An RF mount L macro lens will be announced alongside the high-megapixel EOS R camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that Canon will announce a new and “unique” RF mount L macro lens alongside the high-megapixel EOS R camera sometime in early 2020.
The source wasn’t sure what will make the new macro lens “unique”, but did say they were told that it would be faster than f/2.8.
In the past, we have heard that Canon is working on some kind of zoom macro, but we aren’t sure if that’ll be a feature in a new standard type zoom lens, or an actual 1:1 macro lens.
Note: The image for this article is the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS

Continue reading...

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
A tilt macro would be unique. Or maybe low hanging fruit, like a full-frame macro with a built-in LED ring light (as found on EF-M and EF-S macro lenses).

That reminded me of a thought I had.

Would it be feasible to make an EF-RF (or EF-M) adapter that had the tilt-shift mechanics in it?

If so, basically ANY EF/EF-S lens could become a tilt-shift lens on an R or M series camera.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Would it be feasible to make an EF-RF (or EF-M) adapter that had the tilt-shift mechanics in it?

If so, basically ANY EF/EF-S lens could become a tilt-shift lens on an R or M series camera.

Possibly, but TS lenses aren’t just normal lenses with a fancy mechanism. They have an extra large image circle in order to be able to fill the sensor even tilted/shifted. But an FF lens on an M body, or R body in crop mode, could work.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do you mean tilt-shift? There are already 3 TS-E macro prime
I’m aware of them, thanks (and although I don’t have the new TS-E lenses with 1:2 max mag, I have the 17 and 24mm TS-E lenses).

No, I mean tilt only. Combined with 1:1 macro that would be unique. From a purely macro perspective (pun intended), shift doesn’t offer much but tilt can be very useful. I suspect that by sticking to tilt, Canon could both allow higher max magnification and a greater degree of tilt (the latter would be important if the lens has a longer focal length, which I think is likely given that there’s already an RF 35mm macro).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Possible, but keep in mind there’s only 24-26mm / 1” to work with. The TS mechanisms on the current lenses are much longer than that. A tilt-only or shiFt-only adapter would be straightforward. That assumes a lens image circle large enough, as mentioned above, so an adapter for EF lenses to an M body would make more sense. Well, more sense from a technical standpoint, the problem is they would not make much sense from a marketing standpoint, IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is a larger image circle necessary for a tilt?
For a tilt lens, yes. That’s one major difference between TS lenses and the old cameras where the film back did the moving – a tilted image plane (sensor/film) will remain within the size same image circle as the default neutral angle, whereas tilting the lens will cause clipping if the image circle is not larger than what is needed to cover the sensor. It’s progressive, so the more tilt the lens has, the bigger the image circle needs to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dancan

R5
Jan 8, 2015
Possible, but keep in mind there’s only 24-26mm / 1” to work with. The TS mechanisms on the current lenses are much longer than that. A tilt-only or shit-only adapter would be straightforward. That assumes a lens image circle large enough, as mentioned above, so an adapter for EF lenses to an M body would make more sense. Well, more sense from a technical standpoint, the problem is they would not make much sense from a marketing standpoint, IMO.
I take the shit-only adapter;);)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A new 1-5x macro, but with a ring light at the end. That would be pretty sick.
Yeah, but not unique.

Well, sort of unique because the linked lens has three LEDs not a ring and is 4-5X, not 1-5x.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Yeah, but not unique.

Well, sort of unique because the linked lens has three LEDs not a ring and is 4-5X, not 1-5x.

So then, unique. Also, that's still for EF-M. Not RF. You'd have been better pulling up a link for Canon's 1-5x EF lens (which is fantastic and relatively cheap).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So then, unique. Also, that's still for EF-M. Not RF. You'd have been better pulling up a link for Canon's 1-5x EF lens (which is fantastic and relatively cheap).
Good point, I forgot it was EF-M and neglected to check.

Thanks for the correction!

I have the MP-E 65. Not sure I’d actually want a ring light, too flat. The TwinLite does much better for adding depth to my shots (I had both MR and MT, didn’t keep the former).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0