Any advice on shooting dragonflies

Pieter

CR Pro
Jul 13, 2014
StudentOfLight said:
I'm quite interested in learning more about their behavior. They tend to fly quite erratically so the better I can understand what they might do, the better I can frame up shots or know where to spend time setting up and waiting for the kind of shots I'm looking for. Hopefully it's not all about running and gunning. Any recommended reading/viewing?

A couple more questions in terms of techniques:
Do you guys actively track with single point or expanded-AF, or do you rather use manual focus and shoot a burst as they fly through the DoF?
What shutter speed will allow for just a tiny bit of motion blur? 1/1000s or 1/1250s? I've attached a shot I took in my garden a couple days ago similar to what I want to achieve in terms of the look of the flight (with motion blur in the wings). The shot of the bee is at 1/800s.

For the in-flight shots I typically use 1/1600 s and f/10 with auto ISO with the 5D III. That will typically be ISO 3200 or 6400, but that's still OK. A lot depends on the species - some hover regularly (eg many Mosaic Darners), and then you can use longer exposure times and get a nice motion blur in the wings. Others are more or less continuously in motion but fly pretty straight (eg the Twelve-spotted Skimmer) so you can get them but you need a fast shutter speed.

A nice species to look out for is the Wandering Glider - see below. These are often attracted to parked cars on hot days, and they hover. (the mating wheel below is more difficult to catch, as the movements become very erratic) They are big, orange/yellow dragonflies.

I've not been able to use autofocus - even with the 5D III. All my in-flight shots are manual focus, and not in burst mode: I follow them, slowly turning the focus ring based on the direction in which the dragonfly is flying, wait for the right moment and press when the dragonfly is in focus. About 1 in 100 shots are keepers - a much higher fraction for hovering species such as the one below. I have never tried it with the 1D X though.

I have tried the 135 f2 - that did not work for me. You have to be too close to get full-body shots of skittish species and it doesn't focus close enough for detail shots. The 70-200 mm with a crop body would probably be great for in-flight shots and typical full-body shots (I use the 300 mm with a full frame).

Attachments

• wandering_glider.jpg
    wandering_glider.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 213
  • mating_wheel.jpg
    mating_wheel.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
20Dave said:
Well, there was one other case - I ran across one that was on its last legs. I felt sorry for the critter...
It's so strange and fascinating, how short their airborne life is. (at least for a lot of their species)
And although it's so short evolution has made them the (al)most perfect aviators.
And that was a hundred million years ago. Since then almost no design change.
I really love to watch them fly.

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
StudentOfLight said:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Static shots for me are not such a problem (if you have even a moderate amount of patience) but in-flight shots appear to be orders of magnitude more difficult. I imagine it takes dedication and fair bit of luck to get good in-flight shots. I can't really control my luck but I can understand my equipment, improve on my technique and be prepared for how the subject might behave.

In my case, practice makes "not terrible all of the time". When they hover, there is a decent chance of getting some shots in flight. Or, soon after they take off is another option.

In terms of bodies I'd probably be using a 5D-III or a 60D attached to Tamron's 70-200mm f/2.8 VC or 150-600mm VC but was also considering using the lightweight 135mm f/2 L. (I got a "free" monopod with my 70-200 which I hardly ever use so I should definitely give it a try...)

Fast focus is critical, so I would think that a 5D3 (which I have) would be light years better than a 6D. The not-yet-real 7D2 looks like it would be a perfect camera as well if you're thinking about getting another one.

I'm quite interested in learning more about their behavior. They tend to fly quite erratically so the better I can understand what they might do, the better I can frame up shots or know where to spend time setting up and waiting for the kind of shots I'm looking for. Hopefully it's not all about running and gunning. Any recommended reading/viewing?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonflies-Damselflies-Princeton-Field-Guides/dp/0691122830 is the bible for the Eastern US.

A couple more questions in terms of techniques:
Do you guys actively track with single point or expanded-AF, or do you rather use manual focus and shoot a burst as they fly through the DoF?

I use both MF and AF. If I'm using the 400mm and an extension tube, or if I'm shooting damselflies, I almost always use MF and take a few shots while moving in and out. The DoF is so micro-thin that AF will miss the eyes as often as not (mostly because of my shaky hands.)

What shutter speed will allow for just a tiny bit of motion blur? 1/1000s or 1/1250s? I've attached a shot I took in my garden a couple days ago similar to what I want to achieve in terms of the look of the flight (with motion blur in the wings). The shot of the bee is at 1/800s.

This shot was at 1/1600, so depending on how much blur you're looking for, around 1/1000 should help keep the body sharp while showing some wing blur.
p350623744-6.jpg

Upvote 0
In my experience, dragonflies are usually quite skittish, but I have a nearby fence where they are quite bold for whatever reason. I have actually nudged one, after approaching very slowly. My advise is look for a galvanized fence where they gather. Oh yes, the fence must have had 30 in a 50' length. Maybe a mating thing...

Attachments

• Dragonfly 2 8-23-2014.JPG
    Dragonfly 2 8-23-2014.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Dave and others thanks for all the great info.

The 7D Mark-II does sound like the ideal camera but it's not in my budget for this year. If I do buy one it will be in 2015 around the time of my local Canon EXPO. Anyway, that's not stopping me from entering any and every competition until then where there's a chance to win one. ;)

Upvote 0