Another how much is enough :-)

Mar 23, 2016
USA
Maximilian said:
Labdoc said:
My understanding is that Canon lets you choose 24MP on the 5Ds but the file is still 50MP but with the edges cropped. If you could really choose the file size it wouldn't be a big deal for storage and manipulation most of the time, except for the files you want at 50MP.
There are different opportunities, just read the manual:
You can choose between file size, RAW (50MP) mRAW (28MP) and sRAW (12MP), that means using the whole FF sensor surface with all advantages of light gathering and DOF but downsampling the data to the MP size mentioned above.

And you can also crop to APS-H (1.3x, 30.5 MP) or APS-C (1.6x, 19.6 MP), that means using a smaller area of the sensor but maintaining the 1 to 1 data from each pixel. But here you'll lose the thin DOF and light gathering advantage of tha FF sensor and just crop already on the camera.

You can also change the aspect ratio but that's up to you to read.

All three are modi I don't need and I don't want to use.
If they're fine for you, go get a 5Ds(R).

Regardless, the MP race will go on. Just progress and competition. I'm old enough to remember my first 16 bit 286 computer with a 20 MB hard drive and that was state of the art then. No way out of this, just upgrade and move on.
And I am old enough to remember that program code was loaded from punch card and Datasette and took ages. Here we have a huge advantage in speed and killed it even faster by making OS (!) that are now needing 1 GB and more on HDD and several hundred MB on RAM. What did we gain here? Not so much over GEM, AmigaOS, Max OS or Linux, IMO. One thing, of course: higher graphic processing power and therefore the ability to process 50MP pictures ;)

Thanks for the info, might do 5Ds, just waiting to see the specs on the 5D MK4. Didn't want to mention the 8 bit punch card systems I used in the Navy, seems like a million years ago.

Upvote 0
I posted this query on another forum with , as you could imagine, a variety of responses.

"I've got numerous 22 MP (12.5 x 18.75) images that are stellar @ 200% magnification...
I am also anal retentive about having prints capable of nose-length viewing distance.

What is the best way to up-size that 22 MP image to something in the area of 24 x 36" and
maintain that same print nose length viewing distance?"

As my only interest is metal prints via a major printing dealer...would I be wise in having them
up-size or do it myself in PS CC?

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
arthurbikemad said:

Good man! If you're not used to the size of such a big lens it seems absolutely huge when you first take it out of the case but you do get used to it. I'm not a fan of the sort of lens cap you get with it so use Op/Tech hood hats. Cheap enough and you can fold 'em up into a pocket when not in use (or stick it on a small child's head like a beret).

Anyway, enjoy Christmas in August - sharper than a sharp thing and hardly any loss of quality with the 1.4x mk3. The 2x mk3 can still give very sharp results but the lens has to be rock steady and nail the focus.

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
arthurbikemad said:

Good man! If you're not used to the size of such a big lens it seems absolutely huge when you first take it out of the case but you do get used to it. I'm not a fan of the sort of lens cap you get with it so use Op/Tech hood hats. Cheap enough and you can fold 'em up into a pocket when not in use (or stick it on a small child's head like a beret).

Anyway, enjoy Christmas in August - sharper than a sharp thing and hardly any loss of quality with the 1.4x mk3. The 2x mk3 can still give very sharp results but the lens has to be rock steady and nail the focus.

Cheers GuyF, will hunt out a hood for the new lens, can't wait to get shooting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Labdoc said:
Maximilian said:
Labdoc said:
My understanding is that Canon lets you choose 24MP on the 5Ds but the file is still 50MP but with the edges cropped. If you could really choose the file size it wouldn't be a big deal for storage and manipulation most of the time, except for the files you want at 50MP.
There are different opportunities, just read the manual:
You can choose between file size, RAW (50MP) mRAW (28MP) and sRAW (12MP), that means using the whole FF sensor surface with all advantages of light gathering and DOF but downsampling the data to the MP size mentioned above.

And you can also crop to APS-H (1.3x, 30.5 MP) or APS-C (1.6x, 19.6 MP), that means using a smaller area of the sensor but maintaining the 1 to 1 data from each pixel. But here you'll lose the thin DOF and light gathering advantage of tha FF sensor and just crop already on the camera.

You can also change the aspect ratio but that's up to you to read.

All three are modi I don't need and I don't want to use.
If they're fine for you, go get a 5Ds(R).

Regardless, the MP race will go on. Just progress and competition. I'm old enough to remember my first 16 bit 286 computer with a 20 MB hard drive and that was state of the art then. No way out of this, just upgrade and move on.
And I am old enough to remember that program code was loaded from punch card and Datasette and took ages. Here we have a huge advantage in speed and killed it even faster by making OS (!) that are now needing 1 GB and more on HDD and several hundred MB on RAM. What did we gain here? Not so much over GEM, AmigaOS, Max OS or Linux, IMO. One thing, of course: higher graphic processing power and therefore the ability to process 50MP pictures ;)

Thanks for the info, might do 5Ds, just waiting to see the specs on the 5D MK4. Didn't want to mention the 8 bit punch card systems I used in the Navy, seems like a million years ago.

The worst part was dropping a stack. :'(

Upvote 0