another...would you?

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
Hi,
currently I don't have any lens reaching above 200mm (unless I use a non-canon 2x converter on the MDP). I have been considering the Sigma 150-500mm or even the Tamron 150-600mm
To fund either purchase, either the Ts-e 90mm (choice #1 to sell) or the Zeiss T18mm will be sacrificed :'( as much as I like both, the truth is they don't see much use lately.
I like the sigma option more, as it' available right now, great price, and I would say better buit quality compared with Tamron.
So, would you do it?
...just trying to get some feedack and opinions to make my mind once for all.
Thanks
Phil

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
NWPhil said:
I like the sigma option more, as it's available right now, great price, and I would say better build quality compared with Tamron...

Slightly off-topic, but I'm not sure where this comes from. Every review I've read indicates that the 150-500 Sigma is a fairly weak performer -- not as good as, say the 50-500 "bigma" and definitely not as sharp as the new Tamron. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm just relying on reviews, but I'd certainly pick the Tamron over the Sigma.

As far as your original question goes, I'm not the one to answer that, as I have zero interest in either of the lenses you own. Nothing wrong with them, but just not my style of photography. So, I'd have no problem selling them both -- but that's just me.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
..thanks, I get the point
I am borderline a lens horder LOL - well, not really, but have a hard time getting rid of any, but I have to keep my imposed limit of 20. Hence the issue - one has to go in order to give romm to a new one at this time.
I know the Ts-e is a great lens, and the 18 has been just mounted on my IR camera.
Do I need 400 or even 600mm reach? It would open new fields and shooting opportunities, as I have other T&S lenses, along with plenty of UWA and WA
Seen many people selling a given lens, and having to re-buy it not too long after, but lately, I have read many posts of people disapointed with either sigma or Tamron teles.
So, could I sneak on more lens, without selling other? Sure, considering what they(lenses) are able/capable of provide, I am really debating if I should make this an exception regarding acquiring a new tele

Upvote 0
The sigma is soft, you will be disappointed. I've not used the tamron but have seen enough from reviews to know that I will be disappointed with that too. With Tele lenses my personal rule is to keep saving until I can afford something that gives better results than just cropping from a good lens of shorter focal length. If you need a tele lens (do you?) then what about a 400mm f5.6L its sharp, light and more rugged than either of the zooms. Worth saving for a few more month in my opinion.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
No, I wouldn't.

I don't need anything beyond 200mm.

+1
I realized if I want anything beyond 200mm, it quickly gets to the unaffordable zone.
For my meager long tele uses, I find the 70-200+2x sufficient.
Now, if the newer 100(70?)-400 comes out pretty sharp with a 1.4x at the tele end, and not costing an arm and a leg- that would get me thinking. Except, I think we all can agree it will cost an arm and a leg.

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
I've rented the 100-400 a couple of times and I really liked it. I liked the push-pull action, found it quite natural to use. Probably would be happy with the tamron too, although the abscence of a panning mode on the IS seems like a big negative point for me.

And whos gonna make the difference between 20-21 lenses anyways?

Upvote 0
NWPhil said:
Hi,
currently I don't have any lens reaching above 200mm (unless I use a non-canon 2x converter on the MDP). I have been considering the Sigma 150-500mm or even the Tamron 150-600mm
To fund either purchase, either the Ts-e 90mm (choice #1 to sell) or the Zeiss T18mm will be sacrificed :'( as much as I like both, the truth is they don't see much use lately.
I like the sigma option more, as it' available right now, great price, and I would say better buit quality compared with Tamron.
So, would you do it?
...just trying to get some feedack and opinions to make my mind once for all.
Thanks
Phil

the tamron is better than the sigma and its AF is amazing however it lacks a panning mode IS which the sigma does have
so if you want to pan with the tamron you have to turn IS off

Upvote 0