Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

I’m so sick and tired of all the negative bullish!t from trolls around this forum lately... it used to be fun here.... and every time someone slams the eos r for example I wish I could take them out for a day and REALLY show them what that camera is about, I would change their mind in 20 minutes and convince most of them to get one by the end of the day.
But thats the rub; my 5D4 was released in 2016 and your EOS R was released 2 years later and the pictures would only be different because of the improved RF glass. Why not a body and brain befitting of the genitals?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
But thats the rub; my 5D4 was released in 2016 and your EOS R was released 2 years later and the pictures would only be different because of the improved RF glass. Why not a body and brain befitting of the genitals?
I constantly every day get pictures I couldn’t get with the 1dx2. These cameras are very different. A lot thanks to the DPAF and EVF. If there is no AF point where I want it, there is no af point there. If the VF is optical it isn’t electronic. If the camera is lighter it isn’t heavier . I don’t understand why people in the market for a 5d4 complains about the R at all. I was in the market for a superb 50mm, somehow I manage to not constantly complain about a 24-105mm...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Im just hoping Canon RF is a worthy system before Sony takes the market and never lets it go again. If the system isnt competitive, the money disappears and we wont get updates or RF versions of those lenses and features that put Canon ahead all of these past years.

What did Canon do to overtake Nikon? Are they ever willing to do it again?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Im just hoping Canon RF is a worthy system before Sony takes the market and never lets it go again. If the system isnt competitive, the money disappears and we wont get updates or RF versions of those lenses and features that put Canon ahead all of these past years.

What did Canon do to overtake Nikon? Are they ever willing to do it again?
Sony is loosing market shares to Canon every month....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Stiff competition? Ya don't say.... Recycling technology that would have been modern in 2013 isn't how one goes up against "stiff competition".

The seldom seen 1500$ kid in the full frame space, the Nikon D610, already has more DR than this presumed lemon-lime. And what year was it released?

We pay D850/A7R3 money for less of everything? Why?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Stiff competition? Ya don't say.... Recycling technology that would have been modern in 2013 isn't how one goes up against "stiff competition".

The seldom seen 1500$ kid in the full frame space, the Nikon D610, already has more DR than this presumed lemon-lime. And what year was it released?

We pay D850/A7R3 money for less of everything? Why?
Why? Because your ridiculous clame isn’t facts, that’s why...

Upvote 0

Doesn't that show Canon's FF mirrorless marketshare drop from 22% to 17% from October to December? By December, Sony and Nikon both show an upward trend. Btw, both of these reports originate from "bcnretail" data in Japan. Sony also shows 4% growth in their IP&S segment within their recent Q3 reports, so it doesn't appear they are doing too badly since market share doesn't translate directly into sales. Sony's FY2017 forecast showed a pretty flat projection, but it looks like their FY2018 will show modest growth overall. We'll have to wait and see what happens this year.

Upvote 0
Why? Because your ridiculous clame isn’t facts, that’s why...

I claIm :

Autofocus - Nikon D850 D500 do it better
Dynamic Range - Nikon, Sony do it better
IBIS for Dual IS - Sony, and Olympus have it
Video stuff - Everyone does it better

Lens Selection - Canon has got it and seems to want to keep it

Want to keep this up? Is wanting better such a sin ? 5d4 sensor is one thing but the 6d2 sensor has no business in the next generation of Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Many of us don't care about necessarily having the best gear because if we obsessed about it we'd never take a photo. If other gear is best that means you can take advantage of that and produce better photos and that's a win for you. Myself, I've never been the best at anything I can recall and anytime I thought getting more expensive gear would make me better it didn't work i.e. a $2500 guitar.;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I claIm :

Autofocus - Nikon D850 D500 do it better
Dynamic Range - Nikon, Sony do it better
IBIS for Dual IS - Sony, and Olympus have it
Video stuff - Everyone does it better

Lens Selection - Canon has got it and seems to want to keep it

Want to keep this up? Is wanting better such a sin ? 5d4 sensor is one thing but the 6d2 sensor has no business in the next generation of Canon cameras.
The D850 costs over 2000 USD more than the R here. I buy video gear for video, besides, the R has gotten rightful credit for being some of the bes FHD video there is. It’s all this talking down about the R that just shows me you haven’t used it, it’s just repeating wrong info. About IS, there is enough info about why Canon has kept it, for now, in the lenses. I don’t need IBIS, and I’m really glad Canon spent money where it matters in the R. And I’m not alone this, otherwise they wouldn’t have sold any.

