Announcement: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
chmteacher said:
I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying this but where is the image stabilization? This is nearly a $2,000 lens in such a technologically advanced society and we can't even incorporate IS?

You won't get blasted at all. This has been discussed. It would appear that the old adage of "fast glass doesn't need IS", "wide FLs don't need IS", etc. has won out in the end.

It would appear that videographers and concert photographers got hosed with this call. As a guy who gets stuck in lot of poorly lit places that are flash/tripod averse, I also am a bit miffed at this not being included. It also would have been a clear differentiator to the Sigma 35 Art, possibly helping protect its price in the longer term.

The bigger deal is what this means for the entire lineup of wide/standard L primes that we will see refreshed in the coming years. Based upon the 35L II -- the first new non-big-white L prime in 7 years -- one might assume that the 24L III, 50L II, and 85L III will all be without IS.

- A

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Eldar said:
midluk said:
rrcphoto said:
what's next on the unicorn list though? I'm trying to remember another lens that was rumored for a while and hasn't appeared yet.

24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM?
New 50 1.2/1.4L and 85 1.2/1.4 are both long overdue.
Canon still has the upper hand over SoNikon of f/1.2 with those lenses so perhaps it will be a lengthy wait for them eventually to come to market. Of the two, which do you think the needs the update more urgently? The 50?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
chmteacher said:
I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying this but where is the image stabilization? This is nearly a $2,000 lens in such a technologically advanced society and we can't even incorporate IS?

You won't get blasted at all. This has been discussed. It would appear that the old adage of "fast glass doesn't need IS", "wide FLs don't need IS", etc. has won out in the end.

It would appear that videographers and concert photographers got hosed with this call. As a guy who gets stuck in lot of poorly lit places that are flash/tripod averse, I also am a bit miffed at this not being included. It also would have been a clear differentiator to the Sigma 35 Art, possibly helping protect its price in the longer term.

The bigger deal is what this means for the entire lineup of wide/standard L primes that we will see refreshed in the coming years. Based upon the 35L II -- the first new non-big-white L prime in 7 years -- one might assume that the 24L III, 50L II, and 85L III will all be without IS.

- A

+1000

I'm with you guys. I want a big aperture AND IS. A big aperture isn't going to stabilize hand-held video. And there are times when I am shooting in very low-light, where a tripod is just impossible (alpine climbing).

I currently use the 28mm f/2.8 IS for these tasks...I would love to have an f/1.4 with IS...

If only there were a body that had IS in it that I could mount Canon glass too... 8)

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
StudentOfLight said:
Eldar said:
midluk said:
rrcphoto said:
what's next on the unicorn list though? I'm trying to remember another lens that was rumored for a while and hasn't appeared yet.

24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM?
Canon still has the upper hand over SoNikon of f/1.2 with those lenses so perhaps it will be a lengthy wait for them eventually to come to market. Of the two, which do you think the needs the update more urgently? The 50?
I hope they do something different with the 50. Do something like the 100 softfocus stuff where you can dial in the spherical aberration so that it can be used to still the soft focus effect of the current lens but have that tack sharp detail if you want it.
I think most folks like the 50L because of the uncorrected SA of that design. Not sure a tack sharp one will have the same following.

I went to B+H earlier this week to test the 50L and a soft pro filter on my new 24-70 Mark II. I decided to go with the filter assuming that my dreams of a newer 50 L with controlled SA will come sooner than later.

Wishes :)

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Eldar said:
midluk said:
rrcphoto said:

24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM?
From a volume persepctive, I'm sure a new 50 would bring in more money. Personally I'm hoping for both, but if I had to chose, I think I'd vote for a new 85mm f1.2L IS.

Upvote 0
chmteacher said:
That lenses become pretty big at f/1.4. Likely too big to move them fast and precisely enough to get a good IS performance. Even f/2.0 IS lenses are very rare. They should do IS with a moving sensor to get around this.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
For my personal reference, I got a better indication of how the new 35 L II will perform, when I compared the MTF charts to the 35 f/2 IS, which I am very happy with.

I have compared the 35 f/2 IS, to the Sigma 35 ART, and I found them to be very close when both shot at f/2, and they are both pretty excellent at f/2.

Comparing Canon's MTF charts of the 35 f/2 IS to the new 35 L II, indicates that the new L will be significantly sharper at f/1.4, than the 35 f/2 IS at f/2:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_35mm_f_2_is_usm

Even though I would like it to be lighter, I may start to save up for it...

