Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Sorry, meant "pretty tough." Meaning that I've found it hard to move the AF point without a joystick (the original discussion being about removing the touch bar and adding a joystick). I also find the back focus button too awkwardly placed for my hand size. it's way too close to the edge and it becomes extremely uncomfortable after a few minuets.
That is one of my biggest worries about the mirrorless system. Real estate. Even though Canon has clearly beaten the rest for ergonomics in relation to body size it is still that bit too small to fit everything comfortably with a bit of resting space in between. Will be interesting to see how they deal with the issue in future iterations of the R series

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Sorry, meant "pretty tough." Meaning that I've found it hard to move the AF point without a joystick (the original discussion being about removing the touch bar and adding a joystick). I also find the back focus button too awkwardly placed for my hand size. it's way too close to the edge and it becomes extremely uncomfortable after a few minuets.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me, I should’ve know that’s what you meant ..

Canon should have added AF-ON on the Touch Bar perhaps also.. I’m not gonna say the AF-ON button is as nice and nicely placed as the 1dx2 for example. In fact, it’s placement nearly was a deal breaker for me since I struggle with joints etc, but my hands aren’t too large so it works for me, fully understand not everybody feels the same about it. They could’ve placed on the rubber directly center underneath the mode dial also

Upvote 0
Why a buffer for 50-100 RAW?
It seems like there are many who shoot with the spray and pray concept even in sports and other action shots.
I cannot conceive of a situation for 100 consecutive shots unless one is just perhaps lazy in technique and just hoping the rapid acquisition of shots will make up for that laziness or perhaps lack of ability.
How did great sports photographers survive with 36 exposures at 3.5 FPS? And then special HS cameras at 10 FPS with 36 exposures?
Just wondering is as a whole there is a laziness and just hoping for a good shot by just holding the shutter down for long periods.
I almost never (actually I have never) shoot 50 shots in a row, but there are situations when the action starts happening that you need to shoot bursts of four or five shots numerous times until the action has stopped. Maybe two animals fighting can last several minutes. I would prefer to have more buffer than I need, especially since I have run through this buffer on both the 5DIII and 5DS a number of times in those types of situations. Just because people didn't have it in the past doesn't make it useful to some people.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me, I should’ve know that’s what you meant ..

Canon should have added AF-ON on the Touch Bar perhaps also.. I’m not gonna say the AF-ON button is as nice and nicely placed as the 1dx2 for example. In fact, it’s placement nearly was a deal breaker for me since I struggle with joints etc, but my hands aren’t too large so it works for me, fully understand not everybody feels the same about it. They could’ve placed on the rubber directly center underneath the mode dial also

I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping that the firmware update adds AF-ON functionality to the entire touch bar. That would basically solve my biggest (or second biggest) problem with the camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
So its rumored to cost 1600$. Will they dig out the undesirable 6D2 sensor to drive this bargain? In an era where Sony delivers its very best at every try and risks self cannibalization to stay competitive; isn't this crap getting a bit old? C'mon Canon.... don't leave us out in the cold again :'(

Another newbie joins to repeat the same Sony fanboy baloney. Welcome to the club!

Sony delivers its very best? You mean after 3 generations they still can't give us a camera that is not ergonomically awful? While the average photographer can't design a sensor, create software, or design a lens, give anyone a clump of clay and they can come up with a design for a more comfortable camera to hold. And while other cameras seem to have done an excellent job with sensor dust removal systems, many Sony users continually are plagued with sensor dust issues. Isn't that crap getting a bit old? :cool::mad::D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So its rumored to cost 1600$. Will they dig out the undesirable 6D2 sensor to drive this bargain? In an era where Sony delivers its very best at every try and risks self cannibalization to stay competitive; isn't this crap getting a bit old? C'mon Canon.... don't leave us out in the cold again :'(

I agree. Most Canon user would defend the move as it's good for business. Sony is also rumored to reduce $200 for their A7III to $1800. They also have trade in as well.

$1800 camera for IBIS, better eyeAF, dual card slot although worst EVF and LCD screen.

