Announcement: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II

Aug 26, 2015
Also-just-announced-the-new-Canon-EF-35mm-f1.4L-II-USM-Lens-httpcanon.usbbqK9-This-photo-was-capture.jpg

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
Maximilian said:
Mitch.Conner said:
Mac Duderson said:
Am I blind or did the 50mm 1.2 just get yanked off of Canon's site? :D
Ohh this could be a great year!

I LOVED my 35mm mki but sold it for the 50mm 1.2 becasue of the CA. Now with this lens announced I may go back to another 35mm Woo Hoo! I think the price is Very fair considering this looks like it may be one of the sharpest lenses made yet.

I can confirm that the 50/1.2 is not listed on Canon USA as far as I can see.

Probably just a mistake when adding the new 35.
Dito.
But it is still on the German page, so I'd go for the "mistake" theory.
http://www.canon.de/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/fixed_focal_length/
(German)

It's back.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-12l-usm

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
rs said:
Viggo said:
Yeah, that was that... The price here is 2800 usd, same as a mint used 200 f2 L, so I will not be buying after all... that sucks.....

Wait until the early adopter tax has been dropped. It still looks like an awesome lens to buy, and ~$2000 could be realistic after 6 months?

Even at 50% off, it's still more than a new mk1, lol.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Khalai said:
Viggo said:
Yeah, that was that... The price here is 2800 usd, same as a mint used 200 f2 L, so I will not be buying after all... that sucks.....

Where are you situated to have such insane prices like that? :eek:

Norway... 23.000 NOK

Can confirm. Photography equipment prices in Norway are in general batshit-crazy. So I always wait for special offers or a good rebate (but they are only coming during Christmas or summer) before I buy anything.

Upvote 0
I really wonder how long the organic BR element will last without losing transmittance or changing its refractive index. I guess it will be relatively sensitive to heat and bright light (at least compared to normal glass). This new lens might really be subscription based with canon billing 500-1000$ every 5 years to replace the BR element.

I would wait for some relatively long high temperature and high light storage tests (to simulate even longer storage/usage at moderate light and temperature levels) before buying.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
janmaxim said:
Viggo said:
Khalai said:
Viggo said:

Norway... 23.000 NOK

Can confirm. Photography equipment prices in Norway are in general batS___-crazy. So I always wait for special offers or a good rebate (but they are only coming during Christmas or summer) before I buy anything.

At Japan foto I find the price to be 18.999NOK, about 2250$. Still expensive, but 25 percent VAT is included, and that should bring the price down to 1800$ without tax.

However, I think the weight is bothering me more than the price on this one. I was happy with the Sigma 35 ART, but changed to Canon 35 f/2 IS mainly due to the lighter weight. 760 grams is quite close to the 24-70 f/2.8 L II, which I already find to be a bit heavier than I appreciate.

Edit: Too bad Viggo, the price at Japan foto is now raised to 23000 NOK.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Larsskv said:
janmaxim said:
Viggo said:
Khalai said:
Viggo said:

Norway... 23.000 NOK

Can confirm. Photography equipment prices in Norway are in general batS___-crazy. So I always wait for special offers or a good rebate (but they are only coming during Christmas or summer) before I buy anything.

At Japan foto I find the price to be 18.999NOK, about 2250$. Still expensive, but 25 percent VAT is included, and that should bring the price down to 1800$ without tax.

However, I think the weight is bothering me more than the price on this one. I was happy with the Sigma 35 ART, but changed to Canon 35 f/2 IS mainly due to the lighter weight. 760 grams is quite close to the 24-70 f/2.8 L II, which I already find to be a bit heavier than I appreciate.

Couldn't find it at japanphoto?

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Just to put things in context, for people questioning the price of this lens here are the Lensrental MTF curves for the Otus 85/1.4 and 55/1.4:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=481&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=917&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&CT=AVG

If the Canon theoretical MTF 30 curves are reasonably close to being true then the new Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM is truly on another level. It is sharper wide open in centre of frame than both the 85 and 55 Otus lenses. It is slightly sharper than the 85 and 55 Otus in midframe and significantly sharper than the 85 towards the corners. (And lets not forget that it autofocuses toooooo.)

It also appears to be at about 10% sharper than the Sigma anywhere in the frame. So while it is more expensive that the current lens and the Sigma option, I'm quite confident it is on another level of performance.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
StudentOfLight said:
Just to put things in context, for people questioning the price of this lens here are the Lensrental MTF curves for the Otus 85/1.4 and 55/1.4:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=481&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=917&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&CT=AVG

If the Canon theoretical MTF 30 curves are reasonably close to being true then the new Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM is truly on another level. It is sharper wide open in centre of frame than both the 85 and 55 Otus lenses. It is slightly sharper than the 85 and 55 Otus in midframe and significantly sharper than the 85 towards the corners. (And lets not forget that it autofocuses toooooo.)

It also appears to be at about 10% sharper than the Sigma anywhere in the frame. So while it is more expensive that the current lens and the Sigma option, I'm quite confident it is on another level of performance.

Lens properties consist of more than just (theoretical) charts. It is a big step up from the old lens but I don't see the same contrast or 3D look that the Otus lenses can provide(they are extremely good against bright light, too). There is not much point in comparing different focal lengths anyway.

