not have any 3-D image features. Sure, some Canon users will understand the naming history. But, everyone else will be confused or annoyed with a camera called the 'EOS 3D' that does not shoot in 3-D - it sounds dumb. I hope Canon knows better than to use that name. It's a marketing fail waiting to happen.

Isn't it past time to drop the D altogether? It isn't necessary to distinguish digital cameras from film cameras anymore.

Just call it the EOS 3 and put eye controlled focus like the original! And just drop in a 24MP sensor without an AA filter, that would be perfect.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. body wise (whether it could be a 1D series body or a 5D body)- I've been looking at the northlight rumors (wow it's be a long time since I've visited that site), and they're suggesting that it could perhaps be like a 1V body. So the size of a 5D, in the style of a 1D (basically, the bottom grip on the 1D not there). But it would be interesting to see how things get when this goes to a CR2.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Why if it's in a 1 series style body couldn't an upcoming high MP body be called the 1Ds mk IV?

The 1D X has most of the resolution of the 1Ds mk III, and other than reach, everything the 1D mk IV had - while it wasn't a direct descendant of either, it made it a suitable replacement for both lines, even if a few missed either the resolution or reach. Having said that, putting FPS before MP in the 1D X is more of a trait of the 1D series than 1Ds - it's just the change in sensor size which necessitated a new naming convention.

The 1Ds line were high MP studio cameras. And as proved by the G12, G1 X and then G15, the new X variant doesn't necessarily mean the end of the line for the old way of doing things.

Calling it the Canon 1Ds mk IV makes more sense to me than calling it the Canon 3D

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
rs said:
Why if it's in a 1 series style body couldn't an upcoming high MP body be called the 1Ds mk IV?
I bet it won't be called anything "D". When all cameras are digital, the D is superfluous anyway, and I think time is about ripe to drop it. Maybe "EOS 1S" if it's 1-series like body with vertical handle, or 3S or 5S without. Or maybe some other letter. Given "EOS M" they might even drop the initial number altogether ("EOS S"), but I don't think that's very likely.

Upvote 0
JonB8305 said:
bdunbar79 said:
There's no way Canon is going to enter the medium format market. That would be incredibly stupid, for many reasons that I shouldn't have to go into here.

Can you explain it for us noobs?

Canon has pretty much, overall, dominated the DSLR market for a long time and is still very successful. There are already elite medium format makers out there, who have been dominating that market for years. Each have their own lenses, accessories, etc., that sell really well too. The medium format market is so much smaller than the DSLR market, there's no reason that Canon would try to compete there. Much better to stay in their own market. If they just enter MF, how are they going to compete with Leica and Hasselblad? It would hardly be worth even trying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.