Another Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Mention [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve received another mention of a Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM coming in the first half of 2018, we see the CP+ show in Japan as a good time to announce the lens.</p>
<p>We’re told production of the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS will have to meet global demand before the announcement.</p>
<p>We’re also told that the original non-IS version will remain current for some time after the new lens appears.</p>

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
midluk said:
LeeBabySimms said:
Please update the 50L with 1.4 and IS before you touch the 135
No, this will not happen. Canon will release an update of every other lens with added IS before a new 50mm.
+1 just because they want to drive one single customer mad ;)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
scyrene said:
brianleighty said:
Pixel said:
I think I'd rather have 2.0 and IS vs 1.8 and no IS like the ART.

The difference between f/1.8 and f/2 is essentially negligable anyway. Everybody raves about the current 135L, I don't recall seeing people complain about the aperture.

Agree. f/1.8 is bragging rights, while 2.0 with IS is a real world benefit. I'm going to start the bidding at $1600, same intro price as the 85.

Upvote 0
Another pricy L glass... Seems to me that Canon now cares only for high-end L glass or shitty APS-C zooms. People who don't need L glass, but who want a better camera/lens (potentially a fullframe) and who would buy lenses like 50mm f/1.4 IS USM or 85mm f/1.8 IS USM are a non-attractive category. I get it, the sales are happening elsewhere. But are there really only two categories? People who buy Rebels and then pros with no price/weight limits?

I always thought the Canon's strategy of not-offering better EF-S glass is to lure people into fullframe. But how many people really jump into fullframe with such a huge money leap? Because it's mostly targetted on pros, the bodies are expensive and so are L lenses (and heavy because f/1.4 etc). The non-L primes are mostly really old. Sure, people could buy older versions of L glass, but that usually means no IS, serious IQ pitfalls and big weight. I would expect Canon to offer more tiers of fullframe bodies and lenses (f/2 or f/2.8, STM, no weather sealing), especially with the potential release of a mirrorless EF fullframe and DSLR sales falling. Canon seems like a split personality, they are luring people in and keeping it an exclusive club at the same time.

Sure, Canon still sells a lot (but mostly Rebels right?), and Canon knows the market best, but it's inevitable that in a couple of years even more people would be happy with cameras in their phones. Which would mean even less people would care for entry-level APS-C cameras. Isn't this the best time to move more people into fullframe, where the prices will inevitably be higher?

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact I am not the market. ;D

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
But will it work with extenders?

For me that's the biggest plus about the 135 2.0L

+1 I would actually prefer the new 85L IS and sell my 135 for it because the focal length would be better for me in a lot of cases. The thing stopping me for now is the ability to travel with the 135 and 1.4x and leave the 100-400 home when I'm needing to get through airports with my gear plus assist 4 kids with their stuff.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
geekpower said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I wonder whether BR will appear here.

As everybody tells you every time you ask this about every new lens, no, BR is only useful for wide angle lenses.

Well, then why don't you explain to me why that is and what makes you say that... other than forum speculation. Show me the facts / data or where Canon says this. Then I'll stop asking. So far only the 35mm f/1.4 II has it. Personally, I think you are wrong. BTW, everybody does not tell me this. Just a few who have no facts to back it up. None.

Geek out over this:
http://lenses.reviewed.com/features/canon-quietly-shows-new-600mm-f4l-do-with-br-optics

Upvote 0