Any fans of Peak Design out there?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I have the CapturePro permanently affixed to my hiking pack's shoulder strap somewhere between my collarbone and pec. I tether my 5D3 + any EF lens up to a 100L to it with the lens facing down. Would not use my 70-200 f/2.8 on it for ergonomic reasons (over my chest moving about and what not), but I'm sure the connection would be fine.

In short, that clip is a godsend for hiking. No weight directly on your neck, no strappy tethered-to-bag sort of stuff to get tangled, no BlackRapid swinging at your hip for miles on end (BR's great, just not for hiking), and no need to dismount the bag to draw your camera. It's right there and quick to dismount, shoot, remount, and keep moving.

Very solid connection with no disconnects, no false positive connections or no problems to speak of. Be advised that your lens may rub/abrade on whatever harder doodads may already be on the shoulder strap you use it on. See pic of my hiking pack -- those little plastic sliders and loops can get trapped between the downward mounted lens and the shoulder strap, and little motions with each stride can scuff up your lens. Hardly the clip's fault, but be advised. My solution (short of ripping those strap plastic bits off) is to wrap of all things a beer coozy around the lens barrel as a padded outer surface. I only do this because of this nutty abrasion risk, but it works like a top.

- A

Attachments

• Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-10L-AW-Back.jpeg
    Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-10L-AW-Back.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
A little update for this thread. I just received notice from PD that some of the anchors (there are 4 versions) are being "recalled". The anchors in question were sold around the middle of August, 2017 and later, and have the thinner cord. Nice to see they truly stand behind their products. To check whether you have any "questionable anchors", you can take the survey at:

https://peakdesign.typeform.com/to/u9JrZC?utm_source=Anchor+Update+Notification&utm_campaign=3dcb32a133-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_21_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7e22016a90-3dcb32a133-69681321&mc_cid=3dcb32a133&mc_eid=56a613f96a

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
brad-man said:
A little update for this thread. I just received notice from PD that some of the anchors (there are 4 versions) are being "recalled". The anchors in question were sold around the middle of August, 2017 and later, and have the thinner cord. Nice to see they truly stand behind their products. To check whether you have any "questionable anchors", you can take the survey at:

https://peakdesign.typeform.com/to/u9JrZC?utm_source=Anchor+Update+Notification&utm_campaign=3dcb32a133-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_21_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7e22016a90-3dcb32a133-69681321&mc_cid=3dcb32a133&mc_eid=56a613f96a
Great, thanks for this little gem of information brad-man. I've got a few of the offending Anchors in use and on standby as spares. It's recalls like this that give me huge respect for the ethics and honesty of Peak Design.

They've been good to me in the past, so I back them and advocate for them at any opportunity.

In a greedy world, their business model is refreshing.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
I recently went on a trip with the older PD Capture. One thing I like is that the mounting plate is Swiss-Arca compatible, making it a mount onto a tripod directly from Clip. That's convenient.

Only three things I like see changes.
First, the mounting plate has a stop to prevent it from turning from the camera base. Somehow, I'm very worried that the plate screw works loose due to the plate twisting and disaster happens. A pin or a lip on the plate would help prevent swivel.
Second, the Clip is designed with a single mounting orientation, as in a vertical belt (of a backpack). It would be nice to have a horizontal orientation which can be mounted on a pant belt.
Third, the tightening screws on the plate has a tendency to loosen. Again, a possibility for disaster to happen if the screws come off. I've often checked and tighten these screws.
-r

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of PD, this popped up recently:

https://petapixel.com/2018/05/26/this-is-why-you-need-to-be-careful-with-camera-clips/

“It’s possible that while walking, the tension screws loosened, and after sitting down, the quick release was pressed down, unlocking the camera. Subsequently, walking with the clip caused the camera to fall. Or, the clip malfunctioned and the locking mechanism just failed. Either way, I’ve been using the clip for a long time before this happened, and having the clip fail twice in a day is a worrying design flaw.”

Ah, yet another armchair product designer that lacks a root cause identification skillset, yet has no compunction whatsoever to render judgment on what happened. :-[

Sorry that his gear got mangled, don't get me wrong, but two drops in one day does not equal a design flaw.

- A

Upvote 0