Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

So, for your best close shots some sort of hidden shooting is the way to go but one can luck out anywhere, anytime, as demonstrated by the fox, provided you have your gear ready like grandpa used to have his gun ready, loaded, standing in the back entrance until grandma blew her top.

This is great stuff, your gear is your barn setup! I don't hunt, but always wondered if hunting techniques would be helpful for this application. See, the issue I have it that my back yard is canopied by tall trees which the birds truly love but also block good light for much of the day especially in the summer time. But I get a few from time to time. The attached pine warbler was taken with my further dismal 5d3 and the first version of the non IS 300/2.8 and a 2x extender while hiding behind an Air Conditioning unit in my pajamas. The robin was one of the first taken with my 5d4 with the same lenses and a 600RT from behind a tall prickly shrub. I think i can park my truck beside a creep myrtle , bait it with food and just quietly sit in the driver's seat with the windows down waiting.

That chickadee shot is just awesome, those things are fast and always needling each other (survival training?), I truthfully couldnt begin to understand how you pulled that off. Thanks for posting the nuthatch, thats one of my all time favorite birds - very admirable in their family structures.

cheers!

Attachments

• _74A1479.jpg
    _74A1479.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 146
  • _18_4494.jpg
    _18_4494.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 139
  • _74A1627-4.jpg
    _74A1627-4.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This is great stuff, your gear is your barn setup! I don't hunt, but always wondered if hunting techniques would be helpful for this application. See, the issue I have it that my back yard is canopied by tall trees which the birds truly love but also block good light for much of the day especially in the summer time. But I get a few from time to time. The attached pine warbler was taken with my further dismal 5d3 and the first version of the non IS 300/2.8 and a 2x extender while hiding behind an Air Conditioning unit in my pajamas. The robin was one of the first taken with my 5d4 with the same lenses and a 600RT from behind a tall prickly shrub. I think i can park my truck beside a creep myrtle , bait it with food and just quietly sit in the driver's seat with the windows down waiting.

That chickadee shot is just awesome, those things are fast and always needling each other (survival training?), I truthfully couldnt begin to understand how you pulled that off. Thanks for posting the nuthatch, thats one of my all time favorite birds - very admirable in their family structures.

cheers!

So all I can say is if you have/had a 5D3 and 300 2.8 (hopefully X2) then you're set for a high percentage of what is required for bird photography. Shooting from a vehicle works well for sure. A portable blind is good too and here is the killer that many don't realize; just sitting still in a lawn chair in the bush gets me many shots and a peaceful moment to reflect or even read a book while waiting. A fair amount of wildlife are frightened by movement and/or a person standing.

I understand the desire for features but for my shooting the only feature that has really helped me so far is FPS relative to catching a more desirable pose of a creature in movement. More culling though. Now, FPS + more MPs + great high ISO, that would be awesome but the these tend to work against one another.

Jack

Upvote 0
Wonder why we don't see more photos in these threads? Specs are easier to brow beat with and impress some folk more.

Jack
We can go have a post somwhere else then
So all I can say is if you have/had a 5D3 and 300 2.8 (hopefully X2) then you're set for a high percentage of what is required for bird photography. Shooting from a vehicle works well for sure. A portable blind is good too and here is the killer that many don't realize; just sitting still in a lawn chair in the bush gets me many shots and a peaceful moment to reflect or even read a book while waiting. A fair amount of wildlife are frightened by movement and/or a person standing.

Jack

Good idea. I used to mess with rocks and stuff on some tables against the house less than 10 ft away from the feeders just to turn around and realize the birds had all returned to eating and had completely ignored me. Of course I hadn't a camera with me. They may be attuned to the appearance of a camera, a hummingbird once chased me down from across the yard to get a better look at the 300/2.8. That lens has a minimum focus distance of around 3m (the new one is 2m I think) which has definitely cost a few good shots. I also think a gimble is needed, full hand holding gets to be cumbersome. Whatever the shot is, its achievable with this 5D4.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Later R camera could be also R mark ii ,with ibis and pixel shift . sounds too big leap from 50 to 100mpixel.
I dont know if they yet need move all dslr camera lines to mirrorless , lowpixel 5 line and consumer 6 line sounds enough atm?

Lots of questions presently without answers. You could be right. I'm convinced the next R after RP, will be along the lines of the 5DSR but can't believe the MPs will double.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0