Dynamic Range is more than enough in the R, the claimed banding is just when using flash and IRL this hasn’t been even a slight issue because I control exposure of both subject and background. I enjoy the insanely accurate AF I can place anywhere and the superb screen and EVF that neither Sony or Nikon has. The lenses are the best there is. And that’s where Canon spent money and the sensor was already fantastic.

People always fail to se WHY something is more expensive than some other stuff.

I was recently shopping for a new vacuum cleaner, they all cost between 100 and 1000 USD, all the specs looked nearly identical and the seller didn’t know the difference either, I found tests, but they contradicted the user reviews. So tell me again how specs is the difference between cameras...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Animal EYE-AF might be needed in other cameras, but in the R it just finds the eyes and misses the nose and forehead with normal tracking and I can place the AF point far enough to the side to not crop at the tail etc. I then get very sharp results at f1.2, neither Sony, Olympus or Nikon can actually do this shot in the same way. A simple snap... this is just raw to jpeg in camera to iPhone.

Attachments

• 5ABA5E3B-6661-4F1F-87EF-EB808514208E.jpeg
    5ABA5E3B-6661-4F1F-87EF-EB808514208E.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0
Many of us don't care about necessarily having the best gear because if we obsessed about it we'd never take a photo. If other gear is best that means you can take advantage of that and produce better photos and that's a win for you. Myself, I've never been the best at anything I can recall and anytime I thought getting more expensive gear would make me better it didn't work i.e. a $2500 guitar.;)

Jack
Quite true. I remember attending a Vincent Versace talk as part of some photoclub that I never bothered joining where everyone dogged the guy out to find out what his gear was. It was the one time that the notepads came out. In the elevator down, I told a lady that the gear doesent matter and she was quite appalled in disbelief of it. They all do the same thing; I have 10x more speeding tickets from my white pickup truck than my bright orange sports car.

For the record; I'm going to get an EOS R when either 1/ they offer a pancake lens 2/ it becomes a useful functional upgrade to my much loved 5d4.

If you don't mind my asking; how does one get so close to these feisty little birds? Are you using some sort of hunting shelter?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Quite true. I remember attending a Vincent Versace talk as part of some photoclub that I never bothered joining where everyone dogged the guy out to find out what his gear was. It was the one time that the notepads came out. In the elevator down, I told a lady that the gear doesent matter and she was quite appalled in disbelief of it. They all do the same thing; I have 10x more speeding tickets from my white pickup truck than my bright orange sports car.

For the record; I'm going to get an EOS R when either 1/ they offer a pancake lens 2/ it becomes a useful functional upgrade to my much loved 5d4.

If you don't mind my asking; how does one get so close to these feisty little birds? Are you using some sort of hunting shelter?

A few years ago I made the effort to chop out a part of the roof of a small barn attic and add a turret of sorts that upon stepping on a stool puts me at eye level to a rigidly mounted gimbal that the (then) 300 lens was suspended from. I made sure there was always food around and over a period of time many visitors would come. There is a nice group of trees there and and the lighting is appropriate. I have, way back, posted shots of this very tedious project that has worked exceedingly well. There is a heater, and an easy chair to read in while watching a monitor that displays the view up where the camera resides. The photo is the only one I could find of the unfinished job. This chickadee shot is one out of maybe 3 or 4 hundred that was acceptable - no AF is capable of this, it takes time and planning, that was shot from there. The nuthatch was shot from there too. BTW - shot with the terrible, much maligned 6D.

So, for your best close shots some sort of hidden shooting is the way to go but one can luck out anywhere, anytime, as demonstrated by the fox, provided you have your gear ready like grandpa used to have his gun ready, loaded, standing in the back entrance until grandma blew her top.

I need decent gear but not the best to get very acceptable photos,Chickadee landing_24164.JPGRed-breasted Nuthatch_29982.JPGCat and fox_33505.JPGObservatory_20870.JPG provided I put in the effort. It's my wife who's always pushing me to spend more to upgrade!;)

Wonder why we don't see more photos in these threads? Specs are easier to brow beat with and impress some folk more.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0