Announcing the Results of our 2017 Best of From Canon Poll

ahsanford said:
ScottyP said:
Does the current EF 50mmf/1.4 have the sharpness needed for higher MP counter see with every new body? Isn't there any pressure to release an update for that reason?

It looks like mush on a 5DS R ,especially wide open, on TDP.

...and at LensRentals:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-initial-resolution-tests/

A "battered old copy" of a 50 f/1.4 USM was tested on the 5D3 / 5DS / 5DS R and though detail did improve on the higher res bodies, the jump up was less pronounced than with other higher quality lenses that they looked at.

- A
The Canon EF 50mm F1.4 has image quality equal to Sigma 50 Art ... When used in F8. But used in F1.4 aperture, it's simply mediocre.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ajfotofilmagem said:
The Canon EF 50mm F1.4 has image quality equal to Sigma 50 Art ... When used in F8. But used in F1.4 aperture, it's simply mediocre.

Sure, but you also recognize it's just about the sharpest autofocusing 50 prime Canon sells, right?

The 50L is a hot mess away from center and I'll take jumpy/hunting micro USM over the 50 f/1.8 STM's focusing speed every day of the week.

So I don't use the 50 f/1.4 USM because I love it. I use the 50 f/1.4 USM because it's not the size of a pickle jar and it's the best of three first party AF options for Canon.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:
...it's able to track my daughter on a cantering horse headed toward me, in dim arena lighting...

Horses. It's a good thing you bought your equipment when you did. Nothing like horses to swallow up every cent you have.

Having had horses and boats for many years, horses are a distant competitor to a boat.

Upvote 0
tron said:
ahsanford said:
BigShooter said:
Mostly amateur/semi-pro shooters on here I guess, looking at the results?

Not sure. 2 out of 3 questions only had a choice of what was released this year, so that will naturally tightly box in / flavor the results.

But the wish list question was a bit more open-ended -- choices listed below. What do you think the top vote-getter would be in a more pro-heavy pool of voters? I contend that though pro folks are interested in mirrorless want a very different mirrorless rig than what enthusiast mirrorless people want, but they still want one.

- A
MY order of preference to your interesting list

EOS 5DsMark II (upgrading my 5DsR)
EOS 7DMark III (upgrading my 7D Mark II)
135 f/2L IS (upgrading 135 f/2L)
24-70 2.8L IS (upgrading 24-70 2.8 II if and only if
the IS is better optically since the II zoom is really good)
600 DO IS (OK this depending on price)
Mirrorless
70-200 2.8L IS III (my II version is very good)
200-600 (under revisement since I do have many white fixed lenses)
Anyway I find hard for this to be
1. Up to 600
2. f/5.6 at most
3. Cheap
But you can chose two out of 3 of the above :)

50 1.4 IS
EOS 90D (not interested)
EOS C100 Mark III (not interested)

Sorry for my low preference for the 50 it is not that I do not want it to be made I just prefer other items more.
Not that I would get all of them of course, this was more of a wish list. Some can be obtained I guess if I sell the current editions of the cameras and lenses I have but some like the super telephotos are debatable...

My list and your list are pretty close. My list is

5DSR II (replace existing for landscape assuming improvements in DR, ISO sensitivity and maybe bump in MP)
7D Mark III (replace 5D Mark III as dedicated wildlife body)
600MM DO (replace very heavy 600MM II)

Beyond that I am good with lenses for the moment and the rest of my kit is solid.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RobbieHat said:
tron said:
ahsanford said:
BigShooter said:
Mostly amateur/semi-pro shooters on here I guess, looking at the results?

Not sure. 2 out of 3 questions only had a choice of what was released this year, so that will naturally tightly box in / flavor the results.

But the wish list question was a bit more open-ended -- choices listed below. What do you think the top vote-getter would be in a more pro-heavy pool of voters? I contend that though pro folks are interested in mirrorless want a very different mirrorless rig than what enthusiast mirrorless people want, but they still want one.

- A
MY order of preference to your interesting list

EOS 5DsMark II (upgrading my 5DsR)
EOS 7DMark III (upgrading my 7D Mark II)
135 f/2L IS (upgrading 135 f/2L)
24-70 2.8L IS (upgrading 24-70 2.8 II if and only if
the IS is better optically since the II zoom is really good)
600 DO IS (OK this depending on price)
Mirrorless
70-200 2.8L IS III (my II version is very good)
200-600 (under revisement since I do have many white fixed lenses)
Anyway I find hard for this to be
1. Up to 600
2. f/5.6 at most
3. Cheap
But you can chose two out of 3 of the above :)

50 1.4 IS
EOS 90D (not interested)
EOS C100 Mark III (not interested)

Sorry for my low preference for the 50 it is not that I do not want it to be made I just prefer other items more.
Not that I would get all of them of course, this was more of a wish list. Some can be obtained I guess if I sell the current editions of the cameras and lenses I have but some like the super telephotos are debatable...

My list and your list are pretty close. My list is

5DSR II (replace existing for landscape assuming improvements in DR, ISO sensitivity and maybe bump in MP)
7D Mark III (replace 5D Mark III as dedicated wildlife body)
600MM DO (replace very heavy 600MM II)

Beyond that I am good with lenses for the moment and the rest of my kit is solid.
+1 This is a solid birding/wildlife set. I got the 500mm 4L IS II for weight reasons. So the 600 DO would improve reach and size only. Still extremely tempting but the price will be huge I guess.

Upvote 0
I still believe in a Canon EOS 3D, so in a pro revolutionary system, a DSLR body with a classic design, next to the Sony a9 (or a Canon F1N), not a mirrorless but coupling a large electronic viewfinder just above of the pentaprism with a rail system to focus through the back screen (like the EOS M5), more place to the nose (like the Contax 645 AF or Mamiya one), an electronic shutter speed (up to 1/32.000) and the rotating screen of aEOS 6D Mk II or like the Nikon D850... I don't think than Canon wants to create a mirrorless camera, is not necessary right now, at the moment there are four EOS 5D in the market (DS, DSr, mk III, mk IV), it's time to sell just a 5D Mk IV and create a camera to introduce to professional photographers to the future EOS 1Dx Mk III, a kind of a EOS 1v (body + booster). I know I am just dreaming about to believe than Canon is going to change his commercial strategy, but, it could be a right moment to make something different and traditional, at the same time...

Upvote 0