nebugeater said:
catfish252 said:
Warrenl said:
I would like to see:

1. Backlit buttons
2. Built in WiFi
3. Higher usable ISO & better low ISO DR
4. More MPix

I never thought about back lit buttons but that is a tremendous idea - I would love to have that feature Thank you.

If they had trouble keeping the outside light out int he past how are they going to keep the inside light out? :D

Yeah, I agree. Plus once you get to know the camera then you know where the buttons are. I don't even think about where they are on my 5DIII. I make the changes while looking through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
helpful said:
"Small" but killer features that I would like to see:

1. Ability to sync every body not only with each other as you can do now, but also within 1/1000th of a second of the official atomic clock.
2. Two shutter buttons. The second one could be programmed separately. Think of how useful, in fact not merely useful but essential, this would be in the moment, when the quick turns of shutter speed, ISO, and/or aperture dials, quality, drive mode, and even custom settings, are much too slow and error-prone.

These two priceless features would literally save the world for working photographers like me.

Regarding your second feature request. I believe the feature you are looking for already exist (instantly switch between two different camera settings).
This is one of the best little hidden secrets with the 1Dx (actually it´s been around since the 1DmkIII but with limited options)

You can program either the AF-on key or the *-key on the 1Dx so when you hold down the key you activate one pre-defined setting and as soon as you release the key the camera goes back to the original setting.
I shoot sports and use this feature all the time. It is truly a killer feature. I can for instance shoot speedway and when the motorcycles are heading towards me i might want to freeze the action and when they pass me I hold in the button and do a pano with a slow shutter speed or I can program it to switch between normal exposure and heavy under exposure (for a silhouette).

You can program it to change shooting mode, shutter speed, aperture, iso, AF and a bunch of other settings.
There are also other ways to switch between different settings (using the M-fn key and make it switch to a custom setting) but to activate a different setting with the M.fn you need to press the key once and to deactivate the setting you need to press the key again (which is very easy to forget). The ”hold/release” activation instead of the push/push makes all the difference. It is a lot faster and much less error-prone.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Heavens to Mergatroid!

et31 said:
We have arrived at a crossroads in the latest DSLRs between Nikon and Canon:

Exit stage left: Canon
6TO-G-.gif

or, exit stage stage really left: the Ultimate Canon, even!
snaganim.gif

...the choice is yours!

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
et31 said:
We have arrived at a crossroads in the latest DSLRs between Nikon and Canon:

Exit stage left: Canon
6TO-G-.gif

or, exit stage stage really left: the Ultimate Canon, even!
snaganim.gif

...the choice is yours!

Kitty!

If the 1DX MkII is significantly improved over the 1DX in any way it's going to be the standard professional camera for decades, maybe even longer than the 1Ds MkIII.

Upvote 0
Hansa72 said:
helpful said:
"Small" but killer features that I would like to see:

1. Ability to sync every body not only with each other as you can do now, but also within 1/1000th of a second of the official atomic clock.
2. Two shutter buttons. The second one could be programmed separately. Think of how useful, in fact not merely useful but essential, this would be in the moment, when the quick turns of shutter speed, ISO, and/or aperture dials, quality, drive mode, and even custom settings, are much too slow and error-prone.

These two priceless features would literally save the world for working photographers like me.

Regarding your second feature request. I believe the feature you are looking for already exist (instantly switch between two different camera settings).
This is one of the best little hidden secrets with the 1Dx (actually it´s been around since the 1DmkIII but with limited options)

You can program either the AF-on key or the *-key on the 1Dx so when you hold down the key you activate one pre-defined setting and as soon as you release the key the camera goes back to the original setting.
I shoot sports and use this feature all the time. It is truly a killer feature. I can for instance shoot speedway and when the motorcycles are heading towards me i might want to freeze the action and when they pass me I hold in the button and do a pano with a slow shutter speed or I can program it to switch between normal exposure and heavy under exposure (for a silhouette).