Upvote 0
I hate to rain on the parade, but let's dial back the excitement several notches and look at things more objectively. There have been a number of questions asked and speculations made that I think need to be carefully addressed.

First, the comparison of MTF curves. The published curves are not comparable to any other curves (especially those actually produced from measurements of production lenses of other manufacturers) except for Canon's other published curves. That is to say, you can compare the 35/1.4L against the 35/1.4L II curves when they come from Canon, but you should not compare the Sigma curves against the Canon.

The curves that Canon produces are theoretical (as we should all know by now) in the sense that they are based on ray tracing simulated lenses and calculating the resulting spot diagrams. The most important thing to keep in mind is that these are a (reasonably good) guideline but not what you will necessarily achieve with a production lens.

Second, the BR element/technology. This is very promising. I do not think there will be longevity issues--that it is made of organic material doesn't necessarily mean it will degrade over time, but here we can only trust that Canon has tested the technology and decided it is stable enough for use in a camera system over the lifetime of the lens.

Third, your best indicator of performance at this time is the sample images. Don't look at the MTF curves for now: wait until measured MTF curves are made. Right now, sample images are the proof of performance that we should look for. The ones I've seen look very impressive. Chromatic aberration is much better controlled than in the previous design, without a doubt. It is not entirely absent, however. We are still lacking in the following types of samples: (1) shots taken at f/1.4 with low subject magnification: this is to reveal the bokeh at intermediate, non-macro scales; (2) shots taken at f/1.4 at infinity focus, of stars: this is to reveal the existence of coma wide open; (3) series of shots taken at f/1.4 to f/2 in high contrast situations: this is to reveal any spherical aberration, residual chromatic aberration, and focus shift. I can only assume that with the level of excitement over this lens, these samples will be coming VERY soon.

I'm excited but I'm not dropping $1800 on a lens that I can't yet quantify how much improvement exists.

Upvote 0
padam said:
StudentOfLight said:

Lens properties consist of more than just (theoretical) charts. It is a big step up from the old lens but I don't see the same contrast or 3D look that the Otus lenses can provide(they are extremely good against bright light, too). There is not much point in comparing different focal lengths anyway.

I agree that although the MTF charts are just charts, they do allow us to see that this lens may for the very least, be optically approaching the Otus lenses. Certainly the comparisons between the two charts shows a vastly improved performer here.

Throw in weather sealing, through in its 1st party Canon AF and we're looking at wow here, aren't we?

Canon have been putting out some rather incredible lenses the last few years and as much as we bitch and moan about their bodies, we cannot complain about the quality of lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
chromophore said:
I hate to rain on the parade, but let's dial back the excitement several notches and look at things more objectively. There have been a number of questions asked and speculations made that I think need to be carefully addressed.

First, the comparison of MTF curves. The published curves are not comparable to any other curves (especially those actually produced from measurements of production lenses of other manufacturers) except for Canon's other published curves. That is to say, you can compare the 35/1.4L against the 35/1.4L II curves when they come from Canon, but you should not compare the Sigma curves against the Canon.

The curves that Canon produces are theoretical (as we should all know by now) in the sense that they are based on ray tracing simulated lenses and calculating the resulting spot diagrams. The most important thing to keep in mind is that these are a (reasonably good) guideline but not what you will necessarily achieve with a production lens.

Second, the BR element/technology. This is very promising. I do not think there will be longevity issues--that it is made of organic material doesn't necessarily mean it will degrade over time, but here we can only trust that Canon has tested the technology and decided it is stable enough for use in a camera system over the lifetime of the lens.

Third, your best indicator of performance at this time is the sample images. Don't look at the MTF curves for now: wait until measured MTF curves are made. Right now, sample images are the proof of performance that we should look for. The ones I've seen look very impressive. Chromatic aberration is much better controlled than in the previous design, without a doubt. It is not entirely absent, however. We are still lacking in the following types of samples: (1) shots taken at f/1.4 with low subject magnification: this is to reveal the bokeh at intermediate, non-macro scales; (2) shots taken at f/1.4 at infinity focus, of stars: this is to reveal the existence of coma wide open; (3) series of shots taken at f/1.4 to f/2 in high contrast situations: this is to reveal any spherical aberration, residual chromatic aberration, and focus shift. I can only assume that with the level of excitement over this lens, these samples will be coming VERY soon.

I'm excited but I'm not dropping $1800 on a lens that I can't yet quantify how much improvement exists.

Just to add to that, I wouldn't use the sample shots as a guideline to image quality. I would wait for raw-samples. Canon isn't exactly known for their sample shots to show anything good.

Upvote 0
Mac Duderson said:
Am I blind or did the 50mm 1.2 just get yanked off of Canon's site? :D
Ohh this could be a great year!

I LOVED my 35mm mki but sold it for the 50mm 1.2 becasue of the CA. Now with this lens announced I may go back to another 35mm Woo Hoo! I think the price is Very fair considering this looks like it may be one of the sharpest lenses made yet.

You gave up the 35mm mk I for the 50mm 1.2 becuase of CA. That's strange, cause the 50mm 1.2 has a much worse CA, at least according to a number of accredited websites, such as dxomark and photozone.de

Upvote 0