Another Nikon full-frame

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Orangutan said:
My guess is a D620. It'll be what the D610 would have been if the D610 hadn't been what the D600 should have been. ;D I.e., they'll give something like the D810 treatment to the D610.

Yeah, that's what I figure as well. Nikon and Canon definitely take different approaches. Canon, given the 7D II saga, definitely seems to take their pretty little time designing a camera they thing will last for years. Nikon seems to iterate, make little improvements every year and release a new model.

Personally, I am not sure I'd want the camera I spent several grand on to be updated a year after I purchased it...it would be rather irksome, to think that I spent so much money on something that...wasn't done right the first time around... But, that's just me.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
jrista said:
Yeah, that's what I figure as well. Nikon and Canon definitely take different approaches. Canon, given the 7D II saga, definitely seems to take their pretty little time designing a camera they thing will last for years. Nikon seems to iterate, make little improvements every year and release a new model.

Canon does that, too, at least in the Rebel line.

T1i: 2009
T2i: 2010
T3i: 2011
T4i: 2012
T5i: 2013

Can the T6i be far behind?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
More isn't better. With yearly upgrades, the camera depreciates like crazy.

On the other hand, let them innovate and keep pressure on canon, we can only benefit. Granted Canon are slow to introduce new models by comparison, but generally, more cautious and value is retained longer.

sek

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
dgatwood said:
jrista said:

The rebel is different. It's marketed at a type of consumer group that expects products to remain up to date. Totally different, IMO, than more professional products like the D610 and D810 or 5D III.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

jrista said:
dgatwood said:
jrista said:

The rebel is different. It's marketed at a type of consumer group that expects products to remain up to date. Totally different, IMO, than more professional products like the D610 and D810 or 5D III.

yep.

i have no problems that canon updates the rebels that often.
but when a 2600 euro camera is replaced after only 12 month that would be bad.

olympus and panasonic with their m43 lines are even worse i think.
i have the feeling you buy one and when you have read through the manual they announce a new camera. ::)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
jrista said:
Orangutan said:
My guess is a D620. It'll be what the D610 would have been if the D610 hadn't been what the D600 should have been. ;D I.e., they'll give something like the D810 treatment to the D610.

Personally, I am not sure I'd want the camera I spent several grand on to be updated a year after I purchased it...it would be rather irksome, to think that I spent so much money on something that...wasn't done right the first time around... But, that's just me.

Marketing strategy from Nikon. The company is under immense pressure from Mitsubishi to pull its weight and sell more units. Personally I agree that at this cost level it's more likely to irritate people.

But look on the bright side; think of the forums. We constantly get people posting about waiting for the next model: 'should I buy the 6D now or wait for the 6DII' etc. well with Nikon it would actually have some meaning. Should I buy the D810 or wait for the D820 ? But if I wait anyway maybe wait just a little longer for the D830. You could have pages and pages dedicated to this type of thing that would actually have some meaning.

I mean when the 7DII is announced who's going to be the first person to post.........

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

dilbert said:
How soon after you bought your computer was it replaced by something better?
And your mobile phone?

what better? cpus are making marginal increases these days.
from a sandy bridge to a haswell CPU you barely gain 20-30% performance.
only when you want to use the internal GPU it makes sense to update.

during the 90s i updated my CPU/MOBO every 12-18 month.

now i have a 4 core sandy bridge overclocked to 4.5 GHz for 3 years and i would not gain much from buying a new computer.

but i agree... most people are stupid... that´s why they think updating from a 600D to a 650D makes sense.

don´t get me started with the "smart"phone madness. ::)

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
In the '80s, Israeli cars had 7 digits license plates with the last two indicating on what year was the car manufactured, e.g. if the license plate was xx-xxx-86, the car was manufactured on 1986. The inevitable result was that some people bought a new car every year just for show. They had a psychological need / motivation to be seen driving a new car. By 1990, the government decided this isn't good for anyone, and changed the scheme.

The camera manufacturers do the same thing in order to boost their bottom lines: put the model number in the front of the camera and get some photographers upgrade their cameras just for show.

As for pros, I went to a photographer's wedding. The photographer he hired came with a 5Dmk-something and an EF 28–80mm f/2.8–4L USM because it's lighter than the 24-105, faster on the wide end, and saves money. I think of him no less than I think of photographers with the latest & greatest shiny lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Nikon is just trying to backpedal from their Df "retro-disaster". I expect the Df to be discontinued soon after the new FF model is relesased. Ideally, Nikoanians would be given the choice between D810 (36 MP) and a D810H (with 16 MP Hi-ISO sensor, one step improved from D4/Df sensor) - everything else absolutely identical - body, controls, battery, etc. - and pricing. Both at 2500 ... matching 5D III. I am sure such a dual setup [ D810 / D810H ] would appeal to many Nikon users.

I´d love to see Canon following that move ... instead of ONE 5D IV ... two of them: a 5D-X with 24MP/10 fps sensor plus a 5D-H with 40+ MP/5 fps sensor. Everything identical except resolution, fps and max ISO.
And then offer them separately and also as "2-body kit" @ 33% discount. Sales would go through the roof. :)

And just for me ... a third variant ... EOS 5-M ... mirrorless. Plus some nice'n small native lenses of course. :)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I´d love to see Canon following that move ... instead of ONE 5D IV ... two of them: a 5D-X with 24MP/10 fps sensor plus a 5D-H with 40+ MP/5 fps sensor. Everything identical except resolution, fps and max ISO.
And then offer them separately and also as "2-body kit" @ 33% discount. Sales would go through the roof. :)
+1 I like that idea.

Upvote 0
These threads crack me up. I am sure Nikon will bring out something a lot of people will love. While it is true that the Df didn't become mainstream (and I personally dislike the look and the concept), many people bought and loved it.
It is good for both camps that the companies are competing. Why bash something that hasn't even come out yet? I do feel that the Nikon lineup has a gap where a versatile FF dSLR equivalent to the 5DIII can sit, the same way Canon users can use a high megapixel, high DR one.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
... While it is true that the Df didn't become mainstream (and I personally dislike the look and the concept), many people bought and loved it.

no. at least not anywhere in Europe. Hardly anybody bought it. Good sensor. Totally botched pseudo-retro user-interface. Consumer-class D600 chassis, instead of using the D800 as sensor-holder for that D4 sensor, sharing everything else with the D800 ... UI, controls, battery, battery grip.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
People are mixing apples and oranges. I agree the incremental upgrades to the D600 and D800 were bad and undermined confidence in the brand. But slotting a new camera in between the existing models would be a good move.

Consumers always want more choices and Nikon is given them another option. With modern manufacturing technologies companies are able to offer more options with small differences in costs.

If Canon chose to offer as many full frame models as they do APS-C, why would anyone complain?

Upvote 0