You can program it to change shooting mode, shutter speed, aperture, iso, AF and a bunch of other settings.
There are also other ways to switch between different settings (using the M-fn key and make it switch to a custom setting) but to activate a different setting with the M.fn you need to press the key once and to deactivate the setting you need to press the key again (which is very easy to forget). The ”hold/release” activation instead of the push/push makes all the difference. It is a lot faster and much less error-prone.

I don't own a 1DX but this has to be the tip of the day! Impressive feature, thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
With 1Dx lets hope Canon adopts Cfast format of memory cards for faster recording.

Those idiots at Canon should adopt 4K across their camera range in 2016.
also Canon should start integrating usb Type-C on its cameras as compared to both Usb Mini and Micro that connector is stronger and smaller.
Also with regards to backlit buttons, Olympus had a DSlr E-620 few years back with backlit buttons and that was an entry level slr so why Canon hasnt done it so far on its top tier cameras is dumbfounded.
Another funny thing is that in Nikon world all DSlrs above D5xxx have spot metering linked to active Af points so why the hell is Canon not doing the same is beyond me.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Those idiots at Canon
You must be new around here, welcome!

should adopt 4K across their camera range in 2016.
also Canon should start integrating usb Type-C
Also with regards to backlit buttons...why Canon hasnt done it so far on its top tier cameras is dumbfounded.
Another funny thing is that in Nikon world all DSlrs above D5xxx have spot metering linked to active Af points so why the hell is Canon not doing the same is beyond me.

Here's the answer: Canon doesn't do that because they don't have to.

Specifically: more features mean higher R&D costs, higher production costs and higher support costs. All of those things cut into profits. If you want to be upset with a camera company, let me suggest you direct your wrath toward Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Olympus, etc. for failing to use their superior products to generate market pressure on Canon. Don't blame Canon for generating profit for its shareholders.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
With 1Dx lets hope Canon adopts Cfast format of memory cards for faster recording.

Those idiots at Canon should adopt 4K across their camera range in 2016.
also Canon should start integrating usb Type-C on its cameras as compared to both Usb Mini and Micro that connector is stronger and smaller.
Also with regards to backlit buttons, Olympus had a DSlr E-620 few years back with backlit buttons and that was an entry level slr so why Canon hasnt done it so far on its top tier cameras is dumbfounded.

We're not falling for that crap again. Nice try though.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I think the "we" part is questionable, and tenuous at best. Given the state of this marketplace, there can't be more than a few buyers for such a "giant." A far too wealthy and vainglorious few I suspect.
If there were no profitable market, Canon wouldn't make them. I doubt it's a marketing loss-leader.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
distant.star said:
I think the "we" part is questionable, and tenuous at best. Given the state of this marketplace, there can't be more than a few buyers for such a "giant." A far too wealthy and vainglorious few I suspect.

I am a pro user with two 1DS MkIII's, if I had got them at launch in 2007 that would be $15,998 (I didn't get them at launch and I didn't pay anything like that for them). As a business user I can amortize them over three years, by 2010 they owed me nothing as they were written off against taxes, that was 5 years ago! Or put another way, those $8,000 cameras cost me around $20 a week, as my primary business tool that is a pretty insignificant cost.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I like this backlit button idea. As far as any potential light spill, I think it's rather simple. When the shutter button gets pressed, the LEDs cut off just before the shutter releases and can come back on after the exposure is complete Done. If you're shooting video and you want them on full time, fine. Check a setting for that in the menu. But I dont think light spill would be a problem anyway. They would likely use individual LEDs for each button they desire illumination for.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
PureClassA said:
I like this backlit button idea. As far as any potential light spill, I think it's rather simple. When the shutter button gets pressed, the LEDs cut off just before the shutter releases and can come back on after the exposure is complete Done. If you're shooting video and you want them on full time, fine. Check a setting for that in the menu. But I dont think light spill would be a problem anyway. They would likely use individual LEDs for each button they desire illumination for.
light spill from backlit buttons is not an issue as the buttons on the back side of pcb on which sensor is mounted. Also of light spill were to be an serious issie then the lcd panel on back of camera would have thrown off metering sensor.

Upvote 0