Another mention of a 70+ megapixel EOS R camera

Mar 2, 2012
If you are going to display the image on the LCD screen, then you need to process the RAW files, and in order to get the colour information you have to read each pixel. Obviously, Canon has already written the software to do so
Michael was suggesting, I believe, that some subset of the full resolution is rendered for the live view display. It’s plausible but I have no idea if it’s true.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Michael was suggesting, I believe, that some subset of the full resolution is rendered for the live view display. It’s plausible but I have no idea if it’s true.
It is true. For people who want to know stuff about the internal workings of Canon's non-dual pixel cameras, the magic lantern forum contains a ton of information.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There won’t be one “pro” body, there will be several high end bodies.

Expect a high megapixel body, a good wedding shooter body (like 5D4), and a sports body (like the 1DX2). Obviously, they are not all being released at the same time.

Note that the sales for the lower end bodies should be far higher numbers for the lower units plus some who buy lower units will then go on to buy higher units. Fot sales reasons, it makes sense to release the lower units first.

Remember too, these are rumours. It is rumoured that a high megapixel body is coming. That does not mean it is next, or even if it will arrive at all.

P.S. when you use words like turd and joke in a post you essentially remove yourself from a reasoned discussion and invite attacks.

The 6Dii was a turd and the 5Ds was such a niche camera aimed at such a small number of shooters that hardly anyone bought it. Those are the first two mirrorless versions you want to make? Really? Not a mirrorless 5DIV or 1DxII which are much better cameras and much better sellers? Pure stupidity on Canon's part. Besides, the EOS R is the mirrorless 5DIV Im sure. Canon is inept, they lack the ability to keep up with Sony in processors and sensors. They don't have a prayer at making anything to keep up with the a9. They should just stick to making lenses, thats always been their strength anyways.

Upvote 0
You can't even punctuate and you're going to tell the company that utterly dominates the IL camera market how to do its job? If "pure stupidity" is the secret to market dominance, I imagine you will go far!

They dominated the DSLR space by catering to people who like dirt cheap cameras. Hardly anything to brag about.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 6Dii was a turd and the 5Ds was such a niche camera aimed at such a small number of shooters that hardly anyone bought it. Those are the first two mirrorless versions you want to make? Really? Not a mirrorless 5DIV or 1DxII which are much better cameras and much better sellers? Pure stupidity on Canon's part. Besides, the EOS R is the mirrorless 5DIV Im sure. Canon is inept, they lack the ability to keep up with Sony in processors and sensors. They don't have a prayer at making anything to keep up with the a9. They should just stick to making lenses, thats always been their strength anyways.
Please go back to your cave. You are boring the grownups in the room.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just wondering - why are those based on jpg, even if the camera is set to record raw?

Must be frustrating for those in the know. I, with limited background having read through the thread at 2 AM would say it's all there. In other words a re-read may be in order if that question still remains.

A dumb question from me. If I shoot fully manual relative to exposure and end up with my birdie pics having some highlight blinkies and then use DPP to adjust to what I believe is overall a correct exposure, what have I lost in terms of quality. Does a bit of +- shadow or highlight adjustment really degrade my shots that much? I have no photographic training other than shooting and reading articles and that's where I presently am at - perhaps ignorance is bliss.:confused:

Jack

Upvote 0
Must be frustrating for those in the know. I, with limited background having read through the thread at 2 AM would say it's all there. In other words a re-read may be in order if that question still remains.

If everyone read the forums and did google searches for the subject they are debating the forums would likely die.
Ignorance is one of the basic building blocks for internet forums
well...
that and 3rd grade English teachers looking to hone their skills by being the grammar police.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I don't think the question was answered (well, maybe it was answered, but only with, "Because Canon said so," which I didn't find an acceptable answer from my parents and I don't think so here, either.

Just wondering - why are those based on jpg, even if the camera is set to record raw?
Unfortunately, I think the answer really is, because Canon said so. We could speculate until the cows come home as to their motivation, but we can't know. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the LCD review display has to show an 8-bit image, and it's logical for the histogram and highlight warnings to be consistent with that image. Maybe this was said above (I didn't go back and look) but even if you're shooting RAW the camera does a jpg conversion for the review display and to save as a thumbnail in the .CR2/.CR3 container (that's why, for example, some RAW converters show a low-res image that is quickly refined into a high res image – that low res image is the .jpg preview in the file container that is displayed while the RAW data are loaded).

A dumb question from me. If I shoot fully manual relative to exposure and end up with my birdie pics having some highlight blinkies and then use DPP to adjust to what I believe is overall a correct exposure, what have I lost in terms of quality. Does a bit of +- shadow or highlight adjustment really degrade my shots that much? I have no photographic training other than shooting and reading articles and that's where I presently am at - perhaps ignorance is bliss.:confused:
The consequence is an increase in shadow noise. If the ISO isn't too high to begin with and the exposure lift is not that much, you may not even notice it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The 6D2 was a well received camera by the buying public. That made it a success. The Mirrorless version of it is also a great financial success. The RP is also a great financial success. You have to understand that it is the lower end cameras that generate most of the revenue, and quite frankly, as a shooter of higher end gear, I prefer that Canon gets the bugs out before they release a camera that I want.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I would strongly suspect that you are right, but then again, since canon has the ability to output small JPGs, once again the software is already written

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I would strongly suspect that you are right, but then again, since canon has the ability to output small JPGs, once again the software is already written
And also the display is much lower resolution than the sensor, so it must scale. It probably scales as soon as necessary so as to not create a bottleneck.

Upvote 0
well...
that and 3rd grade English teachers looking to hone their skills by being the grammar police.

Yes, it's easy to pick on people who speak English as a 2nd language, especially as they're participating in an informal conversation, not trying to pass the TOEFL exam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The vast majority of folks including those on CR are decent and like myself are not the least bit interested in putting anyone down who does their best to converse in English but are ESL. What generally provokes negativity is not comments which have grammar issues, rather the idiotic comments such as have been referenced here regarding one individual who really has nothing to contribute.

Jack

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I still see walls of white lenses at sports events and the White House. That's probably not a feather in Canon's cap either I'm sure.

Why are you on this forum anyway? You clearly don't think well of Canon so I can't imagine you're using the system. You're apparently a new member but I hear from a couple members that they've already blocked you. They won't be the last at the rate you're going.
We all know that pro- photographers mount their big whites on dirt-cheap EOS 1 cameras. :ROFLMAO:
It seems to be a favorite sport for some forum "members" to distort reality, in order to ridicule whatever isn't sold by their beloved company (no need to name it...)

Upvote 0