Another Premium PowerShot This Summer [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that Canon isn’t done with PowerShot announcements this summer, and that we can expect another camera sometime over the summer.</p>
<p>We’re told this premium compact camera will fit into your pocket (no clarification on pocket type), have a “large” sensor, a fast lens, and a short zoom range.</p>
<p>The source wasn’t sure if we were talking about a new camera, such as a “PowerShot G5 X”, or an update to the PowerShot G7 X.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

Any idea on timeframe?

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon isn’t done with PowerShot announcements this summer, and that we can expect another camera sometime over the summer.</p>
<p>We’re told this premium compact camera will fit into your pocket (no clarification on pocket type), have a “large” sensor, a fast lens, and a short zoom range.</p>
<p>The source wasn’t sure if we were talking about a new camera, such as a “PowerShot G5 X”, or an update to the PowerShot G7 X.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

Upvote 0
Proscribo said:
G1x III? :D Well I suppose it could be made pocketable.. at least kinda.... maybe with a 4/3 sensor?

To me this is the only thing that makes sense. The focal range of the G1X II has been basically matched by the G7X, so I wouldn't be surprised if they use the 1.5inch sensor, reduce the focal length (maybe something like a 24-70 equiv f/2.8-f/4) and make it slightly larger than a G7X, but close.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hmm! Interesting and surprising.

I don't know how the sales numbers of the G7X look like. But to bring some internal competition or successor seemed a little bit early to me. But maybe the people were more into the RX100 III and so Canon had to act.

Otherwise it seems more obvious to look for a G17 or G1X III. But that would not fit to
this premium compact camera will fit into your pocket (no clarification on pocket type)
But I am realy curious now about the
will ... have a “large” sensor, a fast lens, and a short zoom range.

Maybe it's going to be a less boring (rumors) summer than expected by some ;)

Upvote 0
Well if it tells you anything, the RX100 I, II, And III all sell better than the G7X.

The G1X, G1X II, and G7X were all short of what Sony offers in the RX100 series.

Canon badly needs a hit, just just another rebadged, mediocre camera already offered by Sony.

Maximilian said:
Hmm! Interesting and surprising.

I don't know how the sales numbers of the G7X look like. But to bring some internal competition or successor seemed a little bit early to me. But maybe the people were more into the RX100 III and so Canon had to act.

Otherwise it seems more obvious to look for a G17 or G1X III. But that would not fit to
this premium compact camera will fit into your pocket (no clarification on pocket type)
But I am realy curious now about the
will ... have a “large” sensor, a fast lens, and a short zoom range.

Maybe it's going to be a less boring (rumors) summer than expected by some ;)

Upvote 0
What camera are you talking about????

crashpc said:
The new 24Mpx APS-C sensor in multi aspect ratio mode, to give good 18-20Mpx of resolution, some short, but sharp zoom lens, and we´re done for no big effort.

I also hope for M competition - more compact ILC with APS-C, using EF-M mount, and some new pancake lens...

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
powershot2012 said:

crashpc said:
The new 24Mpx APS-C sensor in multi aspect ratio mode, to give good 18-20Mpx of resolution, some short, but sharp zoom lens, and we´re done for no big effort.

I also hope for M competition - more compact ILC with APS-C, using EF-M mount, and some new pancake lens...
Maybe he is referring to the probable G1x II successor, which already has a 1,5" sensor (I suppose a APS-C sensor in multiaspect-mode would be about equivalent in size.. probably).

Upvote 0
Yeah but pocket size?

Proscribo said:
powershot2012 said:

crashpc said:

Maybe he is referring to the probable G1x II successor, which already has a 1,5" sensor (I suppose a APS-C sensor in multiaspect-mode would be about equivalent in size.. probably).

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
If they had a 1" sensor , 24-105 equivalent zoom , electronic view finder like a fuji, in a size similar to the Sony RX100 IV I'd probably go for it.
But I don't think they will bring out any compact even close to being as good as the Sony RX100 IV.
1000 FPS capability, 4K video.
They know how to make something attractive even if the price is a bit shocking for a compact.
Canon have lost their Mojo when it comes to compacts. It looks as if they are just going through the motions and not seriously trying to develop anything substantial.
The money isn't in it for them. But that's only because they stopped trying and focussed on DSLRs.

Upvote 0