Canon has a history of trailing behind the competitions in features. Their camera release is pretty disappointing in many ways like 6D II that had a MSRP of $2000 to $1200-1300.

I bought 5D IV and EOS R (return it). They are both good, but nothing amazing. EOS R do a lot of things better than Sony (EVF, ergonomic, control ring adapter, fully touch screen articulating screen LCD), but some of the thing worst while being more expensive than A7III (eyeAF, dual card slot, no joystick, IBIS).

I'm really tempted to by Panasonic S1 - dual card slot, dual IS, ergonomic, Sony sensor, good color, good video options, eyeAF with deep AI tracking, and Sigma will release 14 L lens with EF-L adapter this year.

I'm in the market for my first FF mirrorless this year. I'm holding on the hope that Canon will offer at least IBIS, newer sensor, better continuous eyeAF, and dual card slot, but I set my expectations accordingly.

Upvote 0
Another newbie joins to repeat the same Sony fanboy baloney. Welcome to the club!

Sony delivers its very best? You mean after 3 generations they still can't give us a camera that is not ergonomically awful? While the average photographer can't design a sensor, create software, or design a lens, give anyone a clump of clay and they can come up with a design for a more comfortable camera to hold. And while other cameras seem to have done an excellent job with sensor dust removal systems, many Sony users continually are plagued with sensor dust issues. Isn't that crap getting a bit old? :cool::mad::D

Newbie here with a good amount of high speed L glass hoping to have something as good as a D850 or A7R3 to strap it to. We pay the same money is that asking too much?

Stockholm syndrome much?

Ergonomics? That touch bar on the EOS R is goofery.

Upvote 0
I'm really tempted to by Panasonic S1 - dual card slot, dual IS, ergonomic, Sony sensor, good color, good video options, eyeAF with deep AI tracking, and Sigma will release 14 L lens with EF-L adapter this year.

I'm in the market for my first FF mirrorless this year. I'm holding on the hope that Canon will offer at least IBIS, newer sensor, better continuous eyeAF, and dual card slot, but I set my expectations accordingly.

I'm not asking for much; AF competitive with Nikon's D850, stacked sensor for the almighty DR, and IBIS not because I bathe in taurine but have the option for some sensor shift goodness. DP-RAW is great, imagine DP-RAWx4.

Patent after patent after bloody patent and they hack the 6D2 lemon up and serve it for 4 figures?

Upvote 0
I'm not asking for much; AF competitive with Nikon's D850, stacked sensor for the almighty DR, and IBIS not because I bathe in taurine but have the option for some sensor shift goodness. DP-RAW is great, imagine DP-RAWx4.

Patent after patent after bloody patent and they hack the 6D2 lemon up and serve it for 4 figures?

I don't think Canon will ever give us D850 camera which is arguably one of the best DSLR ever made and it has been released more than a year ago.

Canon has a patent of BSI illuminated sensor and I haven't seen any stacked sensor patents let alone implementing it . They are behind when it come sensor not just Sony but Nikon as well. Panasonic is still unknown.

Canon did come out and say the industry is contracting. "Additionally, we will also promote change in the distribution of internal resources, from development to production as well as sales & marketing." I think this mean they are shy away from spending more R&D for less profitable higher end market but aim to release a lot of lower end model EOS R model. They will follow the money which isn't wrong but they aren't the camera manufacturer for me.

They will slice and dice EOS R and using recycle sensor instead of investing R&D into things you and me may prefer - sensor, IBIS, continuous eyeAF. I don't do video so DPAF so it's meaningless to me. They will always be protecting their camera from their cinema line and DSLR until they have no choice to cannibalize DSLR. That's why they are the last company to have IBIS, uncropped 4K, and no card slot (same with Nikon).