Upvote 0
It's surprising just how old the original design was and explains a lot of the issues people had with it. I 'was' hoping for an updated 85L but noticed my version (the mkii) was released in 1996 so it's going to be a while yet before we lose that slow focusing bokeh monster.

Or maybe not, but the 50L will be next I guess considering there is no competing Art 85mm as yet.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Quite an expensive lens for a prime even if its charts are comparable to other more expensive lens.
We'll really have to see some real life shooting to see is it worth it.
As for the BR element/technology. It will be interesting if this really has longevity. It's an expensive risk you'd take if you are an early adopter. There will be alot of sunlight passing through it, under hot conditions would it degrade.
Hopefully they have it fully worked out.
It's big and heavy by the look of it.
I hope it is a great lens and I look forward to peoples photos with it.
If the price drops considerably then I'd consider. I use the Fuji X100s to cover this focal length and it does it quite nicely.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Prize in Germany will be more than 2000€.
http://www.gmfoto.de/aufnahme/slr-system/canon/objektive/ef-objektive/canon-ef-35mm-f-1-4-l-ii-usm.html

This is realy expensive, but Zeiss- and Leica-Lenses cost more than twice and it is to be expected, that prize will drop within half an year or so.
Greetings Andy

Upvote 0
sanj said:
Big question to me is how different this lens would look in real life photos compared to 35mm f2 IS? I do not think it is will so radically different to negate the value of IS.

Probably not much difference at f/2. The 35 f/2 IS would vignette more and have softer corners, but who shoots brick walls at f/2? Those that favor a smaller, less expensive lens with IS will opt for the 35 f/2. Those that want or need f/1.4 and superior build/weather resistance will opt for the f/1.4.

Upvote 0
Hector1970 said:
As for the BR element/technology. It will be interesting if this really has longevity. It's an expensive risk you'd take if you are an early adopter. There will be alot of sunlight passing through it, under hot conditions would it degrade.

I would imagine they have it worked out, but it would stink a bit if it turned out that it was designed to last only slightly longer than the service life-time for the lens.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Hector1970 said:

I would imagine they have it worked out, but it would stink a bit if it turned out that it was designed to last only slightly longer than the service life-time for the lens.

Canon have made more and more consistent lenses that are much better put together, ref Roger LensRentals. I believe the 35 L II is probably THE most durable well built lens they have ever made.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered it. Got it for 1619.99 usd. I am excited. I have no L series primes. So this will be my first. I have been waiting for canon to update their lenses.
I did break down and buy the 50A Sigma and while i love it, i would sell it to fund a 50L from canon.
I was almost tempted to wait and save money for a 5ds or 5dIV but i think this will serve me very well.
I am excited! set to be here on thursday the 15th October. Sweet.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Hector1970 said:
Quite an expensive lens for a prime even if its charts are comparable to other more expensive lens.
We'll really have to see some real life shooting to see is it worth it.
Hopefully they have it fully worked out.
It's big and heavy by the look of it.
I hope it is a great lens and I look forward to peoples photos with it.
If the price drops considerably then I'd consider. I use the Fuji X100s to cover this focal length and it does it quite nicely.

Paranoia.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Random Orbits said:
sanj said:
Big question to me is how different this lens would look in real life photos compared to 35mm f2 IS? I do not think it is will so radically different to negate the value of IS.

Probably not much difference at f/2. The 35 f/2 IS would vignette more and have softer corners, but who shoots brick walls at f/2? Those that favor a smaller, less expensive lens with IS will opt for the 35 f/2. Those that want or need f/1.4 and superior build/weather resistance will opt for the f/1.4.

The new L seems significantly better at f/1.4 than the 35mm f/2 ISat f/2.

The mtf of the 35 f/2 IS:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_35mm_f_2_is_usm

Upvote 0

chmteacher

Rebel XSi sold, now 70D
Jul 31, 2013
USA
Congratulations gjones. Show us some pix when it arrives

gjones5252 said:
Went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered it. Got it for 1619.99 usd. I am excited. I have no L series primes. So this will be my first. I have been waiting for canon to update their lenses.
I did break down and buy the 50A Sigma and while i love it, i would sell it to fund a 50L from canon.
I was almost tempted to wait and save money for a 5ds or 5dIV but i think this will serve me very well.
I am excited! set to be here on thursday the 15th October. Sweet.

Upvote 0