Annoying Advertising!

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Just wondering if everyone is suffering from an annoying pop up banner advert, full width, static and across the full width of the page?
I don’t have ad blocker enabled for CR as I enjoy the site and understand the advert supported theory and I could scroll past the included in page box adverts, this one is static, covers part of the page and is real annoying with moving, scrolling, flickering content.
Viewing on iPad.
I see me adding CR to my advert blocker blacklist (un white listing it) in the near future!
Included 3 screenshots taken in sequence a as fast as I was allowed to take the next capture.

Cheers, Graham.5789FB79-F758-4BD0-8EBF-5B2596B61423.png6928D15A-294B-4161-87E0-F627C3F111AC.pngCF87D48F-FBD0-4A89-BF49-EB75FCC46B5A.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Folks.
Just wondering if everyone is suffering from an annoying pop up banner advert, full width, static and across the full width of the page?
I don’t have ad blocker enabled for CR as I enjoy the site and understand the advert supported theory and I could scroll past the included in page box adverts, this one is static, covers part of the page and is real annoying with moving, scrolling, flickering content.
Viewing on iPad.
I see me adding CR to my advert blocker blacklist (un white listing it) in the near future!
Included 3 screenshots taken in sequence a as fast as I was allowed to take the next capture.

Cheers, Graham.View attachment 188259View attachment 188257View attachment 188258
yes same here takes up over 40% of my screen just got used to click close trying to read posts

Upvote 0
Yep - same here Graham - started about 3/4 months ago for me. Very annoying as blocks part of the site. I spent about 1 month clicking on the report this ad bit, choosing the "ad blocks page" option, getting a thank you from google saying it will try to stop it in future, but, guess what, no difference. So now, each time a new page loads, I have given up and just click the top left corner X. Doesn't stop it being very annoying. Also sometimes seems to free float up and down the screen until it settles, and you can't close it until its at the bottom.

Have to admit it is putting me off the site a little (even though I realise that ads pay towards Craig's living)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
It is easy to say look for sites that do not do this, but I don’t fancy moving to Nikon or Sony rumours, the financial outlay of changing brand scares me and changing to Nikon or Sony because of the DR of the rumours site would make even less sense than changing because of the DR of the sensors!

Cheers, Graham.

It seems to happen on many web sites as advertisers get more aggressive. Its also frustrating, and I've started to look for sites that do not do this.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've tried those and they were okay. What I use blocks absolutely everything everywhere. Plus+++++ it supports the Texas economy. ;)
It doesn't support the CR economy, which is more relevant here. You use the site more than most. How about your paying $49 towards keeping CR going?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It doesn't support the CR economy, which is more relevant here. You use the site more than most. How about your paying $49 towards keeping CR going?
How about if that were an option to avoid the ads? I've even asked for an affiliate link in forum posts for when I purchase products and got no response (I just spent $8k at Adorama over the last few months. Correction: $12,162 since July 17). Where is the link that gets CR a cut? Is there one? It should be at the top of every page. It should be clearly labeled that that is what it is. Why is it not easy to find? As far as I know there is no tip jar. I'd gladly throw in $5 or $10 a month. Those options should be there. As far as I know they are not. If I don't click an ad, does CR get a penny? Probably not. I never clicked the ads.

What are you willing to throw in each month on a subscription basis or tip jar?

Heck, most of the review sites make it very easy to contribute. Brian Carthanihan, Ken Rockwell, etc, make it easy. Craig should get $$$$ for this site. Sadly, I have not found a way to contribute and don't like the ads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
How about if that were an option to avoid the ads? I've even asked for an affiliate link in forum posts for when I purchase products and got no response (I just spent $8k at Adorama over the last few months). Where is the link that gets CR a cut? Is there one? It should be at the top of every page. It should be clearly labeled that that is what it is. Why is it not easy to find? As far as I know there is no tip jar. I'd gladly throw in $5 or $10 a month. Those options should be there. As far as I know they are not. If I don't click an ad, does CR get a penny? Probably not. I never clicked the ads.

What are you willing to throw in each month on a subscription basis or tip jar?

Heck, most of the review sites make it very easy to contribute. Brian Carthanihan, Ken Rockwell, etc, make it easy. Craig should get $$$$ for this site. Sadly, I have not found a way to contribute and don't like the ads.
Just go here to buy (or have bought) via the Adorama-sponsored link https://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide/

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just go here to buy (or have bought) via the Adorama-sponsored link https://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide/
I've never clicked on the buyers guide, however, it still does not say that CR gets anything by clicking through it. I would appreciate a tip jar also. Overwhelming ads? No thanks. How about you? Wouldn't you like to throw some scratch Craig's way now and then? It will be a long time before I buy anything else. Tip Jar.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CFB.
I would willingly make a donation of a few bucks every now and then to kill the adverts and like you I am never going to buy through the ads, especially as I turn off the ad tuning crap, I mean I just got offered a villa in Spain, yea right apart from ”can’t afford it“, I know of people who bought property in Spain and then got burned!

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi CFB.
I would willingly make a donation of a few bucks every now and then to kill the adverts and like you I am never going to buy through the ads, especially as I turn off the ad tuning crap, I mean I just got offered a villa in Spain, yea right apart from ”can’t afford it“, I know of people who bought property in Spain and then got burned!

Cheers, Graham.
This is the number one site I visit on the web. I love it here. I'd gladly pay $5-$10 into a tip jar each month even to make up for my turning off the ads (I get none). Unfortunately, there are people who complain about paying $12.99 for Adobe too. Seriously, since July 17, 2019 I spent over $12,000 at Adorama switching over to R and buying flash, etc.. I never found anything that said, "Please order through this link to help keep the site going." I know there is a buyer's guide, but it doesn't mention it either and I honestly never clicked on it before yesterday. Nothing steers me in that direction. I guess I am just daft and stupid.

Upvote 0