Any new information about the rumored 200-600mm lens?

Over the years there have been quite a few rumors about a 200-600mm lens, some even showed patents.
There has been a lot of discussion and the consensus was that a 200-600 f5.6 is not a viable option, because
it would get too heavy and too expensive to make.

This would mean that canons best bet is to do what nikon did and release a 200-500 f5.6
Has there been any talk about such a lens? when could such a lens be released? possibly
together with the 7d iii next year?

Addendum:

I am hobby wildlifephotographer and value flexibility and portability a lot. That is why i really enjoy the 150-600 super tele zooms.
For the past year i had the tamron 150-600 g2. It has great stabilisation, weights only two kilos and has ok build quality. It had one
Problem though. The image quality wasnt really great. It was ok and most would be happy, but i want to print relatively big and the sharpnes wasnt holding up for that.
Thats why i bought the sigma 150-600 sport. At least my copy of it gets really close to the canon 100-400 ii image quality, so that
is really statisfying. But the stabilisation in the viewfinder is way way worse than tamron or canon and it also weighs one kilo more.

If canon can release a 200-500 f5.6 with sharpness close to the 100-400 ii with their great build quality, their good image stabilisation
and make it relativly light weight, they would have the optimal wildlife lens for people that like to be flexible.

Last edited:
A 200-500 f/5.6L would be a great addition to the EF lineup (and even better for the R lineup). If it was an EF lens, it would be the next step from 16-35 + 24-70 + 70-200 (or 17-40 + 24-105 + 70-200). At the R lineup it would be even better, because we could have a 200-500 f/5.6L and a 400-1000 f/11.2 with the TC 2x as the R camera focuses at f/11.2.

Upvote 0
I have read in Canon Rumors that a Canon RF 12-35 mm lens is under construction, if it is a reality then I will highly support it and will be the first person to buy one. In my opinion this lens will be a hit lens if it is to the highest canon quality standers like EF 11-24 mm f4L and new RF 28-70 f2.8 lens. This RF 12-35 mm lens must not be under f2.8 if non f2. My dream from Canon is a lens like RF 10-30 mm f2.8 Rectilinear and one like RF 24-240mm f2.8. Viogtlander proudly have a 10mm rectilinear lens and Sony is offering a 24-240mm zoom lens, so desired lenses are not impossible. Please keep me informed.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It has been awhile.

Here is the patent from 2015:

https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-canon-ef-200-600mm-f4-5-5-6-is/

The rumors have come in mostly as a non-L lens, which makes no sense to me.

This is one of those, I would not hold my breath. I will say, however, Canon has a chance to reinvent a few things with the EOS-R lineup. We'll see.

Upvote 0
It has been awhile.

Here is the patent from 2015:

https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-canon-ef-200-600mm-f4-5-5-6-is/

The rumors have come in mostly as a non-L lens, which makes no sense to me.

This is one of those, I would not hold my breath. I will say, however, Canon has a chance to reinvent a few things with the EOS-R lineup. We'll see.
Why does a non-L make no sense? That is exactly what Nikon has (a non pro 200-500) that is reasonably priced and from what I know well received. What I really want, though, is a Canon mount (either from Canon or Sigma or Tamron) of the new Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF (their version of DO). Honestly if I had the money I would switch to Nikon just for the D850 body and this lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Why does a non-L make no sense? That is exactly what Nikon has (a non pro 200-500) that is reasonably priced and from what I know well received. What I really want, though, is a Canon mount (either from Canon or Sigma or Tamron) of the new Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF (their version of DO). Honestly if I had the money I would switch to Nikon just for the D850 body and this lens.
Fair enough. If Canon makes a non-L version that has great IQ, and good build. I will not complain whether or not it has a red ring on the front of it. If it is reasonably priced, even better.

And I should not infer that just because a lens is non-L that it isn't quality. It can be. Some are just ok, but many are great lenses.

My statement is more about what I want, which is an EF 200-600 lens that ranks in their highest quality, which is typically an L lens. My concern is that if it isn't an "L" it will be nerfed in some way shape or form. First the lens has to be released....then we find out how good it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0