An Update on Canon's NAB 2018 Announcements [CR3]

Not releasing a C100 III is going to bite Canon in the behind. In going after the high-end cinema market they're hemorrhaging wedding videographers (a significantly growing market) and independent shooters. These people (who use to be their base with the 5DmkII) aren't making more than professional photographers (who get a professional body with professional features for $3500) yet Canon thinks the C200 at $7500 is going to be the entry level product for them? For about the price of a C200 you can get two A7III's and a used FS5. That's an incredibly easy decision in Sony's favor if you need multi-cam 4k delivery, especially if you're a hybrid shooter also doing still work.

I realize there are a lot of photographers here who might not get it. If you're a pro photographer, imagine your only options in 2018 from Canon were the 80D, 5D MkII (yes II), and a $7500 1DxII.... That's about the feature and price discrepancy anybody doing video faces, and the reason we complain so much.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Not releasing a C100 III is going going to bite Canon in the behind. In going after the high-end cinema market they're hemorrhaging wedding videographers (a significantly growing market) and independent shooters. These people (who use to be their base with the 5DmkII) aren't making more than professional photographers (who get a professional body with professional features for $3500) yet Canon thinks the C200 at $7500 is going to be the entry level product for them? For about the price of a C200 you can get two A7III's and a used FS5. That's an incredibly easy decision in Sony's favor if you need multi-cam 4k delivery, especially if you're a hybrid shooter also doing still work.

I realize there are a lot of photographers here who might not get it. If you're a pro photographer, imagine your only options in 2018 from Canon were the 80D, 5D MkII (yes II), and a $7500 1DxII.... That's about the feature and price discrepancy anybody doing video faces, and the reason we complain so much.

So true.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
Etienne said:
Canon appears to have no interest in the entry level cinema segment. Sony and Panasonic are your best choice there. You'll go broke waiting for Canon to show up.
The entry level definition is broad. May be what is considered entry level by one manufacturer is considered as intermediate level by the other ones.
Canon has XF400/405 as entry level 4K, 60P, 150mbps video camera. At the moment, no other video camera by other manufacturers in this form factor (1-inch, fixed lens, videocam form) can beat them in terms of field of view (24-25mm eqiv.) and bit rate.
XC-15 is also another entry level cinema camera with 4K pro codec. it surpasses FS5 4K in terms of bit rate (305mbps) and bit depth (4-2-2).

The XF400 is more or less equivalent to the Sony X70 and new V80/xc90 or whatever they are called. But none of these are cincema cameras. They are entry level doco, or news gathering cameras.
The XC15 is also fixed lens deep DOF camera, not cinema.
There aren't very many entry level cinema cameras other than the FS5, the Black Magic Ursa mini, there's a new Panasonic but I can't remember the name, and I would have said the C100 but it is just too out of date to even consider. The FS7 might be considered entry level because it offers so much for the money even though it is a bit higher than entry.
Anyway, I hate to see Canon out of this game.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
CanonGrunt said:
A C500/ c300 MK 2 replacment won’t come till August or so. If they spruce up the C300 MK II then it will probably be a C500 replacement to put in the $20,000 range. The C300 MK II is going for $10,000 new now, down from. $30,000 at debut, with the c700 packages currently ranged at $28,000-35,000.

I'm presuming this is a typo. The C300mkII was never even close to the ballpark of $30K. At least not in US dollars.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
RunAndGun said:
CanonGrunt said:
A C500/ c300 MK 2 replacment won’t come till August or so. If they spruce up the C300 MK II then it will probably be a C500 replacement to put in the $20,000 range. The C300 MK II is going for $10,000 new now, down from. $30,000 at debut, with the c700 packages currently ranged at $28,000-35,000.

I'm presuming this is a typo. The C300mkII was never even close to the ballpark of $30K. At least not in US dollars.

lets stop lying. it was $15,999. doulbe the price of the fs7 when it came out but lacked 60p 4k

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
RayValdez360 said:
RunAndGun said:
CanonGrunt said:

lets stop lying. it was $15,999. doulbe the price of the fs7 when it came out but lacked 60p 4k

And the price tag plus the lack of 4K seems to have cost Canon dearly in the market. I don’t see many C300IIs being used in New York.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
My guess is that the C300 will get the C200's awesome RAW codec.
...and yes, it really is a great CODEC for many types of narrative work: it's very small for RAW, and it doesn't require an external recorder. Sure, it's a bit much for quick jobs, but it's really the best thing for shows that will go through a full grade.

We should also see the promised on-board 10-bit CODEC for the C200.

Ideally, I would love to see Canon offer (more) high-FPS options, but they probably require hardware upgrades.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
transpo1 said:
And the price tag plus the lack of 4K seems to have cost Canon dearly in the market. I don’t see many C300IIs being used in New York.

The C300 mkII does shoot 4K. But, I do not see many of them around on the east coast. I have a client that has one or two, but they were mostly just replacing heavily worn original 300's and I know someone that was late to the "300 party" and he bought a mark II, as well. But most guys I know, including myself, that bought original 300's, did not buy mark II's, they still have their originals going. If I shoot 4K/UHD, it's on my F55. Most 4K that I see people shooting is on Sony or (internally uprezzed) Arri.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
Bernard said:
My guess is that the C300 will get the C200's awesome RAW codec.
...and yes, it really is a great CODEC for many types of narrative work: it's very small for RAW, and it doesn't require an external recorder. Sure, it's a bit much for quick jobs, but it's really the best thing for shows that will go through a full grade.

We should also see the promised on-board 10-bit CODEC for the C200.

Ideally, I would love to see Canon offer (more) high-FPS options, but they probably require hardware upgrades.

From what Canon actually told me in person is the C300 MKII boards they put in it can't handle 4k 60p, so if it was going to get the new Canon RAW that the C200 has, they would need to put new boards in it. So that is my prediction that the C300 MKII will be offered an upgrade for new boards installed by Canon that will handle at least 4k 60p with their MXF codec currently in it. There was no "promised" 10 bit codec for the C200, Canon has always said it will be 8 bit, but maybe will be 8 bit 422 instead of 420 as they said last year.

The RAW thing could happen with the new boards internally as well in the C300 MKII. I also predict a full frame sensor availiable as an upgrade for the C700. .... But I am actually looking forward to the rumored XC15 type bodied camera that has no built in lens and can be used with most Canon's lenses. I'll be a NAB regardless of what happens....see some of you there!

Upvote 0