Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Talys said:
This would be near the top of my "want" list. The combination of focal length, aperture, and IS make it really ideal for headshots.... of my cat :)

I love the 70-200/2.8 IS (a near perfect cat portrait lens, IMO), but it is a bit heavy to hold steady for protracted periods 1 handed... I need a hand for to get her attention and turn this way or that, unless I want to literally wait forever :D :D

f/2.8 or better is a great help for AF when it's quite dark, even though I often have aperture set to f/8 or smaller -- and it's important to do so, because then the cat's eyes fully dilate, and when a flash goes off, with some luck, you can get really nice shots of their eyes.

Ok Ok, I know, nobody cares about my cat :p

During these droughts I have finding models, I have often thought about getting a cat or dog. :)

Upvote 0
I would be torn by this coming out - I'm extremely fond of my current 135L; it has seen a lot of mileage, and I love the look it lends - to both portraits and the odd landscape shot.

It is still such a great lens, but I know that even if nothing else changed, then a coatings update, better weather sealing and IS will make it even greater.

So, GAS may overtake me if/when this comes out, but I'll feel disloyal to the current lens... 8)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
StoicalEtcher said:
I would be torn by this coming out - I'm extremely fond of my current 135L; it has seen a lot of mileage, and I love the look it lends - to both portraits and the odd landscape shot.

It is still such a great lens, but I know that even if nothing else changed, then a coatings update, better weather sealing and IS will make it even greater.

So, GAS may overtake me if/when this comes out, but I'll feel disloyal to the current lens... 8)

The current 135 is a great lens. My favorite for portraits. You are right. Better control of CA, add IS, better weather sealing... those would be fantastic. Even with that, like you, I would feel disloyal. Love the lens that much.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
CanonFanBoy said:
The current 135 is a great lens. My favorite for portraits. You are right. Better control of CA, add IS, better weather sealing... those would be fantastic. Even with that, like you, I would feel disloyal. Love the lens that much.

It's good to see that I'm not the only person that can feel disloyal to a lens that's treated them well :D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Talys said:
CanonFanBoy said:

It's good to see that I'm not the only person that can feel disloyal to a lens that's treated them well :D

Well, after sleeping together for so long, I'd feel lost without her. ;)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve received another mention of a Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM coming in the first half of 2018, we see the CP+ show in Japan as a good time to announce the lens.</p>
<p>We’re told production of the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS will have to meet global demand before the announcement.</p>
<p>We’re also told that the original non-IS version will remain current for some time after the new lens appears.</p>

Any more credible info out there on this lens Craig?

Upvote 0