Upvote 0
Its a sad reality, the D850 really is just too good for any money. I'm holding position this year, my canon gear continues to do quite well but if they decide that the 6D2 sensor belongs in this new EOS R, my goose will be cooked. Canon has mad lens game these days, why not have the body to match? Do they want Sony to just eventually run away with their pro market too? After all Canon has done to have the most recognizable camera system in sports and competition... SMH.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You are in the market for your first mirrorless FF camera this year? You do know the 5D IV (Your sig says you still have), 6D, and the R you returned were all FF, right? So you already have a FF camera. What gives, dude? Your Sigma 12-24 is an Art lens? Do you really own any of that? Or are are a troll from Sony?
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practise to deceive!" -- Walter Scott

OP was referring to FF mirrorless specifically: "... I'm in the market for my first FF mirrorless this year..." I recon, apologies are in order.

I am in the market for my first FF _mirrorless_ 5D level body this or next year depending on availability of the pro level body from Canon. no, not changing the system anytime soon.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
OP was referring to FF mirrorless specifically: "... I'm in the market for my first FF mirrorless this year..." I recon, apologies are in order.

I am in the market for my first FF _mirrorless_ 5D level body this or next year depending on availability of the pro level body from Canon. no, not changing the system anytime soon.
You are correct! My apologies to Bokehmon22.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I’m so sick and tired of all the negative bullish!t from trolls around this forum lately... it used to be fun here.... and every time someone slams the eos r for example I wish I could take them out for a day and REALLY show them what that camera is about, I would change their mind in 20 minutes and convince most of them to get one by the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You are correct! My apologies to Bokehmon22.
No worry I do own all my cameras and equipments. I can promise you that I'm not trolling just frustrated long time Canon user who is looking for professional FF mirrorless that has never switch and been waiting for Canon to come out with 5DIV equivalent model for a looong time. They don't want my money.

I did buy EOS R and decided to return it. It's a great back up body to 5DIV but it's a side grade only. With so many FF mirrorless competitions, I figure 2019 is a better year to buy a new model. Maybe A7SIII/A9II, Panasonic S1, or EOS R Pro. I have around $3500 to spend on a new camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

DPAF and DP-RAW are two totally different implementations using the "split" pixel wells on some Canon sensors. Only a very few top tier EOS cameras (5D IV, EOS R, and additional cameras to be named later) do DP-RAW. DPAF deals with AF while shooting video or stills, DP-RAW deals with two slightly different versions of the raw files for still images that can be adjusted after the fact.

Anyone who calls the 6D2 a "lemon" with an "undesirable" sensor has obviously never actually used one and is just parroting what the spec-sheet worshipping YouTubers say to get clicks.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I’m so sick and tired of all the negative bullish!t from trolls around this forum lately... it used to be fun here.... and every time someone slams the eos r for example I wish I could take them out for a day and REALLY show them what that camera is about, I would change their mind in 20 minutes and convince most of them to get one by the end of the day.
I'm not so sure. Rose tinted glasses about the past I think. I don't think its any more negative than its ever been. People are always complaining. Canon users have been annoyed for years. It's always been a cross between die-hard Canon disciples, Trolls, Doom and Gloom Merchants and those who get disappointed with Canon from time to time. This mis-mash is the fun of the forum. If everyone was happy with the EOS-R it would be very boring.

Upvote 0
DPAF and DP-RAW are two totally different implementations using the "split" pixel wells on some Canon sensors. Only a very few top tier EOS cameras (5D IV, EOS R, and additional cameras to be named later) do DP-RAW. DPAF deals with AF while shooting video or stills, DP-RAW deals with two slightly different versions of the raw files for still images that can be adjusted after the fact.

Anyone who calls the 6D2 a "lemon" with an "undesirable" sensor has obviously never actually used one and is just parroting what the spec-sheet worshipping YouTubers say to get clicks.

We have DP RAW as it is a co-product of the DPAF sensor design and I hope it sees further development and adoption in the future. The 6DII is a lemon, RAW files from my 5DIV are substantially better than those from my old 5dIII to which the 6DII's sensor shares some charactaristics (off board ADC, low DR). The 5DIII is no lemon because it was released in 2012 but to selling that same technology in 2017 and today is just appalling.

Upvote 0