An unreleased Canon camera appears for certification.

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
So a small battery for an EOS M product? Or a small APS-c RF mount camera?
For an M series camera, the LP-E17 is actually a big battery. The cheaper Ms (M, M2, M10, M50, M100, M200) use LP-E12, the more expensive ones (M3, M5, M6, M6II) use LP-E17. The RP also uses LP-E17.
Looking at recent updates to cameras using LP-E12, Canon seems to be moving to LP-E17 for those, so we can't tell as much from the battery as before.

Reactions: Stuart

Tom W

EOS RP
Sep 5, 2012
One site noted that the DS part of the model number implies "DSLR". If so, I'd vote for a new Rebel, possibly based on the new 32 megapixel sensor.

If it were a replacement for the 7D2, I would expect the larger LP-E6n battery as is used in other DSLR bodies.

Reactions: navastronia

criscokkat

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2017
Madison, WI
Any new camera (M or Rebel) will most likely have Digic 8 and be able to use eye focus and such when using a screen. Those features are much more computationally expensive, and using the camera in that way uses more energy. In addition if it's not an uber-cheap body it will probably use the same 30mp chip the m6 and 90d has.

PerKr

EOS T7i
Jul 11, 2018
Sverige
Considering Nikon released the Z50... I wouldn't rule out an APS-C RF model. As good as the M cameras may be, canon will want the majority of their customers to buy into RF simply because that's where they will have the profit margins. And they need an entry point. The RP is low cost for a FF body but the Z50 undercuts that by a not insignificant margin considering many will regard these as stepping stones towards the more expensive bodies. Many bought rebels with a cheap 70-300 zoom as a stepping stone towards eventually getting a 5D, 7D or 1D series camera with a 400mm tele, there's no reason to think this will be different in the world of mirrorless cameras.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It shoots 30MP's at 13fps in RAW ;) At 1/6th of the price of the EOS 1DX MKII
Unlike the M6 II which does 14fps in RAW at 32MP at 1/6.5 the price.... :)

with that battery it has to be another M series. My bet would be somewhere below the M6 II, but then again my prediction record has been spectacularly wrong......

Joules

EOS RP
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
with that battery it has to be another M series. My bet would be somewhere below the M6 II
The battery doesn't tell us much except that this won't be the 7D III replacement and that it is unlikely to be Full Frame (The RP uses LP-E17, but nothing else with that sensor size does). The current Rebels use LP-E17 as well, it is not a mirrorless only battery.

SteveC

M50 & T6i
Sep 3, 2019
The battery doesn't tell us much except that this won't be the 7D III replacement and that it is unlikely to be Full Frame (The RP uses LP-E17, but nothing else with that sensor size does). The current Rebels use LP-E17 as well, it is not a mirrorless only battery.
Good points all. (Since I have a number of spare E17 batteries, that's one of the aspects of the RP that makes it tantalizing to me--no need to buy more batteries and I get another charger to